Technical HGT 1.8 front subframe difference.

Currently reading:
Technical HGT 1.8 front subframe difference.

ferrarist75

Have some problems while trying to fit 2.0TS engine from Alfa 156 in MK2 engine bay and need some info.
Is 1.8 HGT front subframe same as other MK2s(1.2)???

The subframe's are all the same, I gave up trying to fit the 2.0 in mine (the blocks taller), I just fitted the 2.0 crankshaft & pistons into the 1.8 block.
I'm using Alfa 156's 1.8 engine block, regrinded to 2.0 size. Same......
What driveshafts did you use?
Thanks for the help...

I'm also planning on doing the same thing. How much is the block height difference? Only problem I'm facing is crankshaft position sensor or the trigger wheel to be exact. I want to use stock ecu because my hgt has traction control etc, it's not really drivable without in winter
Dont know if you be able to start 2.0TS engine with HGT ecu.....
I will use all156s electronic...
However from my measurements engine hight, from sump to cam cover seems OK and within range of the bonnet.

Dont know if you be able to start 2.0TS engine with HGT ecu.....
I will use all156s electronic...
However from my measurements engine hight, from sump to cam cover seems OK and within range of the bonnet.
No because of the trigger wheel, it's subaru stylish 6 teeth in hgt and alfa has basic 60-2. I have to use hgt crankshaft pulley and weld correct trigger wheel to it

I used the standard HGT block & gearbox etc so everything is stock gearbox/driveshaft/Ecu wise (I used the 2.0 Alfa clutch as its a touch bigger).

I fitted the standard HGT trigger wheel to the 2.0 crankshaft, so long as you line up the three holes & only remove the lip where there are no bumps it works, well its been like it for 12 years no problem.

The only issue is the extra throw of the crank makes the shoulder of the conrod interfere with the bottom of the cylinder, so you have to cut some clearance off the the block.

I used Pauter rods as I fitted a TD04 Turbo, tbh I wouldn't bother now, Tjet engines are pretty cheap & much easier to tune (or a 1750TBI from an Alfa would be interesting).

You have to trim the edge of the trigger wheel in places to fit over the larger web.

The Alfa block's are no better, I'd honestly just go for a T-jet.

Back