Technical [Help] Fiat Stilo 1.6 16v Engine fault light on

Currently reading:
Technical [Help] Fiat Stilo 1.6 16v Engine fault light on

I need help for my Fiat Stilo 1.6 16v (103) 2004 year.

Engine fault light on

Errors:
P0105
P1222
P0340

I have changed new camshaft sensor
And new crankshaft sensor.

I have 3 MAP sensors
With existing one engine didn't start
I have replaced another MAP sensor
engine start but max RPM is 3500.

Electrician said that MAP sensor trigger this 3 errors.

Should I buy new MAP sensor or it's something else maybe more serious?? Maybe ECU.. 🤔
Or it's short circuit
This days was so rainy maybe some connector got watery.

and does this correct OEM for Fiat Stilo 1.6 16v
OEM 46451792
OEM 71714218
OEM 71718233
OEM 71718678

thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230617_183156_Torque.jpg
    Screenshot_20230617_183156_Torque.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
You might also have a vacuum leak. In that case changing the map sensor will not fix the issue.

Camshaft sensor is interesting one. When has this car had cambelt changed? (y) If never, then source of all the trouble might be there.

You might also have a vacuum leak. In that case changing the map sensor will not fix the issue.

Camshaft sensor is interesting one. When has this car had cambelt changed? (y) If never, then source of all the trouble might be there.
Thanks but
Cambelt it's new, rollers too, water pump also new.
To change camshaft sensor need to remove cambelt. 😉 Otherwise not possible.

About vacuum it's under 0,30 bar which means engine works very good and at my car vacuum is about 0,27 bar.

I think something trigger errors. Maybe MAP sensor maybe short circuit, connector is wet maybe because fall much rain. Maybe it's ECU idk.

Then the belt has jumped a tooth so timing is incorrect or was not set correctly when belt was changed.

Check vacuum leaks on the intake side.

Last edited:
New scan
1. MAP sensor not working
2. P1222 accelator potentiometer track 2 (Throttle body not opening all, but max RPM is 3600, maybe from MAP sensor, maybe is pedal, maybe throttle body)

Attachments

• received_963579261513001.jpeg
    received_963579261513001.jpeg
    127.6 KB · Views: 54
P1222 is the accelerator throttle PEDAL, meaning the actual pedal from the inside that goes through various wires to the ECU.
P0105 can be thrown for many random and unrelated issues, usually it means more (or less) air is present to the intake manifold than what should've passed from the throttle body.
P0340 is the code you should NOT be seeing under any circumstances. If the timing belt was changed recently (and such an error was NOT present before) I would be almost 99% certain that the issue for all the codes is this. Using an oscilloscope you can verify that the sensor itself works, so you do not throw money for a new one. They RARELY fail (if not never).

If the ECU was faulty you would see many random errors and usually at least one related to the throttle body itself (not the pedal).

The most stupid thing you can do is to assume that because it is a 1.6 it must be a bad ECU. Then you will waste a ton of $$$ and the problem will almost certainly remain.

So troubleshooting steps:

1. Check for vacuum leaks (google how to do it)
2. Clean your throttle body with carb cleaner
3. Clean all electrical connections (sensors plugs, throttle body 6pin plug, throttle pedal plug, D4 etc) with electrical contact cleaner.
4. Check all the grounds and verify that you do not have voltage leaks. SPECIAL CARE to the battery negative terminal cable which can trigger MAP sensor faults if not clean. The terminal costs 3$ or less so please replace it if it cannot stay in place or if it corroded.
5. Get a someone to back-probe the camshaft sensor. If the signal comes and goes, then it could be it (X: DOUBT).
6. Re-check the timing (with proper tools, google it. You will need to go to a good shop for that). It could very well jump a tooth and mess the air intake. If that's the case, you hope that your valves are OK, as one more tooth can mean ruined valves.

P1222 is the accelerator throttle PEDAL, meaning the actual pedal from the inside that goes through various wires to the ECU.
P0105 can be thrown for many random and unrelated issues, usually it means more (or less) air is present to the intake manifold than what should've passed from the throttle body.
P0340 is the code you should NOT be seeing under any circumstances. If the timing belt was changed recently (and such an error was NOT present before) I would be almost 99% certain that the issue for all the codes is this. Using an oscilloscope you can verify that the sensor itself works, so you do not throw money for a new one. They RARELY fail (if not never).

If the ECU was faulty you would see many random errors and usually at least one related to the throttle body itself (not the pedal).

The most stupid thing you can do is to assume that because it is a 1.6 it must be a bad ECU. Then you will waste a ton of $$$ and the problem will almost certainly remain.

So troubleshooting steps:

1. Check for vacuum leaks (google how to do it)
2. Clean your throttle body with carb cleaner
3. Clean all electrical connections (sensors plugs, throttle body 6pin plug, throttle pedal plug, D4 etc) with electrical contact cleaner.
4. Check all the grounds and verify that you do not have voltage leaks. SPECIAL CARE to the battery negative terminal cable which can trigger MAP sensor faults if not clean. The terminal costs 3$ or less so please replace it if it cannot stay in place or if it corroded.
5. Get a someone to back-probe the camshaft sensor. If the signal comes and goes, then it could be it (X: DOUBT).
6. Re-check the timing (with proper tools, google it. You will need to go to a good shop for that). It could very well jump a tooth and mess the air intake. If that's the case, you hope that your valves are OK, as one more tooth can mean ruined valves.
Thanks
These no vacuum leak.
I have removed battery and removed all connectors and cleaned with contact cleaner. Only throttle body connector was corroded 1 contact.
I have special tool for Fiat 1.6 timing belt,
These no mistake at timing belt settings.
Engine work perfect it's silent, just it's problem with electronics.
I have tried other Fiat STILO 0280752227 Accelerator Pedal Bosch and it's doing the same.
Tried to clear fault codes
And same fault codes return back after
Changed other MAP sensor
RPM goes max to 3600

I have removed noozle from throttle body the butterfly opens slightly, not fully.
I must try with other Throttle body.

Weak point of 182B6000 engine is electronic throttle body.

Attachments

• 20230615_121929.jpg
    20230615_121929.jpg
    13.8 MB · Views: 73
  • 20230620_122805.jpg
    20230620_122805.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 76
A bad throttle body can kill an ECU. It is no coincidence that ECUs on 1.6 Stilos usually fail on the DBW throttle driver (5V).

However, I find it very, very strange to cause an issue with P0340. If the timing was set correctly, you could have messed with the sensor wiring or even sensor position when changing the belt, resulting to this issue. Unless you have a good known throttle body where you can actually test it first without buying, I would first try to isolate the root cause of P0340.

PS. Keep in mind that 90%+ of used 1.6 throttle bodies are JUNK.

PS2. Also refer to this thread. He resolved with with a new sensor AND redoing the cambelt. But as he says, it was almost certainly a jumped tooth.

Did you change the timing belt yourself or went to a shop?

A bad throttle body can kill an ECU. It is no coincidence that ECUs on 1.6 Stilos usually fail on the DBW throttle driver (5V).

However, I find it very, very strange to cause an issue with P0340. If the timing was set correctly, you could have messed with the sensor wiring or even sensor position when changing the belt, resulting to this issue. Unless you have a good known throttle body where you can actually test it first without buying, I would first try to isolate the root cause of P0340.

PS. Keep in mind that 90%+ of used 1.6 throttle bodies are JUNK.

PS2. Also refer to this thread. He resolved with with a new sensor AND redoing the cambelt. But as he says, it was almost certainly a jumped tooth.

Did you change the timing belt yourself or went to a shop?

I will buy new throttle body.

These no jumping teeth on the timing belt.
I didn't went to workshop, I did my self timing belt.
Engine works perfect
Once time before 1 year I have set bad for 1 teeth I know how it's working and now there is no such a thing now. I will record video to see how quite is engine working.

I said throttle body not opening, it's stuck even with hand you can't open fully.

Does anyone have experience to change throttle body and accelator pedal with wire, from older Bravo or Brava. Does ECU going to work like that?

Does anyone have experience to change throttle body and accelator pedal with wire, from older Bravo or Brava. Does ECU going to work like that?
Forget it. You need the ECU and wiring loom from the Lancia Lybra 1.6 (182b6000) because Bravo/Brava had a different engine. On top of that you need another pedal with wire, another throttle body from Lybra etc.

The issue with throttle body not openning fully is probably because you are in LIMP mode, so the ECU is NOT allowing the throttle body to open fully. Unless you take your old throttle body to a good known working 1.6 Stilo you cannot be sure you need a new one. You might as well spend 250€+ and have the same problem.

But I have to ask you again: did you have code P0340 BEFORE you changed the timing belt?

I found this.. https://www.drive2.ru/l/580883538899894592

I went to electrician he said to me
In the ECU, That left with yellow marked fails, not that with green or red or blue marks.
Seems I need to bring ECU to repair.

Attachments

• 20230621_102017.jpg
    20230621_102017.jpg
    894.9 KB · Views: 102
  • D0lYBOk8z5EdxuRgCfJX_p3qcrY-1920.jpg
    D0lYBOk8z5EdxuRgCfJX_p3qcrY-1920.jpg
    969.6 KB · Views: 105
Yes, I had forgotten about this russian thread. You are correct, it can indeed be this IC. This is the 5V generator. Usually it fails after the throttle driver has failed.

You can search for more info on this from the polish klubfiatstilo pl. He explained this very well. But I don't remember seeing P0340. Also the russian guy didn't report P0340, so you hope based on P1222 fault. I hope you are correct.

Please update if this fixes your problem.

But this guy has a different error! P0335! this is for crankshaft position sensor, not camshaft position sensor.

But this guy has a different error! P0335! this is for crankshaft position sensor, not camshaft position sensor.
Yes I agree
But that doesn't matter much
Error it's an error
Different yes
But engine don't work good because electronics and RPM is max 3600
At this video RPM was less but after he fixed ECU engine worked normal.

You clearly have a completely wrong idea of why the ECU decides to go to LIMP mode.

In my 1.6 Stilo, if you search, you will find that I was getting P0638. But my ECU was 100% GOOD!

It would sometimes (but not always) also throw error about injector 3, along random misfires on both cylinder 3 and 4.

And I fixed it by cleaning ALL 4 injectors (ultrasonic cleaning by a pro) as well 4 NEW GENUINE spark plugs. I cannot be sure if it was only the spark plugs my issue, but those 2 combined meant that I never saw a P0638 again.

At some point I saw P1121 error alongside P0105. Again LIMP mode max RPM 3000 etc. And it was a dodgy connector to the throttle body CABLE (yes, that 6 pin cable that comes from the butterfly unit and goes to the loom port). I just cleaned it with WD40 ELECTRICAL CONTACT CLEANER and that was it. I also secured the wires so they don't hang like before, to make a good connection.

Should I've gone to waste $$$ for a new ECU as your logic suggests? Rhetoric question.

Back