Technical Headlight replacement advice

Currently reading:
Technical Headlight replacement advice

Ok so I need to replace my headlights on my MK2 as they've gone all cloudy.

I realise that it's possible to cut and polish them these days but with so many very good second hand ones available on the web it makes sense just to replace them. I've had a good look on eBay and found some very good ones but some have a fog light in so I was wondering is the wiring in place to activate the fog lights? Obviously I'll need a new switch pannel with a fog button as well.

If not am I still legal to use a light that has a non functioning fog light?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

You shouldn’t need to replace them, there are many kits available now to polish out the clouding which is the deterioration of coatings put on the plastic to help them last longer. (Irony)

I also did a video on polishing headlights to be fair there are loads of videos on YouTube about curing this problem by polishingor sanding off the cloudy parts all without needing to change the lamp.

As Andy says you can polish the lights to clear them, you may need to do it every two years or so unless you use the right UV coating and although a little time consuming is not as much as a pain as replacing the headlights.

There are actually 4 types of lights for the MK2. With and without fogs with H1 bulbs and with and without with H7 bulbs.You don't need to replace lH1 with H1 but you do need to remember when buying replacement bulbs that their different on each side!
If you don't have fog lights then the fog light wiring isn't going to be there. I replaced the lights in my daughter's MK2 because they were cloudy rather than cleaning. Got a pair for £40 of the bay.
They're easy enough to replace but you do need to loosen the bumper to get the light out, which is a pain in the bum.
Once you've got clear headlights again may I recommend Osram nightbreaker bulbs, a massive improvement over the normal bulbs.

Thanks guys great advice (y) I originally discounted the polishing option as a workmate bought one of those kits and achieved pretty disappointing results however AndyRKett I checked out YouTube and saw some pretty good results using wet and dry and some polishing compound (of which I have plenty of) so seen as though it won’t cost me anything to try I may well give it a go!

May well be pulling the bumper off anyway as I want to give it a good dose of underseal and cavity wax while I’m there. Nice one chaps (y)

Last edited:
Listen, you can easily get them back to A1 condition by using Turtle Wax All Metal Polish from Halfords and a micro fibre cloth.

I’m into detailing, and don’t usually use Turtle Wax products, but if you put a small amount on a micro fibre and rub it into the lights. Then turn the cloth over to a clean side and buff them right up, you’ll be amazed how easily they go back to normal.

A couple of coats of Colinite 476S would give a bit of protection, or else an anti uv coating of something should delay the hazing next time

A couple of things about replacing the headlights..
1. There are 4 types of headlight in the MK2. With and without fogs and H1 or H7 bulb versions.
2 You need to take the bumper off to replace the lights. Not difficult but a massive pain in the bum.

Polishing is a little time consuming but that's all.

Thanks guys in the end I bought some brand new genuine fiat (valeo) units - £62 delivered from a seller who was clearing out the shelves. Fitting them wasn’t all bad just time consuming because of that bumper. This was made easier by doing the job when I was rust proofing the car so already had the wheels off and arch liners out so just did it then.

Back