Technical Gearbox stiff, hard to get in

Currently reading:
Technical Gearbox stiff, hard to get in

I have a Punto 1.9JTD 2004, I had changed gearbox fluid 75w/80 what the manual is said because I have an issue is to change down but not up, it is hard to get to 2nd gear from 3rd and 2nd to 1st at low speed, but when the car is stopped it go in easy. I was wondering what could cause it? The car have done 168,000 miles and new clutch LUK was fitted three years ago. I was not sure if is gear link need to renew? Or problem with gearbox synchromesh?

I hope someone can help me with this issue.

I have a Punto 1.9JTD 2004, I had changed gearbox fluid 75w/80 what the manual is said because I have an issue is to change down but not up, it is hard to get to 2nd gear from 3rd and 2nd to 1st at low speed, but when the car is stopped it go in easy. I was wondering what could cause it? The car have done 168,000 miles and new clutch LUK was fitted three years ago. I was not sure if is gear link need to renew? Or problem with gearbox synchromesh?

I hope someone can help me with this issue.
if it is stiff and not crunching the gears it will be the oil or the clutch. There could be air in the clutch. I have a cheap Total oil in my car which does make the gearbox slightly stiff but not sufficient to change the oil to the more expensive recommended oil

Yesterday drain 99% new oil and refilled new expensive Castro oil, still stiff. I have bled out the clutch slave no air traps inside. So it is the clutch plate issue if I am correct?

75w/80 Recommend for 1.9JTD.

Attachments

• external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
    external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 60
Thanks, shall have to pop in a garage tomorrow. Still not improve, is getting the worst now.

The problem is the clutch pump. You need to replace it. Check how much the clutch slave pushes the clutch fork when someone (who helps you) pushes the clutch pedal. I think it doesn't push it all the way it should and that is because one of the gaskets inside clutch pump is worn out. If this is the case, you can see it in the clutch fluid reservoir. When you press down the clutch pedal, after passing the half way of it, you can see that fluid is beeing pushed backwards into the reservoir, so incoplete declutching thakes place and thai is why you can't normally change gears with the engine running.

The problem is the clutch pump. You need to replace it. Check how much the clutch slave pushes the clutch fork when someone (who helps you) pushes the clutch pedal. I think it doesn't push it all the way it should and that is because one of the gaskets inside clutch pump is worn out. If this is the case, you can see it in the clutch fluid reservoir. When you press down the clutch pedal, after passing the half way of it, you can see that fluid is beeing pushed backwards into the reservoir, so incoplete declutching thakes place and thai is why you can't normally change gears with the engine running.
The garage say it is the clutch plates or the slave cylinder, you said slave, so I am going to look at it. Thanks

I say master cylinder, but could very much be the slave. The master cylinder is located under the clutch pedal. With the pedal, you push onto it's piston.
And if it's not that (but I'm pretty sure it is), the other thing that could be is not clutch plates, but the clutch bearing. Considering that you fitted new clutch 3 years ago, I'd say that plates and bearing are fine, or they should be.

Last edited:
Back