Technical Headlights turning off

Currently reading:
Technical Headlights turning off

I have an 07 ducato carioca, all was fine until I gave it a run out, turned the dip beam on and after a few seconds they went off. I pulled over turned them off and back on and again after a few seconds they went off, tried it a few times with same result, any ideas. Thanks in advance.

Perhaps thanks in advance is just your usual closure line, but post the resolution to your problemto help others.

On the x250 model (2006 onwards) the head lamps are controlled via the body computer (BCM). Communication between the column switch and the BCM is via resistance coded signals. Stalk could be faulty. Erratic behavior of computer modules (BCM) on the x250 may be due to a faulty engine block earth strap, a well documented source of problems. To eliminate this first, try a jump lead between clean points on engine block and body.

Perhaps thanks in advance is just your usual closure line, but post the resolution to your problemto help others.

On the x250 model (2006 onwards) the head lamps are controlled via the body computer (BCM). Communication between the column switch and the BCM is via resistance coded signals. Stalk could be faulty. Erratic behavior of computer modules (BCM) on the x250 may be due to a faulty engine block earth strap, a well documented source of problems. To eliminate this first, try a jump lead between clean points on engine block and body.
Did you solve your problem. I have just encountered a similar problem with my 2018 115cv. No dipped headlights working, everything else is fine. Myself and breakdown technician tested fuses and swapped bulbs, no joy. Possibly the relay T01 is faulty. Is this behind the bank of dashboard fuses or in the engine compartment. What's the OEM number for an replacement?

Hi Thepeaks,,
Either Sooty2055 has not resolved his problem, or perhaps he cannot be bothered to share the cure on forum.

The information that you seek can be found on pages 120 & 121 of the "Fiat Ducato 1st x250 Training Manual" which is available in the downloads section. (Click on the word "Downloads" not the menu button.)

The relay part number will be shown on the relay, and you should be able to buy new or used on Ebay. OEM is not essential but if not OEM then do take care to purchase a relay with a resistor in parallel with the coil. The resistor is to dissapate surges damaging the BCM when the lights are switched off. It is not polarity concious. Fiat ignore convention which requires the relay coil terminal to be positive, and seem to connect as convenient. This means that a relay fitted with a diode in place of the resistor may function in one socket, but blow fuses or cause damage in another.

Why suspect the relay? Much more likely to be faulty wiring, however I agree that substitution is a simple way to eliminate the relay.

Not had a problem before with the dipped headlights then decided not to work. Nothing been touched regarding the wiring. Something must have given up or become faulty. Relay just seems to be next thing to check

Hi Thepeaks,,
Either Sooty2055 has not resolved his problem, or perhaps he cannot be bothered to share the cure on forum.

The information that you seek can be found on pages 120 & 121 of the "Fiat Ducato 1st x250 Training Manual" which is available in the downloads section. (Click on the word "Downloads" not the menu button.)

The relay part number will be shown on the relay, and you should be able to buy new or used on Ebay. OEM is not essential but if not OEM then do take care to purchase a relay with a resistor in parallel with the coil. The resistor is to dissapate surges damaging the BCM when the lights are switched off. It is not polarity concious. Fiat ignore convention which requires the relay coil terminal to be positive, and seem to connect as convenient. This means that a relay fitted with a diode in place of the resistor may function in one socket, but blow fuses or cause damage in another.

Why suspect the relay? Much more likely to be faulty wiring, however I agree that substitution is a simple way to eliminate the relay.
Where's the download section, sorry new to the forum

Hi Thepeaks,,

Type in title in search for download, no results

Can you see a black bar at the top of the page, with "Forums" highlighted? Next to the right is "Guides" followed by "Downloads". Click on the word "Downloads".

Not had a problem before with the dipped headlights then decided not to work. Nothing been touched regarding the wiring. Something must have given up or become faulty. Relay just seems to be next thing to check.
When you locate relay T01 at bottom centre of the cab fuse panel, try switching on the ignition and then the dipped beams. You should hear the relay click. It may also help to hold a finger tip on the relay. If the relay clicks, remove the relay which may be tight in the socket.

With the relay removed the two smaller sockets are the coil terminals. If you are satisfied that the relay has been clicking proceed to the next step.
The large socket furthest from the smaller coil sockets is terminal 30, and is traditionally connected to 12V. Treat with respect, and avoid shorting to chassis (earth). Bridging the two larger sockets together should illuminate the dipped beams. TAKE CARE.

If relay has not been clicking, with ignition on, check the two smaller terminals for 0V and +12V with a multimeter, connected to either battery positive, or battery negative as appopriate.

Thanks Communicator, now have the manual. Homework for tonight

Have now checked the stalk switch, working OK as sending signal to relay, relay is clicking sending current to both fuses. 0 volts until switched on then reading 12.5v. So everything seems live and working to the fuses. Logic says it's an earthing issue. Next checking headlamps when it stops raining.

Found elearn E2011 dipped beam pdf, very useful having the full electrical circuit system

Attachments

• IMG_20230317_141448.jpg
    IMG_20230317_141448.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 42
When you locate relay T01 at bottom centre of the cab fuse panel, try switching on the ignition and then the dipped beams. You should hear the relay click. It may also help to hold a finger tip on the relay. If the relay clicks, remove the relay which may be tight in the socket.

With the relay removed the two smaller sockets are the coil terminals. If you are satisfied that the relay has been clicking proceed to the next step.
The large socket furthest from the smaller coil sockets is terminal 30, and is traditionally connected to 12V. Treat with respect, and avoid shorting to chassis (earth). Bridging the two larger sockets together should illuminate the dipped beams. TAKE CARE.

If relay has not been clicking, with ignition on, check the two smaller terminals for 0V and +12V with a multimeter, connected to either battery positive, or battery negative as appopriate.
Looking at elearn E2011 dipped beam wiring diagram the headlights are going through fuses 14 & 15 and through relay T02??

See Ducato 1st X250 Training Manual, top of page 121. For contactors I am reading relays. If you have an eLearn diagram E2011 for the x250 that suggests a different relay, then some proving may be necessary. On my x244 T02 in the engine bay fusebox is indeed used for dipped headlights, and is shown in this role on the applicable version of E2011. It does not surprise me to find errors and inconsistencies in eLearn.

See Ducato 1st X250 Training Manual, top of page 121. For contactors I am reading relays. If you have an eLearn diagram E2011 for the x250 that suggests a different relay, then some proving may be necessary. On my x244 T02 in the engine bay fusebox is indeed used for dipped headlights, and is shown in this role on the applicable version of E2011. It does not surprise me to find errors and inconsistencies in eLearn.
Definitely switching between T01 and fuses 12 & 13 on the dashboard control panel as in photo. Will use the E2011 principles and start probing for the live connections from the fuses. Will let you know our findings and maybe find the fault

Feel bit stupid now, took out both headlamps units to firstly double check bulbs for continuity only to find both bulbs defective. High beam bulbs identical to dipped so swapped them over, dipped beam lights now working. Checked voltage from both fuses whilst engine running, reading 14.2v been told that's normal. Don't understand why both light bulbs became defective together.

I also would not expect both bulbs to fail at the same time. In fact in many years of motoring I have only suffered from one or two headlamp bulb failures.

Back