General Headlight "modification"

Currently reading:
General Headlight "modification"

Headlight "modification"

Swap bulbs to opposite head lamps. If bad pattern swaps,it's the bulb. If it stays at the same side,it's the head lamp,Then find the fault! Providing the bulbs go easily and properly . If bulbs ok,most likely it's the 'metal hat' that has moved slightly,and only needs correcting with pliers or screw driver to reshape. If it's had a new headlamp,it could be faulty or cheap copy.

Last edited:
Re: Headlight "modification"

Swap bulbs to opposite head lamps. If bad pattern swaps,it's the bulb. If it stays at the same side,it's the head lamp,Then find the fault! Providing the bulbs go easily and properly . If bulbs ok,most likely it's the 'metal hat' that has moved slightly,and only needs correcting with pliers or screw driver to reshape. If it's had a new headlamp,it could be faulty or cheap copy.

tried swaping bumbs, same thing.
the right side lamp is new, and it was a cheaper one not valeo, but i dont think that shauld be a problem, maybe it is that metal holder that makes such a differance , ill try to take a pictue of it as soon as posible. i did try adjusting it already but so far no differance.

I had 2 mk2b puntos, both 2004, one had the little extra metal bits around the bulb in the head light, the other didn’t

See the video I did here to see it didn’t have them.

It did make a difference the one with out definitely had much better head lights than the one with. Given that both cars left the factory in the same year, like this. I can only assume it depended one what company made the headlight as to whether or not it had the little metal ring.

It’s not going to kill anyone to see what they are like without and if held in with a screw you can always put them back again

I had 2 mk2b puntos, both 2004, one had the little extra metal bits around the bulb in the head light, the other didn’t

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3-lmAfqvRc&t=1s

It did make a difference the one with out definitely had much better head lights than the one with. Given that both cars left the factory in the same year, like this. I can only assume it depended one what company made the headlight as to whether or not it had the little metal ring.

It’s not going to kill anyone to see what they are like without and if held in with a screw you can always put them back again

The "cap is part of the overall design of the light. There are other differences between lights that have them and those without. Jus taking the cap off does not convert one to the other. Removing the cap invalidates the type approval of the light. On the Fiat lights I've looked at that had them they are thin metal and pressed / swaged in. I is not easy to put them back once removed.

Robert G8RPI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3-lmAfqvRc&t=1s

yeah i saw your video, thats where i got the idea to remove it,was it any differant light output without the holders?

+ i think i found the problem.. might be the bumper or metal holder as it is not as "close circle" as other side, bumper is abit wairdly attached on the front and that side has a smal gap between headlight and the bumper, and i saw light coming out where on other side it probbly got blocked by bumper, thats probbly the reason for the 90degree light line.

again is it viable to remove the metal insert ziggy? not because of the light output but pure estetics, i dont like it.

I don't know if you have a vehicle safety inspection in Slovenia, but in the UK we have an MOT and if you remove the cap here you would risk failing it for bad beam pattern.

Robert G8RPI.

MOT is the yearly expection of the car right? we have that , i just passed my but yeah.

as andy said where he attached video, he had 2 puntos one had them and the other didnt, thats why i asked if its posible to remove and not have problems. but yeah i might fail for bad beam pattern, but still i never saw any other cars have this holder so it shauldnt be such a problem?

Hi,
some light designs need the cap, some don't. It depends on the design of the reflector and lens. The accuracy of the design and manufacture of the light and the quality of materials used makes a difference to performance of the light. This is why some car lights are better than others even wen they use the same bulb.

Robert G8RPI.

yeah i saw your video, thats where i got the idea to remove it,was it any differant light output without the holders?

See the picture (hopefully it uploaded) the Black tip on almost every standard bulb does the same job as the metal ring.

You should be fine to remove it. There was no other difference in the design of the lights other than this metal ring on my two puntos

Attachments

• F163CB34-157A-4604-BC01-B62F53211B53.jpeg
    F163CB34-157A-4604-BC01-B62F53211B53.jpeg
    269.5 KB · Views: 15
While the black tip does cut off direct forward light, it's not the same as the cup shaped shield. The cup is designed with the reflector and provides a sharp cut-off to stop light reaching the forward edge of the reflector (and the glass) which while chromed is not a controlled shape and will scatter light. They are particuarly important on deeper reflectors that have flat(er) sections at the front. The makers don't put them in there for fun, they watch every cent of cost.

Robert G8RPI.

Pictures of the lights as fitted to my previous cars. No discernible difference in the design of the light except for the ring

The reason they added it was because not all older bulbs had the painted tip

Attachments

• CD363649-856B-4136-ABD4-38C388EB927B.jpeg
    CD363649-856B-4136-ABD4-38C388EB927B.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 27
  • 983E4CF7-B01E-4E22-AD26-EEA71792DA01.jpeg
    983E4CF7-B01E-4E22-AD26-EEA71792DA01.jpeg
    125.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 592B2336-21E3-40F6-95FF-EEC0CF4456D9.jpeg
    592B2336-21E3-40F6-95FF-EEC0CF4456D9.jpeg
    48.6 KB · Views: 25
Pictures of the lights as fitted to my previous cars. No discernible difference in the design of the light except for the ring

The reason they added it was because not all older bulbs had the painted tip

Not true, the obscured tip (or lack of) is part of the ECE specification see:
https://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs/R037r7e.pdf
For H7 it cuts off at 30 degrees.
you may not be able to see the difference between two lights. it only takes a millimetre of reflector illuminated when it shouldn't be to cause glare.

Robert G8RPI.

Unless of course you go To Halfrauds for bulbs...their Pad thingy tells you H1 for Dipped H7 for main....At least i knew i needed an H7 for Dipped when i had to get one from them after 1 Blew

They may have been looking at the MK2 light fittings instead of the 2B! Saying that when we had a MK2 I had to replace the light units because they'd gone so cloudy and the replacement lights had different bulb fitments! Right pain in the bum that was cos the replacement lights didn't have any bulbs in of course!

i am really torn apart now if i can take it out or not, some of u say okay others that i shauldnt. But the point that like no other car i ever seen has the metal holder means its not that important? or is puntos headlight just that wairdly made?.. problem here is that one of my headlight has a screwed in holder which would be easier to remove and reatach if neccesery, the other has a metal clip holding it, that one will be a pain to remove and imposible to reatach. so yeah.. and yeah my bulbs have the dark tips on them.

i am really torn apart now if i can take it out or not, some of u say okay others that i shauldnt. But the point that like no other car i ever seen has the metal holder means its not that important? or is puntos headlight just that wairdly made?.. problem here is that one of my headlight has a screwed in holder which would be easier to remove and reatach if neccesery, the other has a metal clip holding it, that one will be a pain to remove and imposible to reatach. so yeah.. and yeah my bulbs have the dark tips on them.

You’ll need to draw your own conclusions, but there are some seriously over sensitive people on this forum that are obsessed with quoting rules and regulations to enforce their own will on others. Taking it too the extreme in many cases.

Having worked with Italian engineers in the past, what will have happened is that they will have looked at cutting production costs one day, and one engineers saying to the other “what can we get rid of without he customer noticing” probably wildly flailing their arms about. The other would have considered for a second and said “let’s get rid of that little metal ring in the headlight” saved about 1€ in production costs which adds up to many thousands for the production run of the car.

Fiat are very much world renowned for their complete lack of on going and continued evolutionary engineering and design for their products, they are very much launch it and forget about it, so the likelihood of there being any difference in the rest of the headlight is zero.

Unless someone can actually put the technical drawings in front of me, then there is little evidence to suggest there would be any difference between those with and those without.

My car without the ring had considerably better headlights than the one with.

Back