Technical Help need please

Currently reading:
Technical Help need please

mb1357

Hello I am new to the Forum. I have a Fiat Panda 1.2 Auto 2007. It has broken down on Xmas Eve and I had to be recovered. Apparantly I need a crank position sensor (code p0335)
I have looked on the Forum and will check ECU connectors and spray with WD40 but thought I would change the sensor. Is it easy to locate please. Any advice really appreciated. Oh and a Merry Xmas
Michael

These images:

Top shows the sensors wire..passing over top of engine..to a plug

Bottom of engine.. pulley unbolted

The Crank sensor is that Black cylinder at 3 o' clock in the photo

The pulley is 3 bolts 13mm hex head on mine.. BEWARE there is a ting hole.. and corresponding 'pip' this is crucial for the timing of sparks :)

Charlie

The sesnor can be removed without any other dismantling, although raising the car make it easier. One bolt holds it in, and its plug is close by.
Readily available, once stores open.
If urgent, where are you? I have my old one somewhere, replaced, but afterwards thought not necessary. If you're close to me, I could deliver it.

Hi Michael :)

Not sure how that was diagnosed?
As they are infamous.. they dont leave an error code..

Try cranking the engine.. does the Rev counter move at all??... that signal is from the Crank sensor
Rev counter doesnt work

The sesnor can be removed without any other dismantling, although raising the car make it easier. One bolt holds it in, and its plug is close by.
Readily available, once stores open.
If urgent, where are you? I have my old one somewhere, replaced, but afterwards thought not necessary. If you're close to me, I could deliver it.
Cheers Bill thank you for kind offer but will wait. I have cleared code btw using a cheap (£*)OBD2 sensor and online app . I will let you know how I get on.

These images:

Top shows the sensors wire..passing over top of engine..to a plug

Bottom of engine.. pulley unbolted

The Crank sensor is that Black cylinder at 3 o' clock in the photo

The pulley is 3 bolts 13mm hex head on mine.. BEWARE there is a ting hole.. and corresponding 'pip' this is crucial for the timing of sparks :)

Charlie
Thanks Charlie

Does it matter what make I buy as they range from about £12 (Ridex) upwards

There will be a few manufacturers of aftermarket sensors, but more brands than manufacturers, so what's in the box might be the same, at different prices. Even the OE brands will share sensors, to complete their range, but will always ensure high quality. Unless you know a brand, you have no idea what their quality is. Most of the cheaper brands go for 'adequate'.
Suggesting Ridex means you're looking at Autodoc, or one of their alternative websites, including BuyCarParts. There are others, but all are supplied from Germany, so take a week. And the delivery charge is high for simple items, easier to justify if you're buying a list.
Euro Car Parts seem to have high prices.
GSF, if there's one near you, have these: https://www.gsfcarparts.com/parts/electrical-lighting/sensors/crankshaft-pulse-sensor
Intermotor is a good brand, that do work on their quality, and manufacture most of their branded stuff themselves. (Visited the factory, watched production, seen the R&D and testing of failed components)
Facet used to make just fuel pumps, but have expanded into other electrical stuff. no idea if they make their own stuff, but quality will be good. Your choice will depend on your wallet.

These guys are very good, well respected by many on here, including me. https://www.shop4parts.co.uk/?name=store&op=Product&ProdID=3263
That's a Facet branded item, so they obviously are happy with the quality. Their delivery service is very good, so compare the total price, including delivery, with the cost of collecting one from your nearest GSF.

There will be a few manufacturers of aftermarket sensors, but more brands than manufacturers, so what's in the box might be the same, at different prices. Even the OE brands will share sensors, to complete their range, but will always ensure high quality. Unless you know a brand, you have no idea what their quality is. Most of the cheaper brands go for 'adequate'.
Suggesting Ridex means you're looking at Autodoc, or one of their alternative websites, including BuyCarParts. There are others, but all are supplied from Germany, so take a week. And the delivery charge is high for simple items, easier to justify if you're buying a list.
Euro Car Parts seem to have high prices.
GSF, if there's one near you, have these: https://www.gsfcarparts.com/parts/electrical-lighting/sensors/crankshaft-pulse-sensor
Intermotor is a good brand, that do work on their quality, and manufacture most of their branded stuff themselves. (Visited the factory, watched production, seen the R&D and testing of failed components)
Facet used to make just fuel pumps, but have expanded into other electrical stuff. no idea if they make their own stuff, but quality will be good. Your choice will depend on your wallet.

These guys are very good, well respected by many on here, including me. https://www.shop4parts.co.uk/?name=store&op=Product&ProdID=3263
That's a Facet branded item, so they obviously are happy with the quality. Their delivery service is very good, so compare the total price, including delivery, with the cost of collecting one from your nearest GSF.
Thank you so much you have been brilliant; GSF sold out will go with Shop4parts

I’d be tempted to go OEM from the scrapyard less than a £5

The Bosch sensor as used on the

Engines rarely fails and it’s only one bolt to undo

You can normally tell if the sensor is weak because it’s not as magnetic when you touch it with a screwdriver

P0335 has been just the sensor in the past. Fingers crossed it will be the case this time.

Last edited:
Yes probably, maybe

It’s happened in the past where people have changed for third party cheapest or fake sensors only for the same fault to be present and then go round in circles changing everything else. Mainly ABS and MAP sensors as we don’t see many crank ones fail

If you buy from a quality shop you stand more chance of it working as they will normally only supply parts known to work.

Thanks all I will let you know how I get on. Slightly off topic we have 2 Pandas , my wife has a 2020 model. I am going to sell this one as I dont need an automatic and it very occasionally slips into N when driving. I want a Mk 1 Classic , manual that has been well looked after

Shop4Parts every time for me. Though they do have their blind spots.
Yup, shop4parts or GGB as they still are locally…Many blindspots now, mainly standard service bits and a few accessories. They’ve also suffered with brexit as importanting bits involved a lot more paperwork and costs and some importers not bothering with UK anymore
They used to be able to source anything for your Fiat/Lancia, including real performance bits from Italy, including an race cam kit for your 850/903 with timing belt not chain. Iknew someone that had it on their 903 pig-van along with a finned aluminium sump and twin carbs, manifolds etc…it was certainly quicker getting to sixty but was ‘entertaining’ going round corners, come in Colin Wright if you’re still out there?!?

Thanks again all; anyway ordered new sensor . I will check the connector for any damage etc. Presumably the fault could lie in the wiring from sensor to ECU , time will tell. One thing I didnt mention is when the car first started missing the temp gauage swung to max then a second or so later back to normal. No evidence of overheating . Did it a couple of times followed by yellow light which was identified P0335. The breakdown guy said it could be the ECU being confused with signals etc. Who knows?? The light is now out and I will see how long it lasts before I do anything as I will only be driving local.
Update: Just started car yellow warning light on , no rev counter. At least I will know if its the sensor when I replace it.

Last edited:
Had a feel around and although I cant see appears there is a loose wire near sensor; small yellow grommet came off in my hand (see attached). If its dry tommorow will jack car up and report back!

Attachments

• IMAG0024.jpg
    IMAG0024.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
That looks like the sealing grommet from inside an electrical connector.
Ive got underneath the loose connector looks like it was connected to oil filter housing I have clicked it back in. Everything else looks fine , cleaned Crank connections with WD40, error code back no RPM. So will wait for new sensor and go from there at least I know where it is to remove. If this doesnt work God knows. Timing belt looks OK

Back