Technical Gears not selecting in Horizontal plane

Currently reading:
Technical Gears not selecting in Horizontal plane

lovehate

So a few days ago my gear stick would not engage from side to side, just waggling like a ...... it would only shift backwards and forwards from 3 to 4, managed to slip the clutch and get it home. i replaced the left selector cable last year so i just assumed the issue would be the right cable, on examining the cables and finding out they are both moving freely and figuring out the right cable is for reverse and not for horizontal movement, I have come to the conclusion that at the bottom of the gear stick is another ball and cup type fitting and I am thinking that this has popped out. it looks almost like a sealed unit, does anyone have any idea what I'm rabbling about? looked on ebay and cant see the whole unit for my model of Punto, nor can I find the part I am looking for separately. thank you

There is no reverse only cable. The relaxed position of neutral is between 3rd and 4th. You need left side ways movement against the neutral spring to reach 1/2 and right side ways movement against the spring to reach 5th and then more to reach reverse.

So it sounds like the cable needed for that movement has broken.

The Panda 169 cables are separate so it likely the Punto 2 is the same. Who knows, they might even be transferable.

s-l1600.jpg

Back