General Cab battery?

Currently reading:
General Cab battery?

Ronnie63

It looks like our x230 2.0jtd cab battery is failing! lots of brands and prices but just wondered if anyone can recommend a decent replacement? Currently fitted with a halfords battery which is smaller than the tray

Thanks Ronnie

It looks like our x230 2.0jtd cab battery is failing! lots of brands and prices but just wondered if anyone can recommend a decent replacement? Currently fitted with a halfords battery which is smaller than the tray

Thanks Ronnie
Cab battery on an x230???

I thought that it was under the bonnet, as in my x244, which is a "face lifted" x230. The term starter battery is unambiguous, particularly as my x244 PVC has two habitation batteries under the cab seats.

The battery tray on the x230/x244 models will accomodate a "019" physical size of battery., but an 019 battery will be heavier than you existing battery, which was probably suitable for the 2 litre engine. The Ah capacity will not vary much between different makes, for the same physical size of battery. My technique is to shortlist by capacity, and then rank according to CCA rating, guarantee period, and price.

If you wish to pay top dollar, then Yuasa seem to be popular brand, as are Varta. Bosch seem to offer the same battery as Varta at a higher price. If buying these brands Tanya batteries are a popular distributor, also consider Alpha batteries, Battery Megastore etc. At the other end of the price scale ABS batteries own brand is worth a look. I using a second one on my lawn tractor, and have two of their Advanced XD27 dual purpose batteries in the habitation role, also fitted one of their starter betteries to our Saab 9-3 about 6 months ago. Time will tell.

The current starter battery in my 2.8jtd is a Varta H3, chosen for CCA rating, but this is now exceeded by some ABS offerings.

Cab battery on an x230???

I thought that it was under the bonnet, as in my x244, which is a "face lifted" x230. The term starter battery is unambiguous,
Terminology or even Nomenclature a wonderful area of confussion.
Motorhomers seem to have their own. like Cab and Hab for LB and SB (more generally more used in campervans.) Lesuire and Starter battery. I was once castigated / chastised for asking what an EB was : Engine Battery . Even more adverse comment when i suggested SB as they had never seen that term.
Edit I recently bought from Tayna a Yuasa battery. Best batteries made in Wales (Ebbw Vale)

Last edited:
Yes under bonnet tray, I say cab battery to determine from hab battery, so I was thinking 100AH 900CCA then in a 019 size or is that overkill?

It looks like previous owner had it in Halfords for a new battery, starter motor and earthing straps etc, but I have no receipt to say when this was done and I have had it over 3 years

Thanks Ronnie

Terminology or even Nomenclature a wonderful area of confussion.
Motorhomers seem to have their own. like Cab and Hab for LB and SB (more generally more used in campervans.) Lesuire and Starter battery. I was once castigated / chastised for asking what an EB was : Engine Battery . Even more adverse comment when i suggested SB as they had never seen that term.
Edit I recently bought from Tayna a Yuasa battery. Best batteries made in Wales (Ebbw Vale)
I have always thought similar to you that Yuasa batteries were amongst the best. Unfortunately 2 years ago I had a Yuasa fail after a few months, its replacement has been top notch though.
Also purchased two Exides over the last few years, one good, the other is a bit marginal but still going. Perhaps those brands are not so good as they used to be?
On the other end of the perceived quality scale I purchased a proline battery for a ride on mower / winch and it’s been top notch despite having a hard life with the winch.
Never had a problem with any Varta I’ve had but luck of the draw nowadays perhaps.

Just replaced mine (on a 2016 Ducato) with a Yuasa 100 Ah 900CCA one from Tanya batteries. It is wee bit higher capacity than the original one I replaced. I thought 8 years was fairly good for the original

Yes under bonnet tray, I say cab battery to determine from hab battery, so I was thinking 100AH 900CCA then in a 019 size or is that overkill?

It looks like previous owner had it in Halfords for a new battery, starter motor and earthing straps etc, but I have no receipt to say when this was done and I have had it over 3 years

Thanks Ronnie
I am a large battery fan, so 900 CCA is not overkill for me, but do bear in mind that you have to get it into position. It is not a straight lift on the x230/x244. I slid mine into position with the aid of a scrap piece of timber floorboard. Plywood about 12mm thick may be better.

Another battery to consider is the Exide EA1000, from Tanya. The EA1000 is from Exide's Premier range which uses "carbon boost" tecnnology, claiming faster recharge, and longer life. Possibly cheaper if you shop around.

Last edited:
Just replaced mine (on a 2016 Ducato) with a Yuasa 100 Ah 900CCA one from Tanya batteries. It is wee bit higher capacity than the original one I replaced. I thought 8 years was fairly good for the original
My 2.8jtd x244 was first registered September 2006. Original battery was replaced in August 2017, with Varta H3. That's 11 years, but as a precaution, I would suggest 10 years maximum.

I am a large battery fan, so 900 CCA is not overkill for me, but do bear in mind that you have to get it into position. It is not a straight lift on the x230/x244. I slid mine into position with the aid of a scrap piece of timber floorboard. Plywood about 12mm thick may be better.

Another battery to consider is the Exide EA1000, from Tanya. The EA1000 is from Exide's Premier range which uses "carbon boost" tecnnology, claiming faster recharge, and longer life. Possibly cheaper if you shop around.
Good shout on the Exide, have seen them for £89 just need to confirm mine is goosed, it has the inspection hole glass indicator but I can't look in with the battery fitted, might need to use a mirror

Back