Technical Fitted new battery, now i've got multiple issues.

Currently reading:
Technical Fitted new battery, now i've got multiple issues.

asjdrummond

Customer fitted a new battery, now "i've" got multiple issues.

vehicle is a 2018 Fiat ducato 35 technico 2.3 diesel.

Issues include;

- No radio
- Flashing Mileage
- Airbag light
- No parking sensors
- No interior lights
- Instrument cluster flickering on first ignition turn.

Please see video attatched

Any Advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks leigh

I am guessing the customer didn't follow instructions in handbook on changing battery using a "code saver" or similar, also there can be extra issues re vehicles with "stop/start" set up.
Normally I suspect a good diagnostic tool such as Snap On Zeus or similar needed to run the "proxi alignment " program so the ECU and BCM can find the items not recognised due to disconnection of battery. Of course I am assuming no wires left off when fitting battery;).
Around that age of vehicle there is also an extra Security ""Security GateWay" Module (SGW)." which may cause a problem for older diagnostic tools.

I am guessing the customer didn't follow instructions in handbook on changing battery using a "code saver" or similar, also there can be extra issues re vehicles with "stop/start" set up.
Normally I suspect a good diagnostic tool such as Snap On Zeus or similar needed to run the "proxi alignment " program so the ECU and BCM can find the items not recognised due to disconnection of battery. Of course I am assuming no wires left off when fitting battery;).
Around that age of vehicle there is also an extra Security ""Security GateWay" Module (SGW)." which may cause a problem for older diagnostic tools.
I also have a 2018 2,3 and have neither seen any such instructions nor had any problems after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. (Apart from the obvious need to set date/time and radio presets, that I dont consider a problem).

SGW was introduced some years later.

I also have a 2018 2,3 and have neither seen any such instructions nor had any problems after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. (Apart from the obvious need to set date/time and radio presets, that I dont consider a problem).

SGW was introduced some years later.

Really? Check Gendans website ** Important - 2018+ model year coverage: **​

Please note - some vehicles from the 2018 model year onwards (sold since mid-2017) , will have a "Security GateWay" Module (SGW). The SGW module limits diagnostic communication to read-only access, unless the tool can obtain a session-specific access code from Fiat group's servers (which requires an expensive subscription).

This limitation blocks tools from executing commands on the vehicle (e.g. actuations, procedures and even clearing of DTCs).
However, the current generation of SGW can be bypassed, by unplugging the SGW from the car, and connecting an SGW Bypass Adaptor (available separately) in its place.
Vehicles known to be affected so far include MY2018 500X/Renegade, 500L MCA, Doblo, Giulia/Stelvio.
Really ?

Last edited:

Really? Check Gendans website ** Important - 2018+ model year coverage: **​

Please note - some vehicles from the 2018 model year onwards (sold since mid-2017) , will have a "Security GateWay" Module (SGW). The SGW module limits diagnostic communication to read-only access, unless the tool can obtain a session-specific access code from Fiat group's servers (which requires an expensive subscription).

This limitation blocks tools from executing commands on the vehicle (e.g. actuations, procedures and even clearing of DTCs).
However, the current generation of SGW can be bypassed, by unplugging the SGW from the car, and connecting an SGW Bypass Adaptor (available separately) in its place.
Vehicles known to be affected so far include MY2018 500X/Renegade, 500L MCA, Doblo, Giulia/Stelvio.
Really ?
Yes, really.

Beginning of text says some vehicles. End of text lists a number vehicles but not Ducato.
My (and others) practical experience also confirms this.

You are supposed to shut all doors and wait a minute before disconnecting the battery
This is to give the computer time to shut down
Otherwise its like pulling the plug on a home PC
Usually you will get away with it, but if you are unlucky it will crash and freeze.
Like a home PC you might get it going again by disconnecting the battery properly as above, waiting a few minutes, then reconnecting again.

As varesecrazy says check every fuse, a blown fuse can also do all sorts of funny things.

Yes, really.

Beginning of text says some vehicles. End of text lists a number vehicles but not Ducato.
My (and others) practical experience also confirms this.
I bow to your greater practical experience.
Since I retired around that time from over fifty five years of working full time in the motor trade, servicing and repairing almost all makes including Fiat Ducato and Iveco Daily etc. and knowing how hard some manufacturers especially Iveco made it when trying to obtain effective diagnostic tools, then on reading the Gendan website detail, I mistakenly thought there was some correlation.:)

Back