General DOBLO Maxi 1.6 Multijet - idle at startup

Currently reading:
General DOBLO Maxi 1.6 Multijet - idle at startup

Hi there, recently purchased DOBLO Maxi. 1.6 Multijet.. on first start up each day, the car starts, but then sits there at low revs for maybe 20 seconds, before it will respond to pressing the accelerator (gas) pedal. Is this normal, or what could be the probable cause. Other than that everything runs fine

Hi there, recently purchased DOBLO Maxi. 1.6 Multijet.. on first start up each day, the car starts, but then sits there at low revs for maybe 20 seconds, before it will respond to pressing the accelerator (gas) pedal. Is this normal, or what could be the probable cause. Other than that everything runs fine
I have a 2010 Doblo 1.6 Maxi van and would say not normal.
Can you read any error codes , does it sound uneven /missing or just no response at that point?

I have a 2010 Doblo 1.6 Maxi van and would say not normal.
Can you read any error codes , does it sound uneven /missing or just no response at that point?
I connected my autel code reader... no error codes.
It just sits there 10-15 seconds at idle before it will respond to throttle

Sorry I don't know, maybe another Forum Member has experienced it.
Mike... May have been my bleddy error. For the dash, I can't actually see an indicator light for the glow plugs.... where should that be?

However, this morning, I turned ignition on,waited approx 10 seconds, started engine, and it was immediately throttle responsive.

So possibly operator error 😒😒

I will check next time I start the van re glow plug light.
Just been to my van, I haven't started it for several weeks, turned ignition on heater plug light on right of dashboard, it started straightaway without waiting although light seemed to go out quickly and then revved up OK.
As you may see engine is cold. Hope this helps.Sorry my camera only does AVI file. Duh!:(

Just been to my van, I haven't started it for several weeks, turned ignition on heater plug light on right of dashboard, it started straightaway without waiting although light seemed to go out quickly and then revved up OK.
As you may see engine is cold. Hope this helps.:)

Attachments

• DSCF2219.MOV
    20.4 MB
As you may see engine is cold. Hope this helps.:)
I'll do a video of my dash and engine idle at weekend They checked electronic throttle today and all calibrated ok, and no error codes

Still got same issue. Question. When your car is sat at idle, will it rev past 2500 rpm? When driving it behaves fine. But won't rev beyond 2500rpm if sat, out of gear?

Hi all. Just wondering is there any sensor that monitors oil pressure, or temperature... could that cause engine to idle for 15s before being responsive to throttle?

Hi all. Just wondering is there any sensor that monitors oil pressure, or temperature... could that cause engine to idle for 15s before being responsive to throttle?
Hi, I have a 1.6 combo/doblo and it also has a strange lumpy idle for a number of seconds when starting the van. Otherwise the engine has been fine, and there's no engine lights or error codes. I did research it before and somewhere I found someone saying it is just a safety feature that's programmed into the bcm, so that the engine can't be over-revved when first started to avoid engine damage/allow oil chance to circulate. If my engine is warm, it seems to be much quicker or not even noticeable. On especially cold mornings I turn the key to first position to activate glow plugs and wait for the glow plug light to extinguish, then turn off and remove the key, then repeat before actually turning over the engine. I've found this seems to help reduce the length of time the engine idles strange.

Hi, I have a 1.6 combo/doblo and it also has a strange lumpy idle for a number of seconds when starting the van. Otherwise the engine has been fine, and there's no engine lights or error codes. I did research it before and somewhere I found someone saying it is just a safety feature that's programmed into the bcm, so that the engine can't be over-revved when first started to avoid engine damage/allow oil chance to circulate. If my engine is warm, it seems to be much quicker or not even noticeable. On especially cold mornings I turn the key to first position to activate glow plugs and wait for the glow plug light to extinguish, then turn off and remove the key, then repeat before actually turning over the engine. I've found this seems to help reduce the length of time the engine idles strange.
We have spoken about this before and it is not a problem I have noticed even with frost on the ground though weather is very mild around here generally. I have never needed to do the old trick of turning ignition off and on again to give a bit more heater plug, though I have had to on older vehicles many years ago.
Interested in any more confirmation you find re "it is just a safety feature that's programmed into the bcm," bit , I haven't heard of it, the only thing I found on a car years ago (maybe a Rover Maestro) that I fitted a clutch to and dislodged the oil pressure switch wire which prevented it from starting until refitted. So I suppose it is possible that the ECU or BCM is programmed to wait for a reading from some sensor on cranking before allowing the engine to fire up, though not sure if that would relate to not being able to rev up.
Recently after a run of around 20 miles then stopped for several hours and restarted I had a glow plug warning on the dashboard, it made no difference to the normal quick starting.
Later I checked with a cheap Launch diagnostic tool and no errors were showing, however I tested the relay and then the injector plugs and found some faulty, I then replaced the set with new Bosch ones with no further messages.
Just in case you try to test the injectors across a battery, don't as you will find they are rated at 4.4 volts I think, which will destroy them .
I did that trick years ago on a Bedford Midi with the Isuzi engine and had to buy a set.
Strangely when I put a meter on the relay it read 10 volts for a second or so before going to the correct voltage. If you go back some time in my other threads there is a bit about it and the wiring plugs etc.:)

Last edited:
Hi, I have this same issue with my 2015 combo/doblo. Has anyone been able to pinpoint anything? One thing I notice on mine is 9 times out of 10 I also get the low oil pressure warning as well as the low idle and no accelerator response. The oil pressure warning clears in about 5seconds but the idle issue varies from 10-30 seconds.
Glow plugs are all new Bosch ones, I done a leak back test on the injectors and they were all very similar to each other, replaced fuel pressure sensor aswell but sort of stuck at what it could be now 😅

Hi, I have this same issue with my 2015 combo/doblo. Has anyone been able to pinpoint anything? One thing I notice on mine is 9 times out of 10 I also get the low oil pressure warning as well as the low idle and no accelerator response. The oil pressure warning clears in about 5seconds but the idle issue varies from 10-30 seconds.
Glow plugs are all new Bosch ones, I done a leak back test on the injectors and they were all very similar to each other, replaced fuel pressure sensor aswell but sort of stuck at what it could be now 😅
Any error codes showing on diagnostics or live data?

Back