Technical Trouble starting

Currently reading:
Technical Trouble starting

tobywood13

Hi all, I have a 1992 Panda CLX with the FIRE engine. A few days ago my car had a hot start issue which I solved by pouring cool water on the fuel lines, the next day it took a lot of cranking to get the car going but then it was fine all day, now it won’t start properly.

With no choke and the throttle held all the way down it will run for a few seconds, rev with the throttle, but then splutter and die. When it dies the carb seems quite full with fuel. I’ve replaced the vacuum diaphragm, taken the carb apart and cleaned it, changed the in-line fuel filter (which doesn’t fill up very much now), and still it won’t go. I also ran the fuel pump into a bucket as I cranked the car and it delivered fuel in bursts or pulses rather than a steady flow. Any ideas what might be wrong still? I’m thinking the fuel pump, but as it’s mechanical and it ran fine after a rough start the other day I’m not certain. Thanks!

Paola la Panda is back in action, finally. Took the distributor apart again, made sure it all went back together properly, adjusted the points, mixture, distributor timing, managed to gradually smooth the running out. Now it starts up perfectly fine, maybe a little rich. I think the new coil and a bit of tuning sorted it out.

Back