Technical Rusted rear wheel drum won't move

Currently reading:
Technical Rusted rear wheel drum won't move

Both handbrake levers are in a similar position off the shoes, I'll have a dig around in the car tomorrow. In the car itself I think someone has had some pliers on the offside cable, trying to pull it up and in the process taking off the plastic cable cover.

The hand brake MUST be fully released
Then The handbrake cable MUST be fully slackened off before the auto adjusters are manually set somewhere near to drum. Then auto adjusters operated to finally set shoe positions,this can take many operations and will only work if manually setting first is close Enough to drums.
ONLY Then adjust cable.

The shoe levers are far too far off their stops in your photos , though I can't tell from your post where handbrake hand lever was when you took photo.

If photo was with handbrake released then you Must release the cable adjuster a long way until shoe lever touching stop.

Last edited:
The hand brake MUST be fully released
Then The handbrake cable MUST be fully slackened off before the auto adjusters are manually set somewhere near to drum. Then auto adjusters operated to finally set shoe positions,this can take many operations and will only work if manually setting first is close Enough to drums.
ONLY Then adjust cable.

The shoe levers are far too far off their stops in your photos , though I can't tell from your post where handbrake hand lever was when you took photo

I slackened the cable so it would pull up on 10 clicks, so it was really loose, then I took pictures with the handbrake off. I just can't get the handbrake lever in a neutral position next to the shoes.

I slackened the cable so it would pull up on 10 clicks, so it was really loose, then I took pictures with the handbrake off. I just can't get the handbrake lever in a neutral position next to the shoes.

This is most likely because the shoes are too far from drums to start with-also indicated by long travel of brake pedal.

Release the cable completely

Make sure the shoe levers are against their stops or the auto adjusters WILL NOT WORK.

Adjust the shoes close to drum.

Make the auto adjusters work

This is most likely because the shoes are too far from drums to start with.

Release the cable completely

Make sure the shoe levers are against their stops or the auto adjusters WILL NOT WORK.

Adjust the shoes close to drum.

Make the auto adjusters work

I will disconnect the handbrake in the car tomorrow, I'm not sure how to do that yet, but I can work it out, then I'll adjust as you've suggested.

I will disconnect the handbrake in the car tomorrow, I'm not sure how to do that yet, but I can work it out, then I'll adjust as you've suggested.
Just undo the cable adjuster nut completely-and make sure shoe levers fully retracted against their stops.

Auto adjusters can be handed left and right - dont mix up parts of adjusters between sides

Ignor any reference of "number of clicks" to pull up hand lever ,it very often results in over adjusted cables that prevent the auto adjusters working correctly.

Only after you get the shoes set correctly ensuring auto adjusters work can you touch the cable. Even then ignor "number of clicks"
With the handbrake off The cable adjuster should only be used to take out slack in cables before the shoe levers move off their stops. If the cable adjuster is tightened so it pulls either shoe lever off its stop then the cable is too tight.

Lots of people cheering you on.
Drum brakes can be a challenge for a lot of people but you are asking lots of good questions and will be experienced when task completed.
Thank goodness you have the "easy" self adjuster type

Both handbrake levers are in a similar position off the shoes, I'll have a dig around in the car tomorrow. In the car itself I think someone has had some pliers on the offside cable, trying to pull it up and in the process taking off the plastic cable cover.
Yes if the plastic sheathing is damaged it can cause the inner cable not to "free run", if good, with drums off it should be possible to pull it on , then release and return to the stops against brake shoes.
Always better to fit as a pair, but if you are sure other side is working well you may be able to avoid that.

Thank goodness you have the "easy" self adjuster type

I disconnected the handbrake cables in the car and got both levers next to their shoes and in the correct position. With the drums on I pumped on the brake pedal but only one self adjuster was clicking, I take the drum off and the self adjuster instead of turning the thread had doubled over on itself and is now unusable. I'll order another one and start again. It is of course the original problem brake.

It is still quite possible that the handbrake on the other side is seized, I didn't get a chance to follow this through to know.

These brakes are like the gift that keeps on giving :)

Make sure the other self adjuster is definately working.
If the shoe levers didn't return to their stops on their own when you released the cables in the car then you need new cables too.

Make sure the other self adjuster is definately working.
If the shoe levers didn't return to their stops on their own when you released the cables in the car then you need new cables too.
The other self adjuster was fine, I checked both brakes before and after, the other one clicked through another 3 or 4 threads. I'm hoping I won't need to change handbrake cables. I imagine its quite difficult! :)

Back