General fiat dealer reasons !!!

Currently reading:
General fiat dealer reasons !!!

grandepunto

took my car to fiat direct in Hayes (Middlesex) and this was to do with the grinding noise coming when you steer. its apparent when you in stationery traffic just moving the steering.

the dealer took my car in & had the drop links changed for free as the car was under warranty.

however the grinding noise is due to the fact that there is something wrong with the steering column & he told me that he had a chat with fiat to see if they can replace steering column for free but fiat said that they have to send an engineer out to see the damage and then can assess the situaiton.

this is the first i have heard as i cannot believe if this is the starndard case when dealing with fiat for cars under warranty.

the dealer checked the steering & said that its not damaged but accepts the noise as a nuisance. i have been told to wait for another month before the engineer from fiat comes to check.

Fiat's attitude to warranty claims stinks. They often duck out of things, particularly after the first two years. By way of contrast, my sister has just had £1000 worth of free work on her 7 year old Honda that she bought second hand and only came with a 3 year warranty when new.

Last edited:
I think it really does depend on the Dealer. Some people on here have had excellent aftercare and have had no problems having endless lists of things replaced.

Agree with the comments about Top Strut Bearings. Have read about them causing grinding noises that sound like they're coming from the steering.

However, i'd speak to Fiat UK about the delay in getting someone out to look at the steering column, because if it is that then it's reasonable to say some people might consider it dangerous. I doubt it is, but Puntos have had their problems with steering columns so the dealer (or maybe Fiat UK) should be out quicker than this.

That said, i got reimbursed the £300 for front suspension springs snapping and wrecking a tyre on my Stilo when it was 6 years old, and i'm the second owner, so Fiat UK aren't terrible, just abit inconsistent. Their number is 00800 3428 0000. They might, as in my case, ask for a follow up email.

I think it really does depend on the Dealer. Some people on here have had excellent aftercare and have had no problems having endless lists of things replaced.

This. From what I've read on here they are pretty damn good with their aftercare.

I can think of a few that are universally appalling, regardless of dealer (Renault...well any French ones basically).

Arnold Clark are questionable at the best of times but their FIAT branches seem to be alright.

This. From what I've read on here they are pretty damn good with their aftercare.

I can think of a few that are universally appalling, regardless of dealer (Renault...well any French ones basically).

Arnold Clark are questionable at the best of times but their FIAT branches seem to be alright.

Fiat certainly aren't as bad as their reputation suggests. My experience of their Customer Services was on par with what i'd expect from a brand like Porche or Lexus.

They appear to treat everything on its individual merrits, which is good because it means everyone gets a fair chance but it can be bad because sometimes common faults can be dealt with inconsistently & the reason for a claim being rejected can seem very obscure or non-apparant.

Overall though i think they're pretty decent, but they'll need to keep improving if their prices keep increasing.

Back