Technical Hear me out....

Currently reading:
Technical Hear me out....

Realcarmechanic

I got a fiat 128 as gift 2 years ago for my birthday from my family members as a car I can work on and learn more about cars , I love the car and have worked on it for bit , enjoyed and modified it abit
This summer me and my buddys chopped the back seats and turned it into a truck bed (like the fiat 147 or the datsun 650 ), and I am looking to make alot more power soo i was wondering If i can fit a small block chevy into my new little truck ,it doesn't have to be a chevy small block just any other engine that can give 200+ hp that's relatively small , I have no issue machining parts if i have to make the swap fit , any suggestions might be appreciated

Is the differential in the 128 going to cope with 200hp ? You could put 100hp in a car like that and it would be a rocket

Really any small twin cam engine would probably fit, not so sure anything v8 would fit.

If you did go the route of a bigger engine you’d need to make sure the rest of the drive train could cope with the power. These old cars only had little differential and little brakes, if you’re going to go fast you’ll need to make sure you and stop too

I know someone that put a Fiat 1600 twincam in, but that was transverse…
I also toyed with fitting panda 141 4x4 gubbins on a 128 saloon, to the stage of measuring up, it actually would fit.
However, to fit a small block and transmission would be a nightmare of fabrication and ingress into the bulkhead, floor and passenger compartment. And, as the wheelarches encroach into the front footwells, it wouldn’t leave much space for your feet and pedals.
If you’re handy with electronics, why not fit the 500 Abarth engine and transmission

I believe Gianini put 1600TC in their 1970’s 128 Rally’s as well

Is the differential in the 128 going to cope with 200hp ? You could put 100hp in a car like that and it would be a rocket

Really any small twin cam engine would probably fit, not so sure anything v8 would fit.

If you did go the route of a bigger engine you’d need to make sure the rest of the drive train could cope with the power. These old cars only had little differential and little brakes, if you’re going to go fast you’ll need to make sure you and stop too
I mean i was day dreaming but i think more realistic engines would be maybe a k24A engine or a B18 those i think would be nice and to answer your question no the whole driver trian and diff would be from the engine, i am thinking an engine dropout would make life a bit easier on this build

Back