Technical [Help] Fiat Stilo 1.6 16v

Currently reading:
Technical [Help] Fiat Stilo 1.6 16v

I would check the ECU error codes. You'll need an ECU code reader to plug in and access any stored errors. The error number(s) will give you an indication of what's causing the problem.

It sounds as though the throttle position sensor is playing up, or there is some problem with the Mass Airflow meter or even the lambda sensor.. but whatever it is, it will very likely have produced an error code and stored it in the ECU.

Ralf S.
I would also go with the reply that it is either 'Throttle Position Sensor oe mass air flow only two things that would most likely cause this problemo. Good Luck in the world of Diagnostics. A Bi Directional scanner is a good purchase!

Olá, conseguiu resolver esse problema?
Que pasa Hombre, donde vives usted? soy en Nueva Zelanda ahora, ee yo apprendo Español en los canarios. yo tocar la guitarra por seis años por los touristas en los hoteles. tambien, todas los costas e.g. Costa del Sol, Costa Blanca / Costa Brava. Benidorn para mi es mejor.

Já verificou a compressão do motor? Normalmente, um carro que não consegue ficar em marcha lenta de forma constante tem uma falha interna no motor.

Prepare-se para ter uma carteira gorda, porque este carro vai precisar de mais carinho e carinho.
Yes, I changed all this, tested 3 air mass sensors, I just didn't change the TBI body, looked at the engine psychologicals. And I gave up, I sold the car today, the same happiness I bought for liking the car, and being several years old (it doesn't compare because it was in Brazil), and the same happiness of having sold it here in Europe. haha I'll be quiet for a while, and then I'll see what trouble I get into, after all, my life is about solving problems and solving them, and then looking for more problems. 😅😅
I appreciate your great help, thank you very much!

Black is the problematic European.

And gray is what I had in Brazil, it was just happiness.

Attachments

• IMG_20230610_172529.jpg
    IMG_20230610_172529.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20230522_175543.jpg
    IMG_20230522_175543.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20221105_164821.jpg
    IMG_20221105_164821.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20210423_172007.jpg
    IMG_20210423_172007.jpg
    961.8 KB · Views: 38
Yes, I changed all this, tested 3 air mass sensors, I just didn't change the TBI body, looked at the engine psychologicals. And I gave up, I sold the car today, the same happiness I bought for liking the car, and being several years old (it doesn't compare because it was in Brazil), and the same happiness of having sold it here in Europe. haha I'll be quiet for a while, and then I'll see what trouble I get into, after all, my life is about solving problems and solving them, and then looking for more problems. 😅😅

I have to strip this 'Black' one down again cannot get oil pressure, so cam belt off again and sump off. must check the big ends for any damage. Probleo when you buy cars that have a broken cambelt? lol All good fun in the great metropolis. Hey Buenos suertes para ti gusta mucho gente de Español ee Latina gente tienes mucho corazon. Escucha mi en Áudiomack ee SoundCloud yo es en Spotify tambien algo triente plaza´s en el mundo los Musica de Campo. Country Music . Hope you understand my Spanish I learned it in the street of the 6 years I was in Spain Hasta la luego Guix. Like the pics.

Last edited:

The black one is exactly like mine!

Congratulations! Fiats are quite poorly kept so take your time to find another hidden gem that does not have issues. (y) Usually most of the car electronics just don't fail like that unless it had been in a flood or someone drove it to the sea. Good luck!

99% it was a faulty throttle body. Assuming the timing was correct (which is very, very easy to get wrong on the 1.6) it is the next logical reason to give unstable idle with a good ECU.

The sad thing is that you didn't even go through the usual checklist before declaring that you cannot fix it. Instead, you followed the bad practise of randomly changing parts, without following the clues you were given.

But many Stilo owners have thrown money on a throttle body and a new ecu without fixing it. Some hobbyist enjoy this kind of challenges but most of us can't afford throwing money into a pit like that.

Please read what I wrote again. You need to justify what you change. By using the correct tools you can verify where the issue lies. Otherwise it is pure luck.

Yes, indeed if one is a professional mechanic. Most of us aren't and we need luck.

Yes, indeed if one is a professional mechanic. Most of us aren't and we need luck.
No, this is completely wrong. There is a ton of knowledge both in this forum as well as on Youtube with channels like ScannerDanner and others. The most "advanced" tool is an oscilloscope but is sometimes not needed if a good diagnostic is used (e.g., MultiECUScan for our Fiats).

Now returning to this thread because I had forgot it, he didn't even mention to test the lambda sensor as lambda is one of the most important sensors for the mixture as well as idling. There have been multiple reports of lambdas that fail with the exact same issue and not giving a code. But he given him a code and he ignored it, so here we go. Unfortunately, he did the stupid thing to pay for another ECU.

This car has already taken my sleep away. I replaced his ECU with a used one, since it is no longer new, however, this one was still sealed, as I had to open it and send it to a factory reset to be able to turn it on in this car. With the ECU reset, it turned on, ran a few days later and appeared on the panel again, "Engine failure", blinked three times, the car did not fail, and did not turn off, and disappeared, as I am walking with the Scanner connected, I already looked at what was the error, it gave a failure error Coil n°2 and something similar to a Lambda probe sensor, which may have been caused by problem number one, the ignition coil, cables, or even the spark plug, today I replaced them, and I reset the os Scanner errors, I also took advantage of it and removed it the day I replaced the ECU, and moved it from above the engine. Now I will observe, if it will continue to present any more errors. I'm going to check this connector D4, but the fuses I had already checked all. And about the oscillation error at idle, it still unfortunately continues, but to a lesser extent. Regarding the value of the car, I bought it for €900, I spent €140 on the suspension, €164 on electrical repair on the temperature fault, temperature sensor, changing the crankshaft sensor and changing the battery, €170 on the control unit and the reset hers and now €20 more in candles. Total €494, but these cars here are in the range of €1600 to €1900, and there's always something to fix.
What scanner do you aue and is it Bi Directional, Becuase if you want to change things best to buy a 'Bi Directional' scanning tool Guix. I would suggest maybe a Foxwell? Autel? but its best to be over NZ$1,000 to get the best use out of one. They give you much more information when you have a serious scanner. I use a Digital Osscilloscope to check any sensors I use a 1008 Hantek from Ali Express which does most things and has 8 channels.

No, this is completely wrong. There is a ton of knowledge both in this forum as well as on Youtube with channels like ScannerDanner and others. The most "advanced" tool is an oscilloscope but is sometimes not needed if a good diagnostic is used (e.g., MultiECUScan for our Fiats).

Now returning to this thread because I had forgot it, he didn't even mention to test the lambda sensor as lambda is one of the most important sensors for the mixture as well as idling. There have been multiple reports of lambdas that fail with the exact same issue and not giving a code. But he given him a code and he ignored it, so here we go. Unfortunately, he did the stupid thing to pay for another ECU.

I agree with you that it is wasteful to spend money on an ECU when you already have a code coming up for an oxygen sensor, or lambda these need to be rectified first.

Back