General Help needed! - 2012 Fiat 500 in Brighton & Hove

Currently reading:
General Help needed! - 2012 Fiat 500 in Brighton & Hove

Revisiting this as it turns out my daughter never registered the car in her name when I bought it for her (she moves around a lot and was waiting to 'settle somewhere', that was three towns ago). As a result she doesn't have the V5 and I can't list the car for sale until she's sorted that out with DVLA.

I have looked at getting the car transporting to my home in York - best quote from over a dozen was £365 which is too much given the value of the car. We will instead have to look at moving the car to a garage for assessment, repair and MoT - garage recommendations anywhere 'near' Hove would be welcome.

Thanks.

Costs £25 to register the V5 with DVLA takes about a week to receive the new V5.

V62 form at the post office
I did it recently with my wife's V5 we didn't have one or receive one from the dealer when we bought the car in 2016 pretty sure I did it on line.

Last edited:
I've spoken to Yvette at SCS and booked a transporter to take the 500 there tomorrow - £104, which I thought was ok.

Fingers crossed the car hasn't got too many issues!

Revisiting this as it turns out my daughter never registered the car in her name when I bought it for her (she moves around a lot and was waiting to 'settle somewhere', that was three towns ago). As a result she doesn't have the V5 and I can't list the car for sale until she's sorted that out with DVLA.

I have looked at getting the car transporting to my home in York - best quote from over a dozen was £365 which is too much given the value of the car. We will instead have to look at moving the car to a garage for assessment, repair and MoT - garage recommendations anywhere 'near' Hove would be welcome.

Thanks.
Join the AA with recovery option, then wait a couples of days and then make out it’s just broken down and get it recovered back to home. She gets a lift then as well. Cost should be cheaper that way. Only problem is explaining the rusty brake discs. I bought a mini with a knackered gearbox that way, was gonna tow it home but realized when i got there gearbox was locked so wouldn’t tow. Didn’t cost me a penny from Hereford to Leicestershire 😉 If she doesn’t want to travel back with it she can just send it unaccompanied

Join the AA with recovery option, then wait a couples of days and then make out it’s just broken down and get it recovered back to home. She gets a lift then as well. Cost should be cheaper that way. Only problem is explaining the rusty brake discs. I bought a mini with a knackered gearbox that way, was gonna tow it home but realized when i got there gearbox was locked so wouldn’t tow. Didn’t cost me a penny from Hereford to Leicestershire 😉 If she doesn’t want to travel back with it she can just send it unaccompanied
With no v5c..
It's probably untaxed 😉

Wrapping this up with a positive recommendation for SCS, they were excellent at keeping in touch with me, proceeding in good faith (bearing in mind they never met me, I was just a voice on the phone) and discussing all the work in detail with prices in advance.
My daughter now has her car back and is delighted with it. I know it is safe again and would happily use SCS for her car's further maintenance and MoT in due course.
Thanks to everyone who commented and offered advice, it is much appreciated.

Back