General Group 3 forward facing child restraint "booster seats" - HELP

Currently reading:
General Group 3 forward facing child restraint "booster seats" - HELP

I need desperate help before I pull my hair out

Fiat 500L 63 plate 5 door hatchback.

Youngest child finally graduated to a group 3 child seat so I have two in the vehicle now. I cannot find a seat to fit behind the drivers seat though, so I currently have my 7 year old in his seat in the front with me and I am not comfortable with this. I will post pictures but to describe my problem; the rear vehicle seat behind the driver is so narrow, that the child seats sit ontop of the seatbelt so it cannot be plugged in. When a seat is secured with isofix, the isofix arms cover the seatbelt so again, impossible to plug in the adult seat belt. I've tried so many seats now I'm losing the will to live. I love this car but I will have to get rid if my kids can't be safe.

People with this vehicle - what group 3 booster seats are you using in position behind the driver?

Thanks
20220818_142236.jpg
20220907_130215.jpg

Hmm.

To me it looks like a combination of the 500l having isofix points mounted a long way forward and the hidden seatbelt design. You can see the cut out in front of the isofix arm where the designer thought the seat belt would fall.

This is our Joie 1-3 in situ..(not in a 500L) but notice you can't see the mounting point at as its about an inch behind the seat cushion.

PXL_20220917_121609712.MP.jpg

However when it comes to solving your problem, bit of a head scratcher. Given the size and age of eldest child are they ready for a more traditional booster? One thought would be given the actual seat belt is providing the majority of the restraint the eldest could sit behind yourself in a smaller seat and the younger in the seat formally occupied by the older.

I do understand that traditional boosters don't necessarily offer the same side impact protection of backed seat though but last I saw backless boosters were recommended over 7.

Hi all thanks for the replies. So yeah it's only behind the driver, but using the middle belt isnt an option as I have another seat on the side behind the passenger and they won't fit side by side.
Due to the fact that the seat belt is directly in line width the isofix, and the vehicle seat is most definitely narrower. I think it's substantially narrower around 10cm? So whenever I put a seat in it sits on top of the seat belt.
Really not comfortable with him being in a backless booster. Keen for him to continue to have side impact protection

Hi all thanks for the replies. So yeah it's only behind the driver, but using the middle belt isnt an option as I have another seat on the side behind the passenger and they won't fit side by side.
Due to the fact that the seat belt is directly in line width the isofix, and the vehicle seat is most definitely narrower. I think it's substantially narrower around 10cm? So whenever I put a seat in it sits on top of the seat belt.
Really not comfortable with him being in a backless booster. Keen for him to continue to have side impact protection
Just to add 7 is my eldest. This problems come about since my youngest has graduated to HBB lol :(

What I was (poorly) attempting to suggest ..

The rear seats in the car will almost certainly have (underneath the seat base)

3sets of fixing points..for 3 seatbelts

With the Central seat / belt.. could swapping the plug in part across to the other side give you the room you need for access (It it isually just a LARGE bolt holding each belt fixing into the floor of the car)

Another option.. but maybe too big a compromise

' Larger people'.. or bulky items ...found that the belt wasnt quite long enough to reach the plug
So a short 'extension belt' was employed to stretch that extra six inches

It could be permanently plugged into the point.. and you did your daily plugging and unplugging into the now accessible extension

Its a dilemma isnt it..

A friend has a multimac, they aren't cheap unfortunately but they got their's pre owned. It seems to take up much the same space as 2 separate seats I realise they are for a minimum of 3 children but that does give you a spare slot for ferrying one of their friends about. Youd have to check out the safety standards to make sure its up to your own requirements.

A friend has a multimac, they aren't cheap unfortunately but they got their's pre owned. It seems to take up much the same space as 2 separate seats I realise they are for a minimum of 3 children but that does give you a spare slot for ferrying one of their friends about. Youd have to check out the safety standards to make sure its up to your own requirements.

Yeah I'm not keen on them unfortunately, the safety rating isn't great on them :(

What I was (poorly) attempting to suggest ..

The rear seats in the car will almost certainly have (underneath the seat base)

3sets of fixing points..for 3 seatbelts

With the Central seat / belt.. could swapping the plug in part across to the other side give you the room you need for access (It it isually just a LARGE bolt holding each belt fixing into the floor of the car)

Another option.. but maybe too big a compromise

' Larger people'.. or bulky items ...found that the belt wasnt quite long enough to reach the plug
So a short 'extension belt' was employed to stretch that extra six inches

It could be permanently plugged into the point.. and you did your daily plugging and unplugging into the now accessible extension

Its a dilemma isnt it..
I see what you mean! That is actually genius. The seatbelt on the passenger side won't lock into the middle belt buckle though - it must be a different shape cos it doesn't seem to "click" in

The central one is 'different' by design

My suggestion was swap the 2..

centre to where it gets hidden

Hidden one to the centre

Its just 'nut and bolts'..parts are already in your car
Yeah that's what I thought you meant but the passenger side belt won't buckle in will it cos the part it buckles into is different. It doesn't click into it even if they were swapped over

For the youngest one I meant. Some rear facing seem to be designed for older children now.
They've both outgrown their rear facing seat. My eldest is over the weight limit for all in the market, my daughter I could probably get in a rear facing seat, but they are expensive for higher weight limit around £4/500, and she would only get a year maybe 18 months out of it before she was over the limit too and then we will have this problem again when trying to find a booster

Its beginning to sound like the cheapest option is to get a slightly longer seat belt stalk professionally fitted? Its yet another expense but it would help with the future booster seat as well. :(

A couple more inches should get it out of the way of the isofix.

One more option.

None isofix seat? Should give a bit more wiggle/shove room when using the seatbelt, will be located by the seat belt. Now they aren't on a 5 point harness attached to the seat that cars seat belt will be doing the restraint anyway so it being bolted down isn't as safety critical as you'd imagine.

Its beginning to sound like the cheapest option is to get a slightly longer seat belt stalk professionally fitted? Its yet another expense but it would help with the future booster seat as well. :(

A couple more inches should get it out of the way of the isofix.
This actually isn't a bad shout. Wonder what the cost of this would be

Back