Technical HELP mouse in the engine?

Currently reading:
Technical HELP mouse in the engine?

Just driven 170miles down into Northumberland (forgot how steep the hills were). But my car has developed an engine noice out of the norm.

Sounds like the fan belt slipping but it makes no sound at idle, make no sound when the engine is revved, makes no sound if your driving along and lift off the throttle, it only makes the noise under load. Also this problem only occurs when the engine is up to temp, its silent when the engine is cold and it doesn't make the noise when I'm reversing, noise is apparent in all forward gears.

No performance issues, other than the fact I've got a fully laden 1.2 on the Northern Himalayas! ;)

Any ideas? I basically need to know if this will survive the week until I get back home or if I need to attend to it now.

Yeah car is pulling ok, no clutch slipping (I know what that feels like), and these hills around Northumberland would definately show up clutch slip as many of them are full throttle 3rd gear jobs just to maintain speed lol.

Would the fan belt scenario make sence if its only when the car is moving under engine load. As it doesn't make a sound when revved stationary or when lifting off accelerator.

Nope only poked my head under bonnet momentarily, but the airleak is a good shout. Changed the airfilter and the sparkplugs only recently so I did disturb the air pipes and noticed that a small pipe off the engine breather pipe had a chink in it (which may have gone all the way through) and I bound it up with tape.

If I get a chance I'll check it tomorrow morning, cheers guys.

I did disturb the air pipes and noticed that a small pipe off the engine breather pipe had a chink in it (which may have gone all the way through) and I bound it up with tape.

Ha! Now you tell us:)
That'll be the source of your problem

...noticed that a small pipe off the engine breather pipe had a chink in it (which may have gone all the way through) and I bound it up with tape.

Is it the 1" that goes from the engine to the throttle valve area? If so, the engine would suck air under heavy load here. You should cut the "sick" area off, make a joint (don't smoke it and drive) replace with some extra hose (from a radioator shop) or you could just plug the end that goes into the throttle and put a little cone filter on the breather pipe, where you cut it off. Then you won't get hot and contaminated air into the intake anymore. Your 1.2 will like it, I remember my Uno 1.1 loved it going uphills on full load.

As I need a quick fix and I'm 170miles away from my tools would a possibility be a bike puncture repair kit? One of the self stick pads? I mean It can keep air compressed inside an inner tube but would it be man enough to keep oil fumes from an engine contained?

Cheers for the offer, might drop you a message if I can get it sorted with a visit to halfords for provisions! Fingers crossed..... If I'm lucky they might have those plastic pipe joiners in the right size and a stanley knife I can borrow, failing that I'll try the puncture repair kit which will hopefully do until I get home.

Well the fault has not been fixed but I am now home in one piece! Now the bloody exhaust is blowing at the flexi pipe! Which in itself is a right pain in the nuts because I only just had the entire exhaust replaced, so i'll be off to the garage were it was fitted and get them to re-do their work properly this time! :) Which I'm certain they'll do no bother.

Maybe the squeek was related to the start of the exhaust blow!

I still can't get my head around why the squeek only occurs when the engine is hot, and why it doesn't do it at idle only under engine load (ikn gear when moving).

Fixed the rubber pipe with a superglue brush, totally air tight now as I applied the glue then waited 3 hours before starting the engine up.

Now I need someone to help me identify the part so I can order up a replacement! 1.2 Stilo top of engine, right side beather pip from top of engine to air filter pipe with a smaller pipe that seems to go into the inlet.

Does it sound like a squeak or similar which you can't hear if the stereo is on???

If so I'd like to know what it is as well I have had the car checked over and everything is in it's place and all working well just an irritating squeak squeak (and no it's not the brakes) It's just bloody annoying:bang:

Well my squeek only happens when driving, but only when the engine is taking load. In that you can't dip the clutch, or even lift off the accelerator as the sound goes instantly. It doesn't do it when you sit in neutral and rev. And today I tried a wee thing I'd read on other forums and that was dip the clutch a tiny bit and see if the noise goes, which would suggest the thrust bearing, but its not that either.

I'm gonna assume its a bit of contamination on the clutch, as it dies away away when you spank it but then returns when your on a medium throttle.

Now that i've got the xcarlink at least I can ignore it, and it gives the peons on the street a warning I'm coming lol.

Back