Technical Spark between condensor points

Currently reading:
Technical Spark between condensor points

Flock

Got my car starting perfect but I seem to be running in some minor troubles. Due to bad weather I have not been able to roadtest it, just got the engine running in the garage.
When revving the engine and letting loose it backfires sometimes. Also I noticed there is a spark between the contact points.

- Should there be a spark between the contact points? (I have a wasted spark system so I can run the car with the ignition cap off and see the contactpoints working.) I replaced the contact points with new ones, and fitted a new condensor. The new condensor made the engine run uneven, so I installed the old one again and it idles and revs fine. But i'm not sure wether there should or should not be a spark between the contact points.

- Set the tappetclearance (checked it multiple times) and the backfiring keeps happening after revving the engine. Adjusting the timing does not make it go away. Cleaned the carb and there seem to be no air leaks after installing it. I do have a sport exhaust (not sure if that is relevant but the engine before didn't backfire (in the exhaust) , it just made minor popping noises when releasing the accelerator.)

Yeah, that's what i've seen on mine. So nothing to worry about then.

Back