Technical Wiring issues, Pull my hair out

Currently reading:
Technical Wiring issues, Pull my hair out

Dutcho

I've a Ducato 2003 Camper van that has suddenly aquired issues ! When puting right hand indicator on the dipped beam and dash flash with it. Head lamps do not come on by them selves now.

I've changed the stalk for a donor one and also the engine bay relay box and still the same.

Short of wiring them out and putting them on a switch in the cab I'm kinda stuck and am reaching out for your vast knowledge.

Cheers

I've a Ducato 2003 Camper van that has suddenly aquired issues ! When puting right hand indicator on the dipped beam and dash flash with it. Head lamps do not come on by them selves now.

I've changed the stalk for a donor one and also the engine bay relay box and still the same.

Short of wiring them out and putting them on a switch in the cab I'm kinda stuck and am reaching out for your vast knowledge.

Cheers
Hi Dutcho,

Welcome to the forum. So that any help given is relative to your vehicle, please confirm either x230, or x244 model. This can be found from first three numbers of VIN. Also x230 has reverse below fifth, while on the x244 reverse is to the left of first.

Hi Dutcho,

Welcome to the forum. So that any help given is relative to your vehicle, please confirm either x230, or x244 model. This can be found from first three numbers of VIN. Also x230 has reverse below fifth, while on the x244 reverse is to the left of first.
Hi thanks for the Reply the VIN says its a 244

Cheers

Hi Dutcho,

On the x244, the common factor is the "Switch Control Panel", H090, which sits behind the auxiliary switch panel. It contains some obscure logic which is not shown on wiring diagrams, and generates the hazard and direction indicator flashing.

One of the obscure pieces of logic, is that fuse F24 is required before dipped beam will illuminate. This does not appear on standard eLearn diagrams.

I think for elimination, it would be worth checking fuse F24 in the LH cab fusebox, B002. (Confusingly there is another F24 in the engine bay fusebox, B100.
Also worth checking the earth point C015, behind the lower dash, on the LH "A" pillar. This seems to be the reference earth for the switch control panel.

There does not seem to be any published info regarding the switch control panel, so I will attach my own wiring table, which I have constructed with reference to Fiat eLearn. Annoted copies of dipped beam, E2011, and direction indicators E2020, with my layout of the LH Cab fusebox, and colour codes

Attachments

• H090 Switch Control Panel.pdf
    78.8 KB · Views: 25
  • eLearn E2011 Dip Beam.pdf
    69.4 KB · Views: 15
  • eLearn E2020 Direction Indicators.pdf
    74.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Fusebox B002 Cab LH.pdf
    194.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Fiat Wiring Colour Codes.pdf
    70.1 KB · Views: 35
Hi Dutcho,

On the x244, the common factor is the "Switch Control Panel", H090, which sits behind the auxiliary switch panel. It contains some obscure logic which is not shown on wiring diagrams, and generates the hazard and direction indicator flashing.

One of the obscure pieces of logic, is that fuse F24 is required before dipped beam will illuminate. This does not appear on standard eLearn diagrams.

I think for elimination, it would be worth checking fuse F24 in the LH cab fusebox, B002. (Confusingly there is another F24 in the engine bay fusebox, B100.
Also worth checking the earth point C015, behind the lower dash, on the LH "A" pillar. This seems to be the reference earth for the switch control panel.

There does not seem to be any published info regarding the switch control panel, so I will attach my own wiring table, which I have constructed with reference to Fiat eLearn. Annoted copies of dipped beam, E2011, and direction indicators E2020, with my layout of the LH Cab fusebox, and colour codes
Thanks for the information I'll work through youre advice tomorrow.

Cheers

Dont know if this helps but the reg lights dont come on with side lights but flash also when RH indicator comes on, it's a weird thing

Also trace and check the earth from the headlamp itself.
Check the earths at the rear lights too, in view of the reg light issue.

A few years ago, was followed through a series of traffic lights, by a Ducato. Every time he brakes, his sidelights came on. Being in front of him, he was surprised when I hopped out and suggested he check the earths at the rear lights. Current to the brake lights had no earth, so fed back into the tail light circuit, and so through to the front sidelights, illuminating them as the earth path was found.

Dont know if this helps but the reg lights dont come on with side lights but flash also when RH indicator comes on, it's a weird thing
Yes, the number plate light is supplied via F24. They should come on with the sidelights, but if F24 faulty..... Annoted copy of eLearn diagram for sidelights attached.

Attachments

• eLearn E2010 Side & Rear Lights.pdf
    88.1 KB · Views: 23
So, I've had a quick play, all Fuses intact in lH Cab box but while I've had the whole thing out with the glove box missing i've played with a multi plug and have dipped beam ect on its own. I do now have the rh indicator playing up which deffo looks like an earth as the relay wont click just illuminates the indicator, side lights also seem to put rh indicator on now.
I;m thhinking there may be an issue with rear combi causing this as wiring there looks like its been butchers for a tow bar in the past.

I'll wait till friday when I finish work earlier and have more day light.

Hi

Just to underline the advice above, the Ducato (as with many other vehicles) uses just a single earth for each rear cluster, carrying the current from all the bulbs. If this earth connection goes high resistance or drops off completely, you get interaction between the different light systems as some or all of the earth current flows "backwards" through them instead of the proper path.

I suggest you work your way through the cluster earth on each side, looking for any corrosion/tarnish/discolouration of the multiway connector pins and the health of the earth wire (usually black insulated) and the bolted earth connection.

So here's where I'm at, I've checked the rear combis and all wiring looks fine and dandy.

Weird thing, I've rebuilt the dash checking any earth or multi plug on the way, all seems well.

I've come back to the hazard switch unit and if I leave the centre plug out of it all works perfect!

So can anyone tell me what this connection is used for as that will ultimately lead me to the cause.

Mind with this disconnected lights are fine.

Attachments

• 20240223_161241.jpg
    20240223_161241.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
For starters see file "H090 Switch Control Panel" attached at post #4 above. Then perhaps tear some more hair out.

I only list 4 off plugs A, B, C, & D. How can there be a centre plug?

For more wiring info see 4cardata linked below.

4cardata

Last edited:
Its too cold now, everything seems to work apart from the window switches flash but I can live with that till its warmer lol

Its too cold now, everything seems to work apart from the window switches flash but I can live with that till its warmer lol
Are you reffering to the window switch illumination? You do not seem to have mentioned these in any previous post.
Window switch illumination LEDs are also supplied from F24, via Switch Control Panel. Diagram attached.

Attachments

• eLearn E3050 Electric Windows.pdf
    87.5 KB · Views: 18
Hi Dutcho,

This may seem an obscure answer but over the years I have traded many camper vans and found
wiring looms have been damaged by rats and mice dining on the loom plastics. This happens in the
storage months over winter. Check the loom please. I hope you find the source of the problem.

Back