Technical Fiat Scudo 2.0 JTD 2003 WILL NOT START!

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Scudo 2.0 JTD 2003 WILL NOT START!

colsavage

Hi,

Hoping somebody may be able to help me,

I have purchased a scudo on Thursday I ran around in for all day with no problems, when I got up to it on Friday it refused to start! just keeps turning and turning will not even start with "easy start". I noticed one of the injectors was leaking so I have replaced all collars and copper seals this solved the leak.
I then brought a new battery, fitted a new crank sensor, checked that I have fuel going to the filter then checked I have fuel going to the injectors,
I have had it plugged in to the computer which brought up no codes at all,
the only way I can get it to start is by having it dragged and bumping it, when it starts I can not rev it and as soon as I dip the clutch it is stalling

I am starting to think there is no hope,

Cheers

Only way I can keep it running is by dragging it with another van :(

I have just taken one of the injectors to test it by turning the van over with injector out and I have no fuel coming from the injector... knackered injector?

yes I have disconnected the pipe from the filter turn ignition on and filled a cup with diesel,

could it be a issue with the fuel rail relief valve? not sure how I would check this though

Still no luck with this guys any ideas would be great!

replaced the fuel rail relief valve this morning still no luck.
changed all injectors and still no more luck.

took it for another tow still not letting me rev when its bumped just cuts out through lack of revs also doesn't idle just cuts out, sounds a lot like lack of fuel but fuel is getting right up to the injectors.......

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Far from being an expert, but if fuel is getting to injectors and assuming its common rail then the timing pulses sent to injectors might be off...ECU mapping? Or perhaps valve timing is out...take it cam belt has been set up correct?

Ditto this is my first diesel!
it is common rail, changed the relief valve today still wont start.

cam belt hasn't been touched since it was running and it didn't cut out on me it was running fine then just wouldn't start the next day,

how do I check if pulse timing is correct?

cheers Andy!

My 2002 Scudo 1.9 had a intermittent starting issue, it would run great for a few days & then for no reason refuse to start.

I noticed when it wouldn't start, there was no fuel pump clicking noise you hear when you turn on the ignition for the glow plugs to warm up. I think it was some sort of timing solenoid not kicking in which seemed to be activated by a relay on the left wing beside the ECU.

What I used to do was leave the ignition lights on, then disconnect the negative lead on the battery. I'd tip the lead against the battery terminal till I heard the solenoid making it's clicking noise, obviously it won't work if the ignition lights are off as you're not creating a circuit but this seemed to spark the relay into life. I'd connect & tighten the battery lead & the van would start immediately.

This may or may not be your problem but if you don't hear any clicking noise when you turn on the ignition lights, the engine will turn over but won't start & towing or using easy-start will not work.

Let me know if this helped or you were able to solve the problem.

Last edited:
The clicking noise I mentioned when starting your van is the Advanced timing solenoid & not the fuel pump as first advised.

Hi Steo,

Just tried both of them tips you gave me and still no start thanks though

I suppose looking on the Brightside atleast I know where everything is on my van now as this is my first diesel.

ill give an update as soon as I find what the problem was!

Hi Steo,

Just tried both of them tips you gave me and still no start thanks though

I suppose looking on the bright side at least I know where everything is on my van now as this is my first diesel.

ill give an update as soon as I find what the problem was!

When you were towing it with the other van, did you notice much smoke coming from the exhaust? If there was a lot of smoke, it could be the injector pump.
After reading your previous comments again from head to toe, the only plausible explanation I can see is a bad IP.
Fuel is getting to the filter but not to the injectors. Even if the injectors were bad, the van should at be least running with a good pump.

I know these forums can be a bit hit & miss with folks just guessing when what you need is the right person to give you that vital bit of info. There's a moderator on here called T14086, he seems to know these vans inside out, might be worth your while sending him a PM of directing him to your posts.

Best of luck, Stephen.

Hi,

I am getting fuel to the injectors tested the fuel pressure after the IP between that and the fuel rail and that is 4 Bar? according to this bit of software I've got it should be between 2 -5 bar. I have just taken the injectors out again and they all have diesel on the ends so that means that they are working?

and when I am towing the van this is no smoke at all or any smoke while cranking engine.

really stuck now everything seems to work as it should be it will not start!!!! Bangs Head

could it be the cam shaft position sensor?

what systems would I get if it was this?

Cam sensor - not sure..,

the CAS ( Crank Angle Sensor)doesn't leave a fault code - so always worth a try,

BUT I'm unsure of the rail pressures you've quoted..??

Charlie

just tried changing cam sensor still no start!

I am not sure of pressure either I cannot find what they should be only what is typical of a diesel engine ( apparently )

:(

just tried changing cam sensor still no start!

I am not sure of pressure either I cannot find what they should be only what is typical of a diesel engine ( apparently )

:(
Just remembered a hard starting Peugeot Expert I had, (rebadged Scudo) might be a bit of a long shot but is there any chance your catalytic converter is blocked? You could try disconnecting the downpipe going into the cat & see if it makes a difference.

just disconnected the cat and still no start

doing a full circle again does anyone know at what voltage the injectors operate?

Back