Technical Help! Distance between exhaust flange holes L-R

Currently reading:
Technical Help! Distance between exhaust flange holes L-R

Noah500

1971 Fiat 500L LHD
As previously reported, I recently found the exhaust manifold nuts had come loose and the saw that the gaskets were shot, so I took the exhaust to fit new ones off and then found that one of the pipes had come loose (but not detached from the body) Got it welded up but there has been some slight distortion and now the exhaust won't fit back on the studs. I can't measure directly across the mounting points on the engine because of other stuff in the way but using calipers to measure how much out the stud is from the hole, it appears that the correct distance centre to centre should be 31cm. Could some kind person who has an intact exhaust off their car please measure the distance and confirm or correct this distance?

Thanks!

SImon

As previously reported, I recently found the exhaust manifold nuts had come loose and the saw that the gaskets were shot, so I took the exhaust to fit new ones off and then found that one of the pipes had come loose (but not detached from the body) Got it welded up but there has been some slight distortion and now the exhaust won't fit back on the studs. I can't measure directly across the mounting points on the engine because of other stuff in the way but using calipers to measure how much out the stud is from the hole, it appears that the correct distance centre to centre should be 31cm. Could some kind person who has an intact exhaust off their car please measure the distance and confirm or correct this distance?

Thanks!

SImon

Just checked one for you and 31cm is spot on. When refitting the exhaust I have found it best to get all the parts in place with all the fixings loose including the elbow to head bolts then tighten flanges to the exhaust elbows, the elbows to head and finally the exhaust support brackets.

Which holes are you actually looking at. On the 'elbow' manifold (and I have just measured off a brand new 'elbow') the distance between the studs/bolts that go into the head centre-to-centre is 50mm----the distance between the holes for the bolts that go between the 'elbows' and the exhaust down-pipe is 55mm centre-to-centre. If you mean the distance between the stud holes on the side of the crankcase (that the silencer supports are secured to) I will go and measure it for you---i have a spare crankcase on a rotisserie in the workshop

Whoops, sorry---seems that I have misinterpreted what measurement you required.

Thanks, both - As Toshi interpreted it correctly, I was after the distance between the left and right pipe flanges hole centres rather than between studs on the same side :)

Thanks also for the advice on reassembly!

Great forum for help and assistance :)

Cheers,

Simon

Back