General Fiat Seincento 1.1 sporting Clutch cable

Currently reading:
General Fiat Seincento 1.1 sporting Clutch cable

Baz69

Hi,

I'm sure this has been mentioned over the years, but I'm just curious to all the owners of the Fiat Seincento, I have had my one for just over 7 years now & it has been one of the best little cars I have owned & this is my third one, I've had the mk 1 Fiat Uno turbo & many mk 1 Pandas etc. so I'm pretty hooked on Fiats, but one thing that bothers me is the clutch cable snapping, the original one that was in the car when I bought it lasted about 4 years & it has just broke again a few days ago, so the second one lasted about 3 years, the cable itself is cheap as chips but what a pig of a job it is to fit, the second time it broke I man handled the small storage box & broke it away in anger & this has made life more easy to fit the cable, I always now keep a spare cable ready for that fateful day when it goes again & have mastered changing gears without a clutch , I have read a few stories on various sites that when the cable keeps snapping its an indication there's a problem with the clutch, release bearing etc., causing extra force to engage the the clutch, my clutch pedal has always been pretty light so I don't think this is the problem & I'm going to go for the other stories of a poor design of the cable itself, its not frayed in anyway, but just snaps on the hooked end that is attached inside the bulkhead by a circlip, would be interested to hear from anyone else that may have solved the problem or like me just lived with it......

Cheers

Baz

Pandas were similar.. :eek:

The fix : lubricate the cable fully before fitting

Unfortunately the cars were designed for LHD.. where the cable was a straight run ;)

Later FIATS had cable LHD..hydraulic RHD

3 years sounds good.. but obviously that might mean 500 miles a year

Our 1986 immaculate panda wanted a cable annually.. I hadnt heard the thorough oiling tip back then :(
no internet: no FiatForum

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, but I don't think oiling will make any difference, the old cable that snapped was still working freely.......

Cheers

Baz

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the link, there is obviously a problem with his actual clutch if he's had 4 clutch cables snap in 0ver 4 months & exactly where mine have failed, but I'm on my 2nd clutch cable in 7 years & to me my clutch pedal is not stiff at all, so I would say the design is not the greatest & will not last if your clutch is hard to press down, I'm certainly not going to have a new clutch fitted & as the part is only £3.00 I'm going to have to just put up with it.......

Cheers

Baz

Back