General Headlight "modification"

Currently reading:
General Headlight "modification"

<SNIP>

Unless someone can actually put the technical drawings in front of me, then there is little evidence to suggest there would be any difference between those with and those without.

My car without the ring had considerably better headlights than the one with.

Easy to put an argument forward when it has an unachievable condition :bang:

Yes, the headlight without the ring might be better then the one without but that does NOT mean removing the ring will make them the same. Have you ever done any optical design? I have and can assure you you tiny changes you can't see make a huge difference to performance. I can't find a still shot of a Punto Mk2 headlight without a ring like thse in your video, but the ringed ones have reflectors very different from the ones shown 56 seconds into your video. The look like this
_57_002.JPG
My unachievable challenge to you is to show pictures of two Punto headlights one with ring or cap and one without ring but identical reflector.

Robert G8RPI.

he posted pictures of lights without the metal holder.

anyways ill probbly take them out of the hard one will go out at all...

but since we came to conclusion that my light problem isnt because of the metal ring lets leave that discussion behind.

ill try to post pictures of my headlight at day and at night to show the problem, meen trying to do that for a few days now but i always forget or am in a hurry.ill try posting tomorow or on monday.

They may have been looking at the MK2 light fittings instead of the 2B! Saying that when we had a MK2 I had to replace the light units because they'd gone so cloudy and the replacement lights had different bulb fitments! Right pain in the bum that was cos the replacement lights didn't have any bulbs in of course!

I had to replace one of my Lamp units (I managed to break the other one due to snow), fortunately it was identical to the one i took out...
Canaging the bulbs over was easy, changing the height adjustor motor was a PITA

he posted pictures of lights without the metal holder.

anyways ill probbly take them out of the hard one will go out at all...

but since we came to conclusion that my light problem isnt because of the metal ring lets leave that discussion behind.

ill try to post pictures of my headlight at day and at night to show the problem, meen trying to do that for a few days now but i always forget or am in a hurry.ill try posting tomorow or on monday.

Oop's, I missed those, I was at wotk and our firewall blocks some images.
The photos clearly show that the reflector on the light without the ring is deeper than than the one without. A deeper reflector will capture all the ligt up to the 30 degree cut-off from the bulbs integral cap. A shallow one needs an external cut-off cap or ring. All else being equal a deeper reflector that cathes up to 30 deg will giive a better light than a shallow one the does not. Of course a good design with a less than 30 deg reflector and cap will be better than a poor design without. There are significant differences in the overall light designs with and without rings pictured by Andy.

Robert G8RPI.

Oop's, I missed those, I was at wotk and our firewall blocks some images.
The photos clearly show that the reflector on the light without the ring is deeper than than the one without. A deeper reflector will capture all the ligt up to the 30 degree cut-off from the bulbs integral cap. A shallow one needs an external cut-off cap or ring. All else being equal a deeper reflector that cathes up to 30 deg will giive a better light than a shallow one the does not. Of course a good design with a less than 30 deg reflector and cap will be better than a poor design without. There are significant differences in the overall light designs with and without rings pictured by Andy.

Robert G8RPI.

i dont see any differance, doesnt seem deeper to me. also as andy said fiat is make it and leave it, doubt they redesigned the whole lamp again to not have the clip.i think some manufacturer just took it out to save money.
anys pic with the metal holder is bad quality maybe thats why u think its deeper, but clearly looking at the pic u posted and 1 of the 2 andy posted without clips. they r identical .

Last edited:
i dont see any differance, doesnt seem deeper to me. also as andy said fiat is make it and leave it, doubt they redesigned the whole lamp again to not have the clip.i think some manufacturer just took it out to save money.
anys pic with the metal holder is bad quality maybe thats why u think its deeper, but clearly looking at the pic u posted and 1 of the 2 andy posted without clips. they r identical .

We will have to agree to disagree. The 1st (silver car) and 2nd (red car) lights look completely different to me. Even the inner reflector is different, especially around the outer edge which is the area that matters with respect to the ring.
Goodbye,
Robert G8RPI.

You do realise fist don't design and make every part
It's quite possible that the two different light are made by different companies to the same spec for fiat
I know a family member that has two original light on a car one is Hella the other is another manufacturer both near identical

Everything you’ve said here is utter nonsense, if you’d looked at the pictures properly you’d have noticed the one with the ring in situ has the remains of an EU beam adjustment sticker over the lens and obscuring the view of the reflectors within. No difference, just a sticker residue on the lens.

We will have to agree to disagree. The 1st (silver car) and 2nd (red car) lights look completely different to me. Even the inner reflector is different, especially around the outer edge which is the area that matters with respect to the ring.
Goodbye,

As above, they look completely different (Everso slightly dissimilar) because of sticker residue. :rolleyes:

Back