General 2007 FIAT PUNTO SPORTING 16V new wheel needed

Currently reading:
General 2007 FIAT PUNTO SPORTING 16V new wheel needed

FiFiLaPunto

Hello there, I am new to this Forum. I am also not knowledgeable about cars, so apologies in advance if I ask what seem to be dumb questions.

My daughter has a Fiat Punto Sporting 2007. She hit a huge pothole last week and has not just popped the tyre, she has damaged the wheel itself. I am helping her to replace this and wanted to check if anyone has experience of how best to do it. I've looked up the spec, and as far as I can see we need a 17 inch alloy for this model. Have I got that right? I'm trying to buy one second hand, so we don't have to remortgage the house! Other than ebay are there good places to look? If I find a replacement wheel, can I take it all to Kwik Fit and ask them to replace the wheel and fit a new tyre, or will they laugh at me?

Thank you all for your help with this.

Hello,

17" is only the diameter. Rims have also different widths (marked with inches + the J letter, ie. 6J) and the offset (ET, can be negative or positive). This is about the size :D

The next things that have to fit are the central bore diameter (in mms, ie. 56) and the number and the distance between the holes to attach the wheel to the car (ie. 4x98).

So, the correct rim description should be for example 6J x 17 ET20 4x98 central bore 56 :)

There are plastic adapters for the central bore diameter available, so this parameter is the less important one. All of the markings except the central bore should be stamped on the rim, on steel rims I've seen them on the outside around the center, on alloy rims only on the inside. Central bore diameter is sometimes stamped on the inside of the plastic cap that covers the bore :)

Offset can be different on the front and on the rear of the car, the other parameters are most likely the same for the front and rear. So, if you take off the front wheel on the other side that was damaged, you should be able to find out what kind of rim do you need.

The design is, i'd say, also important :)

The rim should be straight and not damaged. It'd be good to be able to take it back to the seller and get a refund if the garage says it's not.

I don't know about the British regulations, but in the EU the tires on the same axis have to be of the same model. And for security reasons should have more or less the same wear. So, consider replacing a pair of the tires.

Kwikfit or any tire / wheel garage should do the job with no problem. Personally I'd prioritize a local garage.

Get the suspension + alignment + geometry checked, too, as soon as you'll have the car on the road. To avoid quick wear of the new tire.

Post a picture here, perhaps a forum member has a suitable rim that he could sell :) You could also check some local breakers.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
Hello,

17" is only the diameter. Rims have also different widths (marked with inches + the J letter, ie. 6J) and the offset (ET, can be negative or positive). This is about the size :D

The next things that have to fit are the central bore diameter (in mms, ie. 56) and the number and the distance between the holes to attach the wheel to the car (ie. 4x98).

So, the correct rim description should be for example 6J x 17 ET20 4x98 central bore 56 :)

There are plastic adapters for the central bore diameter available, so this parameter is the less important one. All of the markings except the central bore should be stamped on the rim, on steel rims I've seen them on the outside around the center, on alloy rims only on the inside. Central bore diameter is sometimes stamped on the inside of the plastic cap that covers the bore :)

Offset can be different on the front and on the rear of the car, the other parameters are most likely the same for the front and rear. So, if you take off the front wheel on the other side that was damaged, you should be able to find out what kind of rim do you need.

The design is, i'd say, also important :)

The rim should be straight and not damaged. It'd be good to be able to take it back to the seller and get a refund if the garage says it's not.

I don't know about the British regulations, but in the EU the tires on the same axis have to be of the same model. And for security reasons should have more or less the same wear. So, consider replacing a pair of the tires.

Kwikfit or any tire / wheel garage should do the job with no problem. Personally I'd prioritize a local garage.

Get the suspension + alignment + geometry checked, too, as soon as you'll have the car on the road. To avoid quick wear of the new tire.

Post a picture here, perhaps a forum member has a suitable rim that he could sell :) You could also check some local breakers.

Good luck :)

Attachments

• fiat wheel internal view.jpg
    fiat wheel internal view.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 15
  • fiat wheel external view.jpg
    fiat wheel external view.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 21
Hi there, thank you so much for replying. I've attached some photos. So far I have not been able to source a single wheel that looks like it. Kwik Fit is my local garage, it is literally 200 yards down the road, hence asking about it. As I'm going to have to limp to it on the damaged wheel, I'm trying to look for the closest options.

When you say check with local breakers, what does that mean?

Hi there, thank you so much for replying. I've attached some photos. So far I have not been able to source a single wheel that looks like it. Kwik Fit is my local garage, it is literally 200 yards down the road, hence asking about it. As I'm going to have to limp to it on the damaged wheel, I'm trying to look for the closest options.

When you say check with local breakers, what does that mean?
If you've managed to take off the broken wheel to take the photo, you can put it in your car with the new tire and rim (though I'm assuming, perhaps wrongly, you've got a car on your own...)

Local breakers = local companies that buy (mostly) damaged cars and dismantle them into pieces before they get back into furnace.

I was trying to check on the internet the rim model, but it is a common design and image search throws out many of them on different makes :(
Again, a punto enthusiast should be able to help :)

Last edited:
Ah, I'm with you about breakers. I will try and find out where my nearest car graveyard might be. Thank you again, for taking the time and trouble to reply. I do appreciate it.

Here are 3 options for you

A 4th option would be to look for someone local on facebook market place selling a set of wheels cheap for a Grande punto and change them all.

Also as a quick look on facebook market place for "grande Punto 17 wheel" this came up in the first few results
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/772168967830126/

So there are plenty about if you look for them.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Here are 3 options for you

A 4th option would be to look for someone local on facebook market place selling a set of wheels cheap for a Grande punto and change them all.

Also as a quick look on facebook market place for "grande Punto 17 wheel" this came up in the first few results
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/772168967830126/

So there are plenty about if you look for them.
Thank you so much for taking the time to do a search. The bottom one would be perfect, but it is from Italy and I'm a bit nervous about that. I've just messaged the first guy selling the four and asked him if he'd sell one to me. If I really can't find one that matches the others, then I guess I could get the black alloy one, so it is good to have that option too. I'll do a Facebook market place search too, I hadn't thought of that. Thank you.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Thank you so much for taking the time to do a search. The bottom one would be perfect, but it is from Italy and I'm a bit nervous about that. I've just messaged the first guy selling the four and asked him if he'd sell one to me. If I really can't find one that matches the others, then I guess I could get the black alloy one, so it is good to have that option too. I'll do a Facebook market place search too, I hadn't thought of that. Thank you.
I have bought stuff from italy and germany before, it just takes a little longer to get the parts, Most stuff is protected by eBay should you not get your parts or something else go wrong

I'd also recomend buying with a credit card so your purchase is protected by the chargeback system should you have problems.

Back