Technical Fiat Punto 1.2 (2002)Hotwire start problem

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Punto 1.2 (2002)Hotwire start problem

When I took the photos..that show the petrol gauge and lights etc...
at one point ..some of the lights were on and then they went off...

so I had to try and take more than one photo to show the difference..

If I recall on the petrol gauge as shown in the photos... at the bottom of the petrol gauge there is orange or yellow light...BELOW the " E "(Empty )

you can see in the top photo ... that light does not appear , but it does in the lower photo...

Asfar as I was aware there was some petrol in the car at the time that I had sorned it and taken it to where it is now...on private land...and the car has never been started or driven to use any petrol since or since it got damaged ...

I will try to open the petrol cap next time I go to the car and try to push in some flexible long item that will feed into the bottom of the petrol tank to try and get some idea how much fuel is still in the tank if that is possible for me to try..

Yes, the starter motor would crank the engine even if without petrol.I aslked about this because in your picture, your gauge is at 0, but the low fuel level light is not ON. That's strange

Thanks for confirming that the car will crank the engine ......even without petrol getting to the engine...

Yes, the starter motor would crank the engine even if without petrol

https://i.postimg.cc/4dYgwbR4/Various-lights-that-show-on-visual-gauge-screen.png

Various-lights-that-show-on-visual-gauge-screen.png

The KeyCode seems to be OK. It lights up when you turn the ignition, while is checking your key. And turns off if everything is OK.
I don't think your problem is going to be the KEYCODE immobilizer system.

Yes, the starter motor would crank the engine even if without petrol.
I aslked about this because in your picture, your gauge is at 0, but the low fuel level light is not ON. That's strange.

Last edited:
Hi Andy,

I note what you say and most things you say had been mentioned in the thread as far as I recall.... in which I gave some of my reasons as to why I was trying to hold onto it and at least initially try to get the car to start...

I surpose I had a bit of a love affair with it from its past and just did not like to let it go if I thought that I could try to get it repaired again..

I often have bought old cars as run arounds between 300 to 1000 GBPs..

to get another run around would probably cost me 500 GBPs (car alone without extra costs tax / ins etc)

I thought that maybe I could get it back running for 500 gbps or less..

which unfortunately so far I have not been able to do...

and may well have to soon consider what you suggest...if I cam unable to get it starting by end of this month...

Have skimmed this post and wondering to myself why you've not scrapped it.

The car as pointed out is very old now ~17 years and the car has been vanadalised, you didn't mention how they got in but it would be unusual to be able to damage the ignition without damaging the locks or windows in some way.

Its been standing for a long while so is likely damp, its also an old italian car living in the UK meaning that its only a matter of time before nature turns it back into iron ore that it was once made from seriously if its not already significantly corroded underneath I'd be amazed.

While you feel the engine is worth £100 and it might be, the car its self has to be stored, will need to be repaired will need taxing and MOTing at some point in the future and again if its stood its likely that MOT bill will be enormous. If you have the means to take the engine out and sell it yourself by all means do so but if you do not then its pointless saying its worth £100 if you have to pay someone £100 or more to take it out.

This car is a money pit and is only going to keep costing a fortune, money which you say you simply don't have at all at the moment. Scrap it !!

Also This car in the condition it is and Sorn cannot in any way be driven anywhere on the roads. It is totally illegal for it to set a wheel on the highway and who knows what other problems it may have making it dangerous on the roads (like seized brakes) If you can't afford the car then you can't afford the fines if you get caught, can you afford repairs to someone elses car if you have an accident??

Scrap it and do the world a favour.

You are then free to focus on getting back into work or sorting what ever is holding you back at the moment, then once back on your feet you can buy a newer car for a couple of hundred quid with an MOT on it.

Scrap it, Scrap it, Scrap it and stop wasting your time on it.

Hi Davren,

I note what you say about the battery....

but initially I did think that It still had enough charge or power to at least get the engine to start for now.....

In a prior post I also had asked you about another thread thatI came across that you had posted ...as I indicate below

I wonder if you could confirm if this could still apply to my punto if I wanted to remove the ignition...or if I was to to try and replace some of its wires etc..

https://www.fiatforum.com/uno/243808...h-removal.html
=================

In ref to my ignition lock / wiring concerns..

I cannot seem to be able to find a easy way to remove or disconnect the two front wires on the ignition lock.while in their present positon... and was wondering if maybe
I should try to remove the ignition lock completely..if I may then be able to find or se how to remove or pull out those two wires ..to get a better look at things..

One mechanic had suggested / recommended that I replace part or maybe all of it...

on doing a quick online search I came across a thread that you replied to on Fiat Forum...

but it seems maybe more involved that I had expected if I may need to break or shear the bolts or screws holding it in position..

would you say you reply also referrs to my Punto ?

Battery seems to be a recurring theme here. An old battery that has been discharged for a long time will never fully recover.

You can not fully test a battery with just a voltmeter, you need a high rate discharge tester to test it with. A new battery is less expensive than a high rate discharge tester. ;)

@Puntog

I must admit to not having read the whole thread, but what you NEED to do is get decent diagnostics on the car to see what the various computers on the car "think" is going on. The security system is not in one box, it is in several modules and they must all have access to the validation data for the car to start. This is an electronic system, disconnecting, jumpering or shorting around modules like the "fuse box", actually the body computer, is likely to cause damage. It is quite possible you have more than one fault now.
You cannot "hot-wire" this car.

For diagnostics I highly recommend Multiecuscan (MES) www.multiecuscan.net
You also need a Elm327 usb interface and a laptop.
An interface that works is

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/compatible-Fiat-Alfa-Lancia-diagnostic-ELM-327-OBD2-interface-fits-Multiecuscan/281166266540?

You cannot keep the car on the road or in a public car park unless it is taxed and insured. It has to be on private land. This has always been the case in the UK. If the police or the DLVA don't give you a ticket your local council is likely to tow it away and crush it.

Robert G8RPI.

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Hi Davren,
I wonder if you could confirm if this could still apply to my punto if I wanted to remove the ignition...or if I was to to try and replace some of its wires etc.

[/URL]

I'm not familiar with the Punto, but it's very likely to be the same method to remove the steering lock as I posted the the Uno thread you've quoted.

Can't help thinking that you are getting way too involved with this before you've accertained that the starter motor, battery and thier wiring are working correctly.

I have to agree with Davren, you are getting too involved in details.

This car's ignition and security system IS NOT LIKE OLDER CARS. You CANNOT bypass the security with wires. Do not remove the steering lock. A brief description of how the security works is :
1/ There is a code chip embedded in the key
2/ A coil near the lock enegises the code chip and the lock node (electronics unit) reads the code. It also (dependent on exact model) allows the lock mode to engage the starter when the key is turned.

3/ If the code is one of those programmed in the lock node it passes the code and the lock nodes own code to the body computer node.
4/ If the lock and key codes match those programmed in the body computer. it pases the key code and the body computer code to the Engine Control Unit (ECU).
5/ If they match the codes programmed in the ECU it enables igntion and fuel injection.
if any of these steps fail the car won't start. Apart from faulty units the communication (CAN) may cause problems and my be a different unit on the CAN bus. You might have a faulty instrument cluster for instance. Just losing the CAN configuration can be an issue (there is a process called Proxi-Alignment that will reset this). Or as Davren says you could have a bad battery or broken connection.

This is somewhat generalised, it depends on the exct model and electronics units fitted.

Note that the key, the lock node, body computer and ECU are ALL coded. The codes in lock node, body computer and ECU are progrmmed by the factory and must match. You can't swap individual units between cars. If you want to replace one of these you have to order it from Fiat with the security details of the car (some repair companies can clone a partially faulty unit for some items).
Making ad-hoc modifcations to the wiring is making things much more difficult to sort out.

Robert G8RPI.

This car's ignition and security system IS NOT LIKE OLDER CARS. You CANNOT bypass the security with wires. Do not remove the steering lock. A brief description of how the security works is :
2/ A coil near the lock enegises the code chip and the lock node (electronics unit) reads the code. It also (dependent on exact model) allows the lock mode to engage the starter when the key is turned.

3/ If the code is one of those programmed in the lock node it passes the code and the lock nodes own code to the body computer node.
4/ If the lock and key codes match those programmed in the body computer. it pases the key code and the body computer code to the Engine Control Unit (ECU).
5/ If they match the codes programmed in the ECU it enables igntion and fuel injection.
if any of these steps fail the car won't start. Apart from faulty units the communication (CAN) may cause problems and my be a different unit on the CAN bus. You might have a faulty instrument cluster for instance. Just losing the CAN configuration can be an issue (there is a process called Proxi-Alignment that will reset this). Or as Davren says you could have a bad battery or broken connection.

This is somewhat generalised, it depends on the exct model and electronics units fitted.

Note that the key, the lock node, body computer and ECU are ALL coded. The codes in lock node, body computer and ECU are progrmmed by the factory and must match. You can't swap individual units between cars. If you want to replace one of these you have to order it from Fiat with the security details of the car (some repair companies can clone a partially faulty unit for some items).
Making ad-hoc modifcations to the wiring is making things much more difficult to sort out.

Robert G8RPI.
The immobilizer seems to be working in his car.
The immobilizer light comes on, and goes off after 1 second, which is the normal behavior. If there was a problem, the light would remain on.
The engine cranks even without the code. I still think this could be a bad battery.

Thank you for your reply Robert G8RPI. ...I appreciate your comments and detailed description..

Reading your replies so far.... It gives me some new details and info that was not aware about and maybe if what you suggest is correct... it may now be unikely that I will be able to resolve my problems unless I am willing to spend a certain ammount of money that I may consider could become more expensive than I am willing to spend on the car if say I was unable to deal with the thing myself and if I have to pay a mechanic to do it for me... as I suspect the computer side of analysing a car to rectify such possible faults is likely to be probably more expensive compared to what repairing an old car back over 20 years ago may had cost me if I was trying to resolve a similar ignition or starting problem..

Its times like this when I wished that I just had an older type car that I was more used to dealing with....and probably could have a chance of dealing with it myself or with an associate...

but I now get the impression that since they brought in Computers... that most car owners are now at the frustrations of having to pay more to have their or any similar related problems resolved at the hand of the garages rather than self analysis and self repair..Also that some may see it also as a type of big brother having now decided all our cars are now protected and connected by computers in one way or another...as I assume at higher costs...

unless what you suggest using the online links that you refer to can be done by Mr Average at lower cost expence.. than a local mechanic would cost to resolve or analyse ones car..

I think I get the impression that you seem to be quite knowledgable in ref to the technical side to the Computer systems now used in more modern cars over the last 20 years.

If it is some how possible for me to access Multiecuscan and the Elm327 Interface... or get or find someone who may have access to it and who would be willing to maybe use it to take a look at my car with it... (Maybe one of the Mechanics local to me could do it cheaper than main garages ) then providing what it may cost to investigate... I may consider trying that approach...but I will have to consider if it would be worth doing based upon if its economical in ref to what I think it is worth to my present situation..

if what you describe can be obtained at low costs or mainly for free... (other than my time) and if I think its somethin that I could do... I think id be willing to give it go..

but I suspect that it will need someone who has a certain ammount of Higher level Technical knowledge or abilities such as a mechanic and is likely to cost a minimum of say 40 GBPs an hr.. that I did not really want to payout ..especially in the event that I still was unable to solve the problem as it would be added costs to what may still end up as just a car worth 80 to 100 GBP scrap value..

It is now concerning that my actions to mess around with the fusebox / computer / wire connetions etc may now have created further problems...
I did not realise that such actions may or could have created such further such concerns / issues ...

---------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------

I must admit to not having read the whole thread, but what you NEED to do is get decent diagnostics on the car to see what the various computers on the car "think" is going on. The security system is not in one box, it is in several modules and they must all have access to the validation data for the car to start. This is an electronic system, disconnecting, jumpering or shorting around modules like the "fuse box", actually the body computer, is likely to cause damage. It is quite possible you have more than one fault now.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/compatible-Fiat-Alfa-Lancia-diagnostic-ELM-327-OBD2-interface-fits-Multiecuscan/281166266540?

You cannot keep the car on the road or in a public car park unless it is taxed and insured. It has to be on private land. This has always been the case in the UK. If the police or the DLVA don't give you a ticket your local council is likely to tow it away and crush it.

Robert G8RPI.

---------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------

Your reply does seem to give me a good description as to how the Keycode computer system works compared to my prior basic understanding of how the older ignition starting systems worked...

Yes it does seem rather a much more complex system in todays more modern cars in comparision to the way the older cars could be analysed or ascessed and repaired or corrected in ref to getting the
ignition and starting system to become rectified and to get back working again...

For myself as much as I appreciate the security aspects on the cars modern computer systems.... It really does concern me just how now that to get ones car repaired or working again...
that it is no longer something any of us can do without having to involve using specilised equipment and having high technical knowledge..

I assume generally it is now much more expensive to resolve a cars damaged issues to do with ignition and starting problems compared to the older systems we had prior to computers came in..

but on average how the costs actually could compare... I am unsure...

or would you maybe disagree and say that there are still ways to rectify such problems as my present issues at a relatively low costs if you know how best to go about it and have access to
the required equipment to achive it such as laptop and software / interface etc...

-------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------

Robert G8RPI.

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Hi Robert,

I may take me a bit of time to read up and research the website links that you have given me.. which I thank you for and appreciate....as it may offer me some hope.

On a quick initial browse.. I note that there seems a FREE copy f Multiecuscan ..

Can I ask do you think that I may be OK using the free version to at least try to do some initial basic analysis...

and would that ebay ELM 327 item likely be compatable for my Fiat Punto as it seems to refer to a Fiat Alfa Lancia !

If I struggle to get a suitable laptop...(I dont have any local electric supplies near where the the car has been parked and my main laptop I use has a damaged battery...but I do have another laptop that maybe ok but I am not used to using it and I think its windows vista where as I am used to using Windows XP on my main laptop ).

I wonder if I can maybe use an I Phone....I note that the website has this message on it..

Multiecuscan 1.1 is now available on App Store for iPhone/iPad devices!

In ref to the other things that you refer to...Tax / Ins

Yes I am aware of those things...

Presently I am on a SORN and have the car on Private Land... that initially I thought that I had the right to park my car on... but have recenly been asked by the owners to remove my car..

But as it was Unfortunately damaged ...on that land... I am now unable to start the car due to the problems that I have described in the thread..

I have tried to find an alternative place to take it to to park it..nearby. and ideally wanted the get my car at least to start again and I am willing to drive it to a new location if I am able to park elsewhere somewhere...where I would drive it their when its most quite at night time maybe or early morning...

BUT I have also tried to ask my council for places that I could park ...as at one time they used to offer some guidence...when I had similar things occur in the past..
BUT NOW hey no longer will tell me other than tell me that I have to ask permision fron any private land owner or try to find someone who will letme park it on their drive way ... ie thse sort of things...

otherwise they said if someone reports it.. or they find it where is is not allowed to be on public land.. that they will tow it away or clamp it and fine me.. etc

seems there is little places anymore that some one can park a SORNED car without having to do a lot of messing around trying to find a suitable place...

If I am unable to resolve things soon... I may well have to give in and let the scrap yard take it away..:(

@Puntog

Robert G8RPI.

Last edited:
Thanks for your thoughts on if the thread reply you made may work with my Punto..

I was considering trying to take it off as I can not seem to find a way to remove what I thought was the KEYCODE section from the Ignition...

The Two front wires (that got cut from whee they go into the fusebox computer )on the ignition for example do not seem to be removable without cutting them off...
if that is part of the keycode...

I say this as one mechanic did suggest that I replaced the keycode section.. that I thought he was referring was on the ignition key barrel section ..

that I thought was inside what you see in the image below..inside the barrel itself ...

but I am not sure that its easy to remove as I can see two bolts but they dont sem to easy to get a suitable spanner on to undo the bolts..

BUT as I now seem to be advised NOT to remove anything further... at least until I have managed to get a Multiecusan scan done... then I will avoid doing this for now..

I may try to see if another local mechanic who I have spoken with if he maybe able to advise me or maybe offer me some guidence as what I maybe able to try if I cannot manage to deal with the scan myself..

ignition%20lock%20Doblo%20MK1.jpg

I'm not familiar with the Punto, but it's very likely to be the same method to remove the steering lock as I posted the the Uno thread you've quoted.

Can't help thinking that you are getting way too involved with this before you've accertained that the starter motor, battery and thier wiring are working correctly.

Hi Robert,

I may take me a bit of time to read up and research the website links that you have given me.. which I thank you for and appreciate....as it may offer me some hope.

On a quick initial browse.. I note that there seems a FREE copy f Multiecuscan ..

Can I ask do you think that I may be OK using the free version to at least try to do some initial basic analysis...

and would that ebay ELM 327 item likely be compatable for my Fiat Punto as it seems to refer to a Fiat Alfa Lancia !

If I struggle to get a suitable laptop...(I dont have any local electric supplies near where the the car has been parked and my main laptop I use has a damaged battery...but I do have another laptop that maybe ok but I am not used to using it and I think its windows vista where as I am used to using Windows XP on my main laptop ).

I wonder if I can maybe use an I Phone....I note that the website has this message on it..

Multiecuscan 1.1 is now available on App Store for iPhone/iPad devices!

In ref to the other things that you refer to...Tax / Ins

Yes I am aware of those things...

Presently I am on a SORN and have the car on Private Land... that initially I thought that I had the right to park my car on... but have recenly been asked by the owners to remove my car..

But as it was Unfortunately damaged ...on that land... I am now unable to start the car due to the problems that I have described in the thread..

I have tried to find an alternative place to take it to to park it..nearby. and ideally wanted the get my car at least to start again and I am willing to drive it to a new location if I am able to park elsewhere somewhere...where I would drive it their when its most quite at night time maybe or early morning...

BUT I have also tried to ask my council for places that I could park ...as at one time they used to offer some guidence...when I had similar things occur in the past..
BUT NOW hey no longer will tell me other than tell me that I have to ask permision fron any private land owner or try to find someone who will letme park it on their drive way ... ie thse sort of things...

otherwise they said if someone reports it.. or they find it where is is not allowed to be on public land.. that they will tow it away or clamp it and fine me.. etc

seems there is little places anymore that some one can park a SORNED car without having to do a lot of messing around trying to find a suitable place...

If I am unable to resolve things soon... I may well have to give in and let the scrap yard take it away..:(

Hi Yes, try the free version of multiecuscan first. The interface I listed will work with your Punto for this (And most other Fiats & Alfa Romeos.With different software it will work with many other cars too.)
MES will work with XP or any newer version of windows. I've not tried the Apple version as I don't use Apple computers.

Robert G8RPI

Sorry for the delay in replying... I have had some unexpected issues to deal with..

I am still unsure if I may be able to repair the wires to enable to Ignition switch to work or start the engine... and if not I can only see one other option to try somehow to replace that part if it was possible for me to do so..

but when I suggested or mentioned doing that ... I thought from the replies I had that I was advised not to do that ...

Otherwise I dont know if you can use or even do the scan unless the ignition is working in the 1st place... which sort of seems to become a catch 22 in what I was trying to achive or find out how to repair in the 1st place..

So would Robert agree with Judder that I need to sort that out 1st..?

Forget about diagnostics until you can operate the starter from the ignition switch.

The ignition switch should operate the starter motor even if the electronics are destroyed.

Fault find the starter problem first.

Hi Yes, try the free version of multiecuscan first. The interface I listed will work with your Punto for this (And most other Fiats & Alfa Romeos.With different software it will work with many other cars too.)
MES will work with XP or any newer version of windows. I've not tried the Apple version as I don't use Apple computers.

Robert G8RPI

Last edited:
I believe your ignition switch is working fine.
Easy way to test, when you turn the key, ignition on, but engine off.
If you go to the engine compartment, can you hear this sound from the throttle body:

Can you listen to the fuel pump working for like 3 seconds, when you turn the ignition ON, but engine off?
Lights and windows are working?

If so, your ignition switch is likely not the problem.

have you replaced the battery?

:)
I believe your ignition switch is working fine.
Easy way to test, when you turn the key, ignition on, but engine off.
If you go to the engine compartment, can you hear this sound from the throttle body: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdVaGUTXu8Y

Can you listen to the fuel pump working for like 3 seconds, when you turn the ignition ON, but engine off?
Lights and windows are working?

If so, your ignition switch is likely not the problem.

have you replaced the battery?

There was some method to getting the starter to work.

About 5 posters have commented this could be an earth problem. If the OP cannot work out why the starter does not work which ostensibly is an extremely simple thing to fault find then he has no hope of working thru more complex diagnostics. It is always best to keep things as simple as possible no matter how knowledgeable we might believe ourselves to be.

The OP is lost in a sea of complexity without looking at first things first.

ps. I dont think the OP's 8V car has the same kind of buzzing throttle as the 16V car has. Certainly many did not have that kind of throttle.

By the way I am 64 today which probably makes me old and cranky by most peoples standards here.

Last edited:
Back