Technical Fiat Doblò Cargo 1.6 MultiJet Maxi - engine warning due to chip tuning?

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Doblò Cargo 1.6 MultiJet Maxi - engine warning due to chip tuning?

tornas

Hi all,

Happy to join this forum! I'm the brand new owner of a 2019 Fiat Doblò Cargo 1.6 MultiJet Maxi van.

Straight after buying the van, the engine warning light went on (not blinking). The error code indicated a faulty lambda sensor. I got it replaced, the engine warning light turned off for just 20 kms and then went on again.

The garage reset the software & updated something in the Fiat system and the light went off again. However, again just for a short period before turning on.

The mechanic noted that the engine most likely was chip tuned by the previous owner (there is a badge on the van) and suspects this is the culprit.

Does anyone know if this is a common problem, and how can I solve it, preferably without detuning the engine (I might as well enjoy those extra horses while they're there lol)?

Thanks!

Hi all,

Happy to join this forum! I'm the brand new owner of a 2019 Fiat Doblò Cargo 1.6 MultiJet Maxi van.

Straight after buying the van, the engine warning light went on (not blinking). The error code indicated a faulty lambda sensor. I got it replaced, the engine warning light turned off for just 20 kms and then went on again.

The garage reset the software & updated something in the Fiat system and the light went off again. However, again just for a short period before turning on.

The mechanic noted that the engine most likely was chip tuned by the previous owner (there is a badge on the van) and suspects this is the culprit.

Does anyone know if this is a common problem, and how can I solve it, preferably without detuning the engine (I might as well enjoy those extra horses while they're there lol)?

Thanks!
Total guess but if you replaced Lambda sensor with a standard replacement, is it possible the previous owner had a "wide band Lambda sensor" set up for his tuning?
Though as you say light came on almost as soon as you drove off after buying vehicle I suggest previous owner knew about the issue, so type of sensor probably not the cause.
Any chance of speaking to previous owner?

Total guess but if you replaced Lambda sensor with a standard replacement, is it possible the previous owner had a "wide band Lambda sensor" set up for his tuning?
Though as you say light came on almost as soon as you drove off after buying vehicle I suggest previous owner knew about the issue, so type of sensor probably not the cause.
Any chance of speaking to previous owner?
Thanks for the insight!

I bought the car at a dealership and they bought it from another place so I can’t check the previous owner.

I don’t know anything about tuning (or about cars for that matter) but I will look into what you said about the wide band lambda sensor.

Thanks for the insight!

I bought the car at a dealership and they bought it from another place so I can’t check the previous owner.

I don’t know anything about tuning (or about cars for that matter) but I will look into what you said about the wide band lambda sensor.
Surely if unless a "trade sale" the onus would be on the dealership you bought the car from to fix it ?

Surely if unless a "trade sale" the onus would be on the dealership you bought the car from to fix it ?
Haha it’s a long story!

It is their responsibility for sure. They say it isn’t because I didn’t take their ‘service package’. We got into a discussion and the dealer owner got very, very angry with me.

Now, legally, I know I am in the right. But I didn’t trust them with my car anymore. Besides I have my own mechanic, who I trust very much.

Anyway, it doesn’t matter anymore because I’ve now driven the car to another country, where I live temporarily!

Back