General Fiat Punto Evo common problems

Currently reading:
General Fiat Punto Evo common problems

Flat

Hey guys, my first time posting on this forum. I was thinking about buying a Fiat Punto Evo Sporting 1.4 MultiAir. I was just wondering, what are the common problems with the car?
Also, if I was to buy one of these cars, what should I look out for since I have never bought a car before?

Rear brake calipers are very cheap and nasty on the sporting (i had one) look out for seized callipers.

The rest of the running gear and electronics are actually pretty good, as with any car make sure everything works as it should, you want ice cold aircon, anything less than that could be a leak or need a re-gas. The dash can sometimes have lights on very low when they shouldn’t be. Hard to see in daylight but a good bargaining point.

Multiair engine is based on every 1.4l engine that fiat have made for decades, the only issue is the multiair part, very fussy about having the right oil, has its own tiny little oil filter/strainer that should be replaced (see if there are any records of this little multiair filter being replaced) Even then on this engine the multiair unit at 100k miles or so can be known to fail not really something you can predict but a good service history is essential.

Also look over the general condition of the car. The Punto was/is a cheap car and they were not always looked after very well by owners. Kerbed wheels scratches, dents, broken trim inside or outside the car all signs of a hard life.

Also 205/45/17 inch wheels/tires can be expensive, worth making sure its got good tires or using it as a bargaining point if its been fitted with cheep non-brand hedge speakers.

Listen for a clonk..or Boing..sound as you turn steering at setting off speed

How old is the timing belt.. its a £300/£400 job

Count clicks on handbrake.. good indication of servicing :)

Again check all electrics.. and dashboard aircon ( the flaps are driven by motors..expensive to repair)

Listen for a clonk..or Boing..sound as you turn steering at setting off speed

How old is the timing belt.. its a £300/£400 job

Count clicks on handbrake.. good indication of servicing :)

Again check all electrics.. and dashboard aircon ( the flaps are driven by motors..expensive to repair)
Clonk when turning hard left at slow speed in first gear, it is worring? ☹️

I have issues on my 1.4 multiair turbo with my rear brake calipers, do I service them or replace them?

I have issues on my 1.4 multiair turbo with my rear brake calipers, do I service them or replace them?
Hi, 🙂

That depends on the problem 🤔

Handbrake..?
Or the Sliding Piston (hydraulics)?

The Stilo section probably has the most Caliper rebuild and repair information

Look at the thread by member
@Dilirium

(just click on their username)
SEARCH on here is pretty good 😉

Last edited:
Boing sound when turning steering even stationery, suspect as trut top mounts....

A clunkety clunkety noise when turning full lock at car park speeds, suspect CV joint/s...

Since you are asking, your no really knowledgeable to rectify these possible problems your self....but we all had to start somewhere...

You have good tools/kit and working space ?

Hey guys, my first time posting on this forum. I was thinking about buying a Fiat Punto Evo Sporting 1.4 MultiAir. I was just wondering, what are the common problems with the car?
Also, if I was to buy one of these cars, what should I look out for since I have never bought a car before?
We’ve had one for a year now and had an ongoing stop start issue, we’ve replaced the battery and multiple sensors and the problem is still there. After spending nearly a grand on the issue it’s still not solved. Plus the clutch went last week so another £400 spent. I have no confidence in this particular car anymore.

We’ve had one for a year now and had an ongoing stop start issue, we’ve replaced the battery and multiple sensors and the problem is still there. After spending nearly a grand on the issue it’s still not solved. Plus the clutch went last week so another £400 spent. I have no confidence in this particular car anymore.
Did it still do it after the new earth cable?

new earth cable? Could this be the golden egg I’ve been looking for? I’ll dig into this for sure!

It’s been on the drive for a while as I’ve had other commitments, it’s now in the garage having a new clutch so I’ll definitely look into getting a new one. Cheers matey 👍🏻👍🏻

Back