Technical Series 8 cab instrument cluster

Currently reading:
Technical Series 8 cab instrument cluster

CamperDoctor

I’ve got an Auto-Trail v-line 635 SE based on the Fiat Ducato series 8 cab. Auto-Trail in their infinite wisdom spec the Fiat platform about as low as possible. I’m exploring options to understand how difficult it would be to upgrade Some components to their higher spec equivalent. The first areas of my attention are the instrument cluster - can I swap out the current analogue/digital Custer to the fully digital Custer. Coupled with this is an upgrade of the Xzenec sav nav/audio head unit to the Fiat 10” unit.

Has anybody tried performing this upgrade?
From initial investigations the two components are linked (you need to change both). The digital instrument cluster is (it would appear) connected in via the same harness (which feels amazing if true). But it depends on data exchanges with the head unit to function.

I am not familiar with the displays to which the OP is referring, but I advise thinking very carefully before replacing an analogue display, with a digital version.
The position of an analogue pointer can be rapidly noted, and interpolated if necessary. A digital presentation has to be read.

As an aside, even an analogue presentation can be too precise. A case in point is the fuel gauge on our Skoda Fabia. As I recall, it divides the scale into sixteenths. Very difficult to interpret when driving. Quarters could be more easily interpolated to eighths, which is probably close enough when driving.

I am not familiar with the displays to which the OP is referring, but I advise thinking very carefully before replacing an analogue display, with a digital version.
The position of an analogue pointer can be rapidly noted, and interpolated if necessary. A digital presentation has to be read.

As an aside, even an analogue presentation can be too precise. A case in point is the fuel gauge on our Skoda Fabia. As I recall, it divides the scale into sixteenths. Very difficult to interpret when driving. Quarters could be more easily interpolated to eighths, which is probably close enough when driving.
Thanks for the advice. I’m happy the reading on the digital display will meet my needs in terms of a numerical readout as well as traditional analogue appearance for speed.
The main reason for wanting to upgrade the instrument cluster and head unit is to try to add in some of the more useful features such as: blind-spot monitoring, automatic headlights, rain sensitive wipers, turn by turn notifications in the instrument cluster.
I know/assume most of this work will require some configuration changes to certain control units within the vehicle.

Back