General Fiat panda 1.3 multijet II Oil pressure flashing at start

Currently reading:
General Fiat panda 1.3 multijet II Oil pressure flashing at start

Luisc

Hi my dad panda started ocasionaly giving the low oil pressure at start and when i start the engine all disapear, i restarted and nothing wrong with it, worth mencion that i need to do the oil reset with mes , could be that the problem and i noticed a bad smell from exhaust but is not blueish nor white , seems the regeneration smell but only on cold engine when harm disapear.
Anyone have any idea what could be the issue?
Can i do a 100km to home? The light does not stay on .

Just noticed now, on the thread title, that it's the Mjet engine.
I had a similar issue with mine and it was the level not being at max. These engines seem to like allways having the oil at max level. Did you notice any strange noise at idle like if it was something loose inside and if you give it a lit bit of throtle it will go away that noise? How is the timing chain?
Has it ever been replaced?
I am asking these questions because they are symptoms that if ignored later on can have catastrophic results and engine failure.

Hi my dad panda started ocasionaly giving the low oil pressure at start and when i start the engine all disapear, i restarted and nothing wrong with it, worth mencion that i need to do the oil reset with mes , could be that the problem and i noticed a bad smell from exhaust but is not blueish nor white , seems the regeneration smell but only on cold engine when harm disapear.
Anyone have any idea what could be the issue?
Can i do a 100km to home? The light does not stay on .
I would do an oil and filter change, preferably after an engine flush, It could be that the oil has become too thin, then go from there. It’s not unknown for pressure switches to become overly sensitive

To add to the above: the MultiJet engine injects diesel into the exhaust stroke of the engine during the particulate trap regeneration process. This means that over time the oil becomes diluted by this diesel which finds its way to the sump. That is why the diesel Panda doesn't have a specific distance between oil changes - the system counts the number of times the particulate trap is regenerated and shows a warning (by flashing the red oil can light continuously) when the oil needs changing. Typically this happens between 30,000 and 40,000 km (18-24,000 miles), but it can be less if the car is used a lot in town. (Note: if the car reaches 2 years since the last change, it must be done anyway). After that oil change is done, you then must reset the oil degradation counter, which can only be done using MES, as it doesn't t know otherwise.

Also, it is important to use the correct oil, specifically labelled as being for a diesel engine. For cars made before 2017 (so to the Euro 5 standard), that is a 5W-30 oil. After 2018, they changed the oil specification for the Euro 6 engine to a 0W-30 oil meeting the C2 standard.

Last edited:
Just noticed now, on the thread title, that it's the Mjet engine.
I had a similar issue with mine and it was the level not being at max. These engines seem to like allways having the oil at max level. Did you notice any strange noise at idle like if it was something loose inside and if you give it a lit bit of throtle it will go away that noise? How is the timing chain?
Has it ever been replaced?
I am asking these questions because they are symptoms that if ignored later on can have catastrophic results and engine failure.
Yes indeed , i think is because of the oil reset and dpf reset , i will do in this week , the oil was on 2/3 and i put a bit more to be on top , the chain seems fine and the only noise i find is the enfine cover mount that is not properly tied.
Once i have done the oil change and resets i will let you know ;)

To add to the above: the MultiJet engine injects diesel into the exhaust stroke of the engine during the particulate trap regeneration process. This means that over time the oil becomes diluted by this diesel which finds its way to the sump. That is why the diesel Panda doesn't have a specific distance between oil changes - the system counts the number of times the particulate trap is regenerated and shows a warning (by flashing the red oil can light continuously) when the oil needs changing. Typically this happens between 30,000 and 40,000 km (18-24,000 miles), but it can be less if the car is used a lot in town. (Note: if the car reaches 2 years since the last change, it must be done anyway). After that oil change is done, you then must reset the oil degradation counter, which can only be done using MES, as it doesn't t know otherwise.

Also, it is important to use the correct oil, specifically labelled as being for a diesel engine. For cars made before 2017 (so to the Euro 5 standard), that is a 5W-30 oil. After 2018, they changed the oil specification for the Euro 6 engine to a 0W-30 oil meeting the C2 standard.
Thank you so much , very good stuff you mentioned , almost for sure is that the problem i will do oil flush and new filter and reset with mes .i will give updates. Best regards

Yes indeed , i think is because of the oil reset and dpf reset , i will do in this week , the oil was on 2/3 and i put a bit more to be on top , the chain seems fine and the only noise i find is the enfine cover mount that is not properly tied.
Once i have done the oil change and resets i will let you know ;)
Luís, how many kilometers is the panda? The FIAT manual does not mention replacing the timing chain, however it must be checked periodically. The problem is that the chain is lubricated by the oil in the crankcase and when you start the engine there are those initial moments when the chain works dry until the oil reaches the top. Over time, wear will occur on the chain and lead to looseness in the bearings and pulleys.

As I mentioned above, multijet engines like to always have the level at maximum to avoid this wear, if the level is not at maximum it is normal to give a warning of lack of oil pressure at the beginning of the journey, and this usually happens on a roundabout or curve in which the car tilts more to one side, due to centrifugal force.

Regarding the warning about the quality of the engine oil, this usually happens around 500 kilometers before completing the 30,000 kilometers between resets. According to the mechanic, this warning will not be related to oil degradation but rather as a reminder to change it, which is normally every 30K. I can tell you that I already had this warning less than 1000 kilometers after changing the oil and it happened because the reset was not done and it had nothing to do with the degradation of a new oil.

As a personal experrience, I had to change the Panda's engine due to a timing chain failure that damaged the oil pump inside and consequently broke a crankshaft connecting rod. If you need any more information about my case, you can send me a PM and I will explain it to you in Portuguese as it might be easier.

To give an update i solved the problem the car runs smoother and does not smell from the exhaust anymore , i did the oil change and the oil reset and dpf , seems fine i noticed i have a engine cover mount doing noise but i will sort that too , thank for all the help guys best regards

Back