Technical Punto Mk2 2002 front end rattle.

Currently reading:
Technical Punto Mk2 2002 front end rattle.

Humph

Punto mk2 2002 65000 miles. has developed a left hand side front end rattle which is driving me nuts.We have checked everything under and on top and other than replacing the torsion bar two outside bushed we have found nothing.Put the car in for MOT and it pasted with just a couple of minor advisories but no answer on the rattle.If you have any ideas it will be much appreciated, it sounds like half the car is about to fall off!
Humph.

Punto mk2 2002 65000 miles. has developed a left hand side front end rattle which is driving me nuts.We have checked everything under and on top and other than replacing the torsion bar two outside bushed we have found nothing.Put the car in for MOT and it pasted with just a couple of minor advisories but no answer on the rattle.If you have any ideas it will be much appreciated, it sounds like half the car is about to fall off!
Humph.
Lots of things on suspension can rattle, bit more information would help.
Torsion bar outside bushed? Do you mean anti roll bar links?
Light rattle,metallic rattle, dull knock under, passenger feet area, more towards the front, does it change if you lightly touch the brake pedal, or turn the steering etc. etc.?:)

Lots of things on suspension can rattle, bit more information would help.
Torsion bar outside bushed? Do you mean anti roll bar links?
Light rattle,metallic rattle, dull knock under, passenger feet area, more towards the front, does it change if you lightly touch the brake pedal, or turn the steering etc. etc.?:)
Thanks for the reply, the rattle appears to be coming from the near side front, I have striped the calipers cleaned and refitted, no noise from them.The rattle is metallic, sounds like a loose panel could be described as a knock. Replaced the outer roll bar links The noise is closer to the n/s front wheel and no change when moving steering, no noise on a smooth road surface.
Regards
Humph.

First check carefully for broken road springs, then change the anti roll bar drop links. They are not expensive and have a lot to answer for. If this doesnt stop it more investigation is needed.
Thanks, I think I am getting the drop links mixed up with the anti roll bar outer bushes which I have replaced, Will have a look at both, don't you think that both items would have been found during the MOT
Regards. Humph

Thanks, I think I am getting the drop links mixed up with the anti roll bar outer bushes which I have replaced, Will have a look at both, don't you think that both items would have been found during the MOT
Regards. Humph
No not really. A good tester should notice worn bushes, but Ive had a brand new car with faulty drop links and the garage couldnt spot it. I asked my local workshop at work to change them and the problem went away. In fairness they can rattle without any significant wear being evident. Its quite characteristic and is a hard sounding rattle over nearly every bump. The roll bar bushes can be quite soft and worn bir not actually rattle. If they are rattling it will be pretty evident they are worn. The other prime suspect would be the lower ball joints but I would expect the MOT to pick it up, but again not necessarily. If these rattle you can pretty well always see movement with a pry bar.

All you can do is have a really close look at everything around that area , even using a pry bar to check for movement etc.
Remember if you only jack up one side it will pre load the anti roll bar inner bushes and the drop arm links that join the bar to the suspension strut, stopping you from feeling any play, so it needs to be supported equally both sides.
If trying to feel play in the ball joint on the outer end of the bottom wishbone it needs to be hanging free, not on axle stands unless on chassis.
Over the years I have had everything from the wheel nuts loose, hub nut /bearings loose,inner wishbone bushes worn, inner wishbone bolts loose, inner wishbone bolts tight but still movement as not securing wishbone to subframe/chassis(as in bolt seized but not pinching wishbone bushes tight in frame), as mentioned springs broken, spring cup rusted away, spring top mount bearing failure, etc., etc.
Then with antiroll bar links even if tested on level ground sometimes play may only be noticed with hand on the joint and some rocking the car side to side, inner anti roll bar bushes may have movement again only found with a pry bar to show it.
Brake calipers loose in support bracket , brake sliders worn, etc.
Other times wear may only be seen when an assistant is shaking the road wheel whilst you are checking the suspect part.
I am sure there are other things I have forgotten others may suggest, even things like bumper support brackets mountings for the engine can cause noises too.
As an apprentice many years ago we spent ages trying to locate a slight rattle on a Mk 1 Ford Cortina, certainly not a car as sophisticated and quite as todays vehicles, the owner was insistent and one day we heard the noise just barely that he was concerned about and was able to trace it , a metal choke cable going through the metal bulkhead, a simple rubber grommet was all it took in the end, something I am not sure it even left the manufacturers with.;)

Excessively worn Droplinks or the little boots that cover their rose joint type bearings any parts missing or slack parts are normally Advisories.

As you would notice the front wheels lacking adhesion in the wet, on bumpy roads or roundabouts at the least. With the rollbar that they are both connected to (be it front or back setups) causing the thing to swerve when braking on any surface.

And as mentioned earlier when one side is under load, the opposite side compensates. Keeping all four wheels in proper contact with the road surface.

Once had a phantom noise from one of my rear wheels on one of my many 91 - 94 Uno's.

It came when the car slowed down or at the start of driving it, as the faster it went it disappeared.

Turned out to be a loose bit of lead from a failed balance weight.

Only found it when I changed the wheel and the weight fell out the hub cover😁😁😁

This does remind me our 169 was rattling like hell and it his was the radiator and condenser moving. I have packed them with heavy grade foam and its now quiet. I really need to remove the bumper and sort it out properly, but it sounded to all the world like a major nearside supension failure. I spent an hour bashing everything with my fist before bringing the fault into the open, Bashing the bumper eventually duplicated the sound. Maybe its something similar?

As @varesecrazy mentions, one I had forgotten was either track rod inner swivel joint or indeed the bush that supports the steering rack at the outer end of the steering assembly, although when noise occurs it may be possible to eliminate that by a very gentle bias at the steering wheel to see if it has an affect.
Normally most of these items could/should be picked up by the Mot tester.
One noise I recall from the dim and distant past , I had a Peugeot 604, lovely car apart from the fuel economy , but with a light persistent rattle from n/s/r, shortly before I sold it I had cause to take the n/s/r wheel off and happened to see a brake pad locating bar floating loose inside the rear coil spring, God knows how it got there, not personally guilty, but car was lovely and quiet after removal.;)

As my da used to say ' find some uneven road or a cobbled street and drive your vehicle up and down it' your car will either fall apart or the bits rattling, will fall off.

No matter what age the vehicle is, it will rattle. He should know as he drove Hgv's, buses and the occasional coach.

He also said most rattles, and unknown clunks were exhaust, or battery holder related. And anything bolted onto the metal of the engine bay.

Last edited:
No drop links ever fitted to this car and no fixing points for them ?

I will ask again, 🙂

How are you diagnosing this rattle?

Same person, sitting in the same seat, often doesn't help

I have a noise the last couple of months

I think LHS passenger thinks RHS, we both agree,
it's BEHIND US..
two 13 stone males in front seats. Same knocking with just the driver

Back