Have you got your breathalyser for a trip to France?

Currently reading:
Have you got your breathalyser for a trip to France?

It may seem a strange thing to pack for a summer holiday to France, but new regulations have been implemented in the country that requires all drivers visiting the nation to carry a breathalyser kit in the car with them.

The Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM) has warned those thinking of a trip to France this summer that from July 1st all drivers will need to carry the unusual piece of kit or risk a fine.

From November there will be an €11 (£9.19) fine for not complying with the new regulation, which despite being a small fee, would not be the ideal start to a summer vacation.

Luckily for people heading to France this summer, whether it be for a two-week holiday or just a day trip, the devices, which can range from a single-use kit, to a more advanced model, will be available in ferry and tunnel terminals.

The current legal limit in France is 50 mg per 100 ml of blood, lower than in the UK (the UK limit is 80mg). It is intended that people will be able to test themselves to check whether or not they are over the French limit.

So, how can you avoid a fine?

The IAM has advised those travelling to France after July 1st to have at least two breathalysers with them at all times, which should only cost £4, so that if one has been used you can still present a working one to the police if they stop you.

Breathalysers are the latest piece of kit motorists travelling by road in France have been asked to keep in the vehicle. Anyone driving in France is already required to carry a warning triangle and a fluorescent safety vest to use in an emergency, with UK drivers also required to carry a GB plate and have their headlights adjusted to the right.

IAM director of policy and research Neil Greig said: "The new French rule is a genuine attempt to reduce the number of alcohol related-accidents. France's lower limit means it's very easy to be over the limit the morning after as well. As always, the best advice for motorists is not to drink and drive at all."

Do you think the UK limit should be reduced?

source http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/bl...tter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=february12

That's bloody stupid. I'm all in favour of a lower limit, but everyone having their own breathalyser may increase the number of people drink-driving. Instead of not drinking, people may keep downing the vin rouges until the needle's just under the limit.

I've driven after a pint (of standard-strength beer), so was well under the limit. I found it awful - I could tell my reactions and attention weren't anything like as good as normal. I may have been within the limit, but I felt dangerous.

The only safe way is not to drink, and not to drive the day after getting drunk.

Back