Had an accident - advice?

Currently reading:
Had an accident - advice?

306maxi

STOP! Hammer time!
https://www.fiatforum.com/panda/340690-man-down.html

Just wondering what the best way to pursue a claim is.

Obviously I can go through my insurance, but there's also the option of going through their insurance or pursue it with claims management company.

Not looking to get 10k for whiplash or anything as the wife is fine, but just wanting to make sure the wife isn't without a car, I don't get screwed on the cars value if it's written off and if the car is written off, I'd like the option of being able to buy it back if it's offered at a decent value. I'll be honest, I'm leaning towards wanting it written off as it's worse underneath and quite a bit of the seam sealer has come out with the accident and it's never going to be like new no matter how good the repair is.

Can anyone explain the advantages/disadvantages of all the options above?

I always go through 3rd party insurance co directly.

Accident management firms are only interested in their best interest, not yours or those of the 3rd party insurance co.

If you go through your insurance co, until 3rd party confirm liability (can be instant, although sometimes isn't, even if its an open shut case) your NCD will be affect, if protected your policy will be loaded at renewal as though its an at fault claim until confirmed that it isn't. Obviously not an issue if a long way away from renewal though, and should be backdated when cleared up, but can make things costly in the short term. In addition to this you'll be governed by the T&C's of your insurance co and how they deal with a claim (potentially using used parts etc) which depending upon the company can be fairly crap T&Cs.

Going direct through 3rd party company will save them money, and often result in fairer payments from experience. You deal direct with them, no middle men to muck things up or string things out. If they **** you about too much you can then still opt to use an accident management firm or your own insurance co. They've also go no right to salvage if going direct through 3rd party insurance co (although they may try and claim differently unless you push them), where as T&C's of your own policy will likely state that your insurance co can retain it, or charge you their defined scrap value to retain it.

If its part of Admiral group (Bell, Diamond etc) 3rd party is insured with I'd defo deal direct, can sing their 3rd party claims team prise from personal experience, they treat you a lot better than their own customers.

Problem is that I don't know who the insurer is. They gave me the intermediaries phone number and the policy number and I've just looked on the broker's site and they deal with numerous insurance companies.

In the first instance, try dealing direct with the third party insurers.

I'd advise them that you hold their client wholly responsible for the accident and ask for written confirmation that they are not contesting liability. If they give you this, you'll likely find their own claims handling department will be helpful, as it'll save them quite a bit of money if you aren't going through your own insurers or a third party claims handler.

Something similar happened to me about 10 years ago - I got both a phone call next day and a follow up letter from the other driver's insurance company offering to collect my car, drop off a loan car, and return mine once repaired, obviously with nothing to pay. They guaranteed to fix it using OEM parts and also offered a six year guarantee on the repair. That seemed quite reasonable to me, and that's the way I went.

You could always try saying you'll put it in the hands of a 3rd party claims agent if they won't accept liability. It will certainly cost them a lot more if you do.

Obviously the first step is to get the third party insurance details and policy number using one of the methods described already.

This next bit won't help you at this stage, Maxi, but it may be useful to someone else. If you have a smartphone, it's now possible to get the other driver's details from the MID at the time of the accident. Have a read of this. This will immediately alert you if the other party tries to give false details. Best of all, it's free (for now).

Last edited:
Well I've just been involved in an accident. I'm not going into details yet but I hold the third party completely responsible. Their insurance company insist I go through mine which I'm not too happy about.
Everyone involved alright Chris?

Well I've just been involved in an accident. I'm not going into details yet but I hold the third party completely responsible. Their insurance company insist I go through mine which I'm not too happy about.
Just reported the accident a couple of hours ago to their claims handling company (I think the waters are getting murky here) and they initially tried to get me to go through their insurance company, I got quite annoyed at the lady who didn't want to back down, but for some reason, when I mentioned it was a trade policy she put me through. Have a bad feeling about this tbh!

What exactly are you concerned about?

Just a feeling in my waters I guess.

If it's repaired will it be done properly?
Will the wife get a decent rental?
If it's written off are they going to offer a decent value for the car?

The service I've received so far wasn't amazing.

The first woman I spoke to wanted me to go through my own insurance
2nd woman was a bit better
The 3rd woman I spoke to couldn't just add the details I gave her to the details I'd given to the 2nd lady? Basically I called up to advise her that the car was actually unroadworthy (there's a bit of trim in the boot that's broken and exhaust gases could be leaking in, tbh the two times I drove it on the weekend I did feel a bit unwell but that could just be my mind playing tricks)

They also said that I should get an email within 2 hours? Well I haven't had one.

Hi, sorry about your accidents guys hope you all get it sorted out successfully :). However I'm a little confused though? (I apologise if I've read this wrong it was only a quick scan) but I was always told that after an accident you should phone your insurance company only and report the claim and let them pursue the case? Won't they do there hardest to make sure the 3rd party coughs up so they don't have to pay instead?

Just a feeling in my waters I guess.
If it's repaired will it be done properly?
Will the wife get a decent rental?
If it's written off are they going to offer a decent value for the car?

At this stage, I'd concentrate on getting the other insurance company to accept liability. If they're going to contest it, you might have to rethink whether you'd be better off using a claims handling company.

That said, as I posted earlier, my own experience in a similar situation was a positive one, and none of the concerns you are expressing actually materialised.

My guess is that they'll write the car off, so I'd be doing some homework on what it was realistically worth pre-accident. If they do write it off, your other concerns probably won't matter.

Focus on the positives; your wife isn't hurt and she does have another means of getting about. The accident damage is entirely consistent with it being a no-fault claim on her part and I'm sure you'll get there in the end.

At this stage, I'd concentrate on getting the other insurance company to accept liability. If they're going to contest it, you might have to rethink whether you'd be better off using a claims handling company.

That said, as I posted earlier, my own experience in a similar situation was a positive one, and none of the concerns you are expressing actually materialised.

My guess is that they'll write the car off, so I'd be doing some homework on what it was realistically worth pre-accident. If they do write it off, your other concerns probably won't matter.

Focus on the positives; your wife isn't hurt and she does have another means of getting about. The accident damage is entirely consistent with it being a no-fault claim on her part and I'm sure you'll get there in the end.

Oh of course, could have been worse, at this time last year some stupid doctor at the hospital had the wife convinced that she had cancer with absolutely evidence whatsoever, muchos stressful time.

As you can imagine I'm not the sort of person to bend over easily, so I will get there and I'm sure Chris will also :)

P.S I have to drive the bloody Subaru to work now :p

486672_10151590487030189_355000096_n.jpg

If you have a smartphone, it's now possible to get the other driver's details from the MID at the time of the accident. Have a read of this. This will immediately alert you if the other party tries to give false details. Best of all, it's free (for now).

I'm not sure why, but something about this worries me.

Anyone can get my insurance details - even if they supply a false email and vehicle registration, they can get my insurance details sent to their phone.

I have a feeling that a criminal mind could use this for some kind of scam.

I'm not sure why, but something about this worries me.

Anyone can get my insurance details - even if they supply a false email and vehicle registration, they can get my insurance details sent to their phone.

I have a feeling that a criminal mind could use this for some kind of scam.

Why? They could still report you for a hit and miss as i did to someone a few weeks ago and get your details from the Police

Back