Technical Doblò Cargo timing belt info

Currently reading:
Technical Doblò Cargo timing belt info

giacomom

Hi all,

I would kindly like to know if the broken service belt could slip inside the timing belt cover and break it......
Thank you
Giacomo

Hi all,

I would kindly like to know if the broken service belt could slip inside the timing belt cover and break it......
Thank you
Giacomo
It has been known to happen on certain makes of engine, the strands of the auxiliary belt get behind the pulley and wind themselves through under the cambelt against the crank pulley causing failure.
It should be fairly obvious on inspection.

Thank you bugsymike,
but from your experience do you know if it happened on the 223A6000 engine ?
Giacomo

Thank you bugsymike,
but from your experience do you know if it happened on the 223A6000 engine ?
Giacomo
Not particularly on that 1.9 engine,but basically it could happen on nearly any cam belt driven engine, as the string used in alternator belt construction is very strong and made from one piece wrapped many in times to give the belt it flexibility and strength.
Once a loose thread has started from one side and got behind the crankshaft pulley turning at several thousand revs it can soon cause damage, one thread is strong enough to carry a mans weight.
Years ago we used to unravel an old belt and pull off a length sufficient to wrap around the older style windscreens to use when fitting new glass before bonded windscreens came along.

I wasn't lucky, if I did I bent some valves....
Giacomo
I seem to recall Citroen C8 cambelts failing withing recommended service intervals destroying engines at over £2k at time years ago, in France they paid out , in UK mostly the answer was two fingers. I had a customer who had bought his new and had dealer servicing until belt broke well within recommended interval and they refused his claim.

Back