Technical Fiat 500 2012 Coolant Leak

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat 500 2012 Coolant Leak

jb100

Hello, new owner here. I have a coolant leak from the right side (as you look at the car from the front) where a metal plate bolts to a block. In the pictures and linked video you can see the dried pink residue. Can anyone tell me if the plate that bolts to the block has a gasket that's replaceable or is there a seal built in to the metal part that bolts to the block? Depending on the answer to my question, I would be grateful if anyone had a part number. The car is a 2012 reg WV62YSO.
Fiat 500 2012 Coolant Leak Wide Shot.jpeg
Fiat 500 2012 Coolant Leak CU Shot.jpeg

That be your thermostat. These are not har do replace at all and cost just under £30. Shop4parts do an " Original Birth" make which I have bought and found good quality. You need to ensure you het a thermostat with the rubber seal as some are supplied without it.

Tanks you to those that gave advice. I have changed the thermostat and so far so good. One last question, I don't seem to get fluid coming out of the coolant bleed valve when I open it?

Tanks you to those that gave advice. I have changed the thermostat and so far so good. One last question, I don't seem to get fluid coming out of the coolant bleed valve when I open it?
I think you need to run the engine open the interior heater to full....and it should expel the air when bleed valve is fully open.

Partially open valve (screw)

Queeze front radiator hose until fluid appears at screw

Keep hose squeezed and close screw

That has expelled air 😉

KEEP ANE EYE ON COOLANT LEVEL!

It could take 500 miles to fully 'burp'. Itself free of air.

open the interior heater to full
Unusually, these cars do not have a water control valve in the heater circuit; coolant is circulated continuously through the heater matrix when the engine is running. The cabin temperature is contolled by a set of flaps which adjust the flow of air through the heater.

Consequently, when bleeding the coolant, the position of the heater controls is irrelevant.

Stopping the flow of Hot coolant through the dashboard can be a big gain in Hot weather
That's an interesting idea!

It would also reduce the warmup time in cold weather, though I don't suppose a properly working thermostat would let much through until the engine was at least warm.

I wonder what could be salvaged from some other completely different vehicle. Rigging up a valve that could be operated from under the bonnet is probably fairly straightforward; having something that's selectable from inside the cabin would be more challenging to organise, but also more useful.

It only needs to be an 'on/off' valve; I'm thinking an electrically driven motorised valve with a switch in the cabin would make for a neat installation.

The idea of using a cheap salvaged part from some high end vehicle has some appeal. I once needed a small length of fuel hose for an ancient Hillman Avenger, and the kindly local Merc dealer gave a piece for free; thereafter I described the car as being 'part Mercedes'!

Last edited:
Somebody on here had a 500l with troubled Climate Dashboard flaps..
I suggested a valve to them

Decades ago the 1988 era Tipo had a plastic arm that drove both the Air In flap AND the coolant control valve

The valve got tight over time.. And sheared the cable operated mechanism. (common failure..)

I patched up the Flap to cable... So was still controllable by the Twisty knob dashboard controls

The Coolant valve I reached under the Dash and Opened.. Or Closed by hand

(it was virtually " Winter or Summer"
Like our old Airbox intakes of the 70's.... Aimed at the Exhaust Manifold.. Or to fresh air)

Like the old Vanden Plas 4.0R you could have a Rolls Royce badge on the back "Heater Valve by RR"
methinks it would take more than a heater valve.

It wasn't until they fitted the 175HP RR FB60 engine that the VP really came into its own.

How's about a Panda with an F140 engine!

Last edited:
Back