General Hairline Crack on key

Currently reading:
General Hairline Crack on key

billathome65

I noticed as I was checking over the car that the ignition key has a hairline crack in it, which if noticeable indicates it's going to break any time soon. My question is a simple one can I get the key cut at a key cut place or will I need a new set of locks and a barrel??? I hope not.

It's a Mrk 1 1999 Fiat Punto 5 door 1.3lt 60S Team.

Cheers

If you have the red key you can get another blue key copied off that. Just about anyone can do it. Try Timsons.

If you don't have a red key, you can get the shank of the key copied and put the chip out of your old, cracked key into the new one.

You may even be able to get the blue key copied with chip and all.

There are alternatives -- like gluing the old key near the ignition barrel, but the ones above are the more secure ways to do it.

Blue Key Red Key?????

This is the only key I've got normal key with black handle. Should I have a blue or red key too??

1378230_454139691371760_1457592758_n.jpg

Hi Fingers the key has fiat in the plastic I will take it to the shop tomorrow and fingers crossed it will be straight forwards.

Thanks buddy for all your support

Bill

After using a little white spirit to clean the handle I can confirm the key is in fact Blue

When I put the key in the ignition and start to turn I key lights up with the word code under. Does this mean the key has a chip in it? If so will I still be able to get a key cut for it at the local shop and if so will it work???

Cheers Bill

It means that the ECU (or the code box) doesn't recognise the code on the key!

So, in theory, all things being equal, the car shouldn't start!

But, as it does, I think you can take it that a plain old chipless key will do fine.

Sorry fingers99 should have said the light comes on then goes back of so does that mean there is a chip in the key if so is it sealed in as its one unit solid If it does have a chip then how would they remove it to put in a new key?

Gotcha. In that case, it's likely that the key does have a chip.

I would first see if Timsons (etc) can copy the key and code. Get one coded key, one uncoded. You can find the chip by peeling back, as it were, the layers on the fob. You're looking for a glass tube, about 3mm in diameter, maybe 8mm long. Be careful not to drop it.

If you tape the chip to the uncoded key, you always have that in emergencies. Or you can chop a hole in the new key fob and glue it in place.

Cheers Buddy will look into that tomorrow if I get a chance. So the chip is sealed in the key bit of a pain but no major biggy just means a lot of faffing about :bang:

Thanks for all your help and patience

Bill

Ok i'm confused Fingers99 mentioned a red key and a blue key. I got the blue key which I believe has the code that communicates with the ECU to say hi i'm the right key you can start. I believe the red key is used to reset the ECU and electrics should anything go wrong (AM I CORRECT???)

If so If you bought an ECU would you not need both keys still??

I ask purely because a guy is selling one with the red key if the red key resets the ECU plus makes it accept my key I will buy it as I would rather have both keys but if I need the blue key that was originally with that ECU I won't bother.

The guy recons it's actually just the red key thats most important as that is the proper master key it resets but can be used to start the car up get a new key cut. Is that correct or am I being blagged??

Sorry if this is a thick stupid question.

Bill

Last edited:
you cant clone a blue from a red it will just make another red, if you only have a red you need to get 2 new blues made and code them in with the red.

BUT as in the ops case if you have a blue even if its snapped in half just take it to any good key cutters and they will make a new blue that is an exact clone of the blue you have inc electic info

I noticed as I was checking over the car that the ignition key has a hairline crack in it, which if noticeable indicates it's going to break any time soon. My question is a simple one can I get the key cut at a key cut place or will I need a new set of locks and a barrel??? I hope not.

It's a Mrk 1 1999 Fiat Punto 5 door 1.3lt 60S Team.

Cheers

have you got this sorted yet? if not i may be able to help depending where you are as i have key cutting equipment

Just make sure it's the proper red key and that you get the code box, key and ECU.

I thought the code box key was the red key :bang::bang::bang:

If I got the ECU I was just going to clone the red key and hide that in the car the same as I would have done with the blue key that way if I had a prob with the ECU I can retrieve the key.

Which key resets the ECU in case of problems as that is what I need to make sure I don't end up up the creek without a paddle.

Because off the problems i've had with fiats in the past i'm a tad paranoid especially as I have the grand kids in the car alot.

Sorry if I come across thick as pig poo.

Cheers Bill

ok, i usually work around Manchester/Lancs at least once per week so can definitely help out if need be. Not got anything planned in my diary as yet for Manc but have had a few inquiries from people in Oldham & Blackburn

Garage told me it's not as simple as replacing the ECU in the Mk1 as the transponder is in the fuse board so if I was to get a key cut it would be the blue one how much are we looking at and if you pm me I can pass on my details.

Cheers Bill

Back