General Floor pan welded-woops! Seat on fire

Currently reading:
General Floor pan welded-woops! Seat on fire

Hi all,
I left my car with mechanic to repair a hole in rear floor pan.
When I went to collect the car today,he informed me the rear seat caught fire and damaged the front 2 seats also.
He got me good 2nd hand seats front and back.
Hopefully my mk2 punto will pass nct now,only problem a little smell of
smoke in the car!!!!!!!!

Hi all,
When I went to collect the car today,he informed me the rear seat caught fire and damaged the front 2 seats also.
smoke in the car!!!!!!!!

So another member has a punto fire story to tell!

I just got a hot work card (mandatory in Finland if you want to have insurance while doing anything with a fire risk). Some of the requirements seems a bit daft but I suppose having a fire guard to watch the top of the car while you weld the bottom of a car seems a good idea.

Hi all,
smoke in the car!!!!!!!!

Poor planning on the part of the welder there :(

The job is often smally... due to paint burning off the steel..and the new underseal will pong also.

But letting the seat catch fire is fairly exceptional... surely standing the seat upright on its himges was within their technical limits...!!

The guy that did ours spent more time looking at the carpets than the rust holes.
Seemed like he was sizing up the difficulty of making safe over the welding which he being an MG restorer laughed at as a doddle.

Hi all,
smoke in the car!!!!!!!!

heuhueuhuehueuh

Years ago when i worked in a Fiat car body shop...rule 1 when any welding was done under the car was to have a 2nd person doing fireguard inside the vehicle armed with a fire extinguisher just in case....and this was after removal of seats/carpet/underlay and anything else likely to catch fire
Only incident we ever had was guy underneath was welding a large hole..i was on fire guard...some flames appeared as the paint caught alight so i duly gave it a good shot of extinguisher.....at which point guy under the car promptly started swearing as I had extinguished his cigarette as well as the small flames inside the car

the tank is plastic so extra caution needed on welding modern cars
your welder should have at least had a helper on fire watch inside the car with rear seat squab removed front seat applicable removed and the carpet pulled back to the tunnel
its hardly surprising interior caught fire if this wasn't done plus theres loyts of sticky bitumen on the floor that loves to spontaneously combust
welded needs to pack in
i burned a car out 30 years ago because i did some underfloor welding on my own,i nearly burnt my garage down and the black smoke was putryfying this is why whenever i see house fires in the news and people die due to smoke inhalation i understand completely

A Mate was doing some welding (gas torch) under his car and when he was admiring his handy work he heard a bubbling sound and found a red glowing patch on the fuel tank. Very lucky it was a metal tank and that it was full.:eek:

My MK2a floor is covered with some sort of bitumen on the inside and that stuff is flammable. Had to take out all the seats and carpet when i had my underside fixed. Had few small fires of bitumen and one skin burn :)

Back