Technical Front Coil Spring Change Refitting Problem

Currently reading:
Technical Front Coil Spring Change Refitting Problem

stephensdg

Hi.

Not posted for a while so please bear with me.

Today I have tackled the job of changing a coil spring. The car has been sat outside since Monday looking a bit sorry for itself; much smaller gap above the tyre to wheel arch.

When I finally got the strut out the spring was broken and had managed to coil itself into the the remainder of the spring. So much so that I had to use a mallet to knock it around and off.

Having refitted the spring onto the strut I am finding that the steering knuckle joint is not lining up. In fact, the bottom of the strut is effectively resting on the drive shaft. It looks like I need about an inch more travel to get the bolts through.

I don’t suppose anyone has encountered this before or have any idea what I might have done wrong. My initial thoughts were that maybe damage might have occurred to the wishbone or something but to my fairly inexperienced eye things look to be the same on both sides.

Any help would be great, thanks ???

Ah, good old ferrous oxide, where would we be without it!

Thanks for the tip, I went outside first thing this morning and raised it up on the other side. Was still a bit of a pig but went in eventually.

Hope you got your fathers MK2b through the MOT in the end ������

Back