Technical Glovebox won't latch when closed

Currently reading:
Technical Glovebox won't latch when closed

Lambie

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hello! Sorry if this has been dealt with before but I couldn't find the same issue on the search.

I bought a Grande Punto '07 1.2L a couple of weeks back and I've managed to break the glovebox already, but I have no idea how. :slayer:

I've uploaded an unlisted video to YouTube to demonstrate my issue. This was recorded on my iPhone but I'll get my kit out later and get a proper recording.

youtu.be/vs9WF320CDY (original)
youtu.be/SjhM2Fg90Tw (Better)

When you push the glovebox closed and let go, you can feel some resistance as if it closed before it then drops open. It feels like it's locking on to the metal bar latch, but then just lets go when there's nothing supporting it up.

I've seen it mentioned before that the metal bar it clips on to can become loose or misalligned. It seems to close flush, so I think the bar might be positioned correctly, and I gave it a wiggle and it's sturdy.

Does anyone have an idea of what's wrong? Thank you anyone for any help!

Attachments

• DSC_0026.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 178
Last edited:
its a common problem and easily fixed. Either pay FIAT a small fortune or search ebay...

My car came without mats, had a look on the official FIAT store and nearly had a heart attack at the prices! Ahhhh

Do you reckon I need to replace an element of the glovebox then? The handle mechanism or the entire glovebox?

just edited my original post with the ebay link to the one I bought.
Thanks, I've bought the handle. Detached the glove box and everything seems fine, so I'm now also thinking the handle's borked.

Arrives Thursday apparently. Then I can go back to storing nothing but one CD in the glove box! :slayer:

Thanks for that mate, the handle arrived and works a charm. Had a fiddle with the mechanism and it looks like the spring on the handle had bust, which'd make sense why it tickled the bar instead of locking. No more annoyed passengers!

Thanks again! :worship:

Back