General fuel consumption

Currently reading:
General fuel consumption

I don't really check the consumption on the Panda as it rarely ventures out of town, it mostly travels within a 5 mile radius.

Last time I checked it was doing about 36 mpg.. not wonderful for a small car.

Cheers,

Plug

Either your right foot is heavy or you need to check there is nothing causing drag. Grive very slowly then knock into neutral and see if it rolls along freely till you come to a stop which should be very gradual. If it stops all of a sudden from a low speed the brakes could be binding bearings worn. Also after a run check if the wheels are overly warm/hot

I've just checked my handbook and the tank capacity is 40 litres or 8.8 gallons.

Manufacturers fuel consumption figures are (assuming 5 speed box):

Simulated urban driving - 44.8 mpg
Constant 56 mph - 61.4 mpg
Constant 75 mph - 43.5 mpg

I have to say I'm impressed. I never considered fuel consumption when I bought mine. Even when you consider that manufacturers claims are usually nothing to do with reality you should still see better than 36mpg. If you're only driving a few miles at at time though the engine will never be operating at optimum temperature and you'll be doing most of your mileage with the choke to some degree. Not good for your engine.

The fuel tank in the 4x4 is smaller then 2x4 i think.. its about 27 litres. I don't know exactly what my MPG is but if i take it easy doing about 60-70 on the motorway I can get from manchester to dover on a tank..
I don't think there quite as good as a lot of people make out, probably about 45mpg.. these are 20 year old engine designs remember..

I think around 45 - 50 mpg which by any standards is pretty damn good

I got a load of verbal abuse from my mate who drives a 2.3 litre Saab (nice car) - until I asked him how often he filled up and how much it cost...ha ha!

I drive my little Panda for practicality (including economy) and in fairness I think they are really, really cool (in a nice boxy kind of way!) - I just love 'em!

Alan.D said:
Either your right foot is heavy

Me, officer? Surely not...;) There's nothing wrong with the car, it's only covered 22K and drives like a new one. I do drive it 'enthusiastically', as Chris says, because that's how the Italians drive theirs!

default_user said:
you'll be doing most of your mileage with the choke to some degree

Choke? Got rid of that when I sold the 750... Fuel injection! Wor.. 50 bhp :slayer:

Cheers,

Plug

I have to admit to being a life long member of the 'enthusiastic' driving club. Unfortunately for me, my daily commute is a 120 mile round trip so I'm forced to drive a diesel otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford to go to work! So my daily driver is a Volvo V40 1.9TD. Even so, I usually only get around 38mpg. I'd be better off doing it in a Panda!

default_user said:
I have to admit to being a life long member of the 'enthusiastic' driving club. Unfortunately for me, my daily commute is a 120 mile round trip so I'm forced to drive a diesel otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford to go to work! So my daily driver is a Volvo V40 1.9TD. Even so, I usually only get around 38mpg. I'd be better off doing it in a Panda!
my colleague has a slightly more humble and economic drive... a 106 deisel returns about 65mpg on average.

I think however the costs of the run are secondary as your car seems to cost a fair amount in the first place.

True, V40s are expensive new and a very nice car to boot. Mine however is an older model bought quite cheaply 2nd hand with astronomical mileage and is the best I can afford in my current circumstances. I didn't want to get something with a small engine as the yearly distance travelled and my 'enthusiastic' driving style would probably kill it off in no time. Also, I'm spending an awful lot of my time in my car so wanted something comfortable. I also do a lot of DIY so it's great for cramming loads of big stuff in the back and using to take loads of crap to the tip. My car is a work horse and looks like one but it's taken it all in it's stride. It's also an excellent tow car and dragged my donor Panda all the way from South Wales to Co. Durham easily on less than one tank of diesel. Ironically, because I was towing I was driving very sensibly and it returned better mpg than normal! Perhaps I'd be better off having a large trailer permanently attached!

default_user said:
True, V40s are expensive new and a very nice car to boot. Mine however is an older model bought quite cheaply 2nd hand with astronomical mileage and is the best I can afford in my current circumstances. I didn't want to get something with a small engine as the yearly distance travelled and my 'enthusiastic' driving style would probably kill it off in no time. Also, I'm spending an awful lot of my time in my car so wanted something comfortable. I also do a lot of DIY so it's great for cramming loads of big stuff in the back and using to take loads of crap to the tip. My car is a work horse and looks like one but it's taken it all in it's stride. It's also an excellent tow car and dragged my donor Panda all the way from South Wales to Co. Durham easily on less than one tank of diesel. Ironically, because I was towing I was driving very sensibly and it returned better mpg than normal! Perhaps I'd be better off having a large trailer permanently attached!

Have you thought about either a mercedes w123 240 diesel (40mpg, and sooo comfortable), or a fiat tempra diesel estate (50 mpg).

I've thought about buying lots of cars, believe me. What I really really want is a BMW 320 Diesel Coupe. But as I said, my financial situation means I have to make do with what I have. I also like to spend what little disposable income I have on my hobbies, and I have a few so it's spread pretty thin. I have enough debt at the moment and don't want to incur any more so I plod on, as most people do, making the best of what I have. I live alone and have a mortgage, debts, bills, travelling expenses, girlfriend etc etc all taking big chunks out of my wage packet.

Anyway, this thread is in danger of being hijacked. If anyone wants to start a thread moaning about money then please do, I'll have plenty of input ;) .

default_user said:
Anyway, this thread is in danger of being hijacked. If anyone wants to start a thread moaning about money then please do, I'll have plenty of input ;) .
you are pretty much in a 'moan about money' free zone... it's taken for granted if you own a fiat that you're either broke or well on the way ;)

I don't know. Quite a few people on this forum seem to have Pandas as second cars. And a fair few own more than one, in some cases several! Mind you, I could probably afford to go out and buy a flock of bog standard 750s.

Perhaps a quick poll would be in order?

default_user said:
I don't know. Quite a few people on this forum seem to have Pandas as second cars. And a fair few own more than one, in some cases several! Mind you, I could probably afford to go out and buy a flock of bog standard 750s.

Perhaps a quick poll would be in order?
number of cars means nothing :) that is a symptom of the disorder...you are better off asking how many of them are drivable on the road legally :)... that normally whittles the numbers down a bit.

Back