General Fan resistor

Currently reading:
General Fan resistor

John202020,

Yup, as far as I could tell, engine note changed and air con worked, I ran it both at idle and on a short run. You can hear the note change when the compressor kicked in - Least that was my thoughts. ?

Interesting though as I thought the air con was cooler whilst driving than at idle, but it might need a re gas perhaps

What are you thinking , I think it’s relays 6 and 7 that operate low and high speed fan. Checked fuses 6 and 7 over weekend and they look fine.

Welcome any inputs to sort this

Cooler whilst driving, it will be, without the fan no air gets a pulled through the condenser so the performance is greatly reduced, the fans run even if driving normally.
So new resistor and no running, first check the earth connection? Then the feeds
The over temp and a.c. switch the fan independently all be it using the same relays

Last edited:
Reactions: TTR
Do you know where’s the earth connection for this loom?

Have no elec test equipment so difficult for me to check any feeds - plus no bl88d) idea if I had either:)

So do I understand that the fan should be triggered by the over temp readings on the dash ie at 75% and Or air con regardless of EngIne temperature ie it would kick the fan in as soon as air con was put on. Thats what I thought from Typecast boys response .

So mines still fubar so problem must be with either fan, relays, fuse, or temp sender then?

I HATE owt electronic

Cheers for any further advice for an idiot to follow

I'm assuming you know where it is? The electrical connection at the top right of the fan housing.

Undo the 8mm nut after taking off the electrical connection and it just pulls out. That's it basically.

To test the fan run a couple of wires from the battery terminals and touch them to the positive and negative terminals on the fan plug that you have just unplugged. It should start to run if it's working and free.

Just place the new resistor in, do up the 8mm nut and plug the plug back in and that should be it. Couludn't be simpler really. Run the car again with AC on, and with a bit of luck, the fan will kick in.

Typecastboy

Eh up, yup already got the new resistor in- no worries on that - just didn’t work the fan !

I didn’t register that the plug I removed from the resistor was the fan plug - am I understanding your post ? The resistor plug has a yellow and blue plug with two spade terminals in it. If this is the fan plug how do I tell which is positive and negative Terminals or does it not matter?

That will save me taking the fan out completely which was my plan on Saturday

If you can confirm I’m correct with above appreciate it.

If it works it rules our resistor and fan, then it’s replacing next cheapest parts like relays and temp sender on engine

Cheers for taking time to reply

The resistor only has positive feeds slow and high, fuse/relay 6 for slow fuse/relay 7 for high.
You can make a very simple tester with a small(sidelight) bulb connected to two wires with that you can test feeds and earths.
Or buy a simple one like this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1857931141?iid=133416553539
Aldi and Lild also sell test meters that cover most diy needs for only £5-8

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Typecastboy

Eh up, yup already got the new resistor in- no worries on that - just didn’t work the fan !

I didn’t register that the plug I removed from the resistor was the fan plug - am I understanding your post ? The resistor plug has a yellow and blue plug with two spade terminals in it. If this is the fan plug how do I tell which is positive and negative Terminals or does it not matter?

That will save me taking the fan out completely which was my plan on Saturday

If you can confirm I’m correct with above appreciate it.

If it works it rules our resistor and fan, then it’s replacing next cheapest parts like relays and temp sender on engine

Cheers for taking time to reply

From memory the wires in the plug are red and black.

The fan earth point is near the nearside headlight(note there's two very close and two more quite close) the white wire to the resistor is the slow speed feed the brown is the fast speed feed. If its lost the earth it wont work regardless of feed, this could be a broken wire internally or at the earth point?

You "can" if you want short together the white and brown wires together, if the fan still doesn't work then look at the earthing(assuming you've tested the fan off the car) finally relays and control, its a simple fault, finding it more complicated.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Eh up all,

I’m back ......Ahhhh

Just want a sense check - followed above advice re testing fan:-

Went to resistor connection and followed wire down right hand side of fan cowl
Found another connection with two wires red and black ( + & - I assume).
Took the connection off so I could easily see the two males spade connection
POS on the right , NEG on the left side, made up two wires with female spades and locked into both connections
Double checked and made sure I connected pos and neg wires to car battery correctly

Nothing happened :bang:(n)

The fan did not run, would you concur that the fan is broken.? Could I have possibly done anything wrong ?

If the view is I’m right will order a used fan from somewhere, fit and see if that sorts it.

Is it a standard fan for all cars or do the ones with air on like mine have a different part number

I guess I’m maybe unlucky with both the resistor and fan bust :shrug:

Also I did and redid the two earth points on the chassis legs adjective the connector wires, these were both clean and dry.

Help greatly appreciated as usual, would not have got this far without assistance and for those of us with daughters you want their cars right(y)

Last edited:
In stead of following wires back from resistor follow the wires back from fan motor , when you find a connector disconnect it then connect your battery wires to the wires going to fan motor.

Then if fan motor doesn't work you need a fan motor and it's wires.

Last edited:
Jackwhoo

Might have confused you in the write up, unless I’m misunderstanding :confused:

I followed the wires from the resistor back to a second multi plug down the fan cowl, if you followed the wire then further it went straight to the fan motor.

I unplugged this second multi plug and stuck the test wires in, these feed directly to the fan motor itself.

So I pretty sure that’s the same as your describing - correct me if I’m wrong.

Cheers

Jackwhoo

Might have confused you in the write up, unless I’m misunderstanding :confused:

I followed the wires from the resistor back to a second multi plug down the fan cowl, if you followed the wire then further it went straight to the fan motor.

I unplugged this second multi plug and stuck the test wires in, these feed directly to the fan motor itself.

So I pretty sure that’s the same as your describing - correct me if I’m wrong.

Ok

Sounds like replacement fan required then.

Before fitting replacement fan it test it as you tested existing one.

• Thanks
I believe the fan in aircon models is usually uprated to cope with the high speed mode of the two speed system, however most 500s had aircon, so tracking one down should not be hard.

• Thanks
John 202020

Confused mate - the two wires that go into the fan motor went straight to the multi plug I uncoupled and then stuck my two test wires into and then these ends to the battery . If I take the fan off ( which I will do anyway tomorrow) I don’t know how else to test it again as the end I stuck the Multi plug into is the physical end of the fan motor feed? Hope I make sense.

Cheers for all the help so far

Typecast boy - that’s what I thought there were two fan types one aircon other without, no idea what difference is hence any part number advice. Seen a couple on eBay circa £46,00 which I think will fit.

Cheers again for all help

Keep it coming I need it .

John 202020

Confused mate - the two wires that go into the fan motor went straight to the multi plug I uncoupled and then stuck my two test wires into and then these ends to the battery . If I take the fan off ( which I will do anyway tomorrow) I don’t know how else to test it again as the end I stuck the Multi plug into is the physical end of the fan motor feed? Hope I make sense.

Take the fan off, it should have (according to my book) a brown and black wire to the motor brown is live feed black as you can guess is earth. Whack it on the battery(carefully) see if it runs, careful it may jerk when power applied

John 202020

Typecast boy - that’s what I thought there were two fan types one aircon other without, no idea what difference is hence any part number advice. Seen a couple on eBay circa £46,00 which I think will fit.

Cheers again for all help

As long as you get one that has come from a model with a.c. you will be fine. If it comes attached to it's mounting frame that attaches it to radiator all the better.

John202020

Cheers for that, you are right about the brown and black feeds to the fan multi plug thought it was red last night.

I did put the positive cable I made to the brown wire In the multi plug and the negative cable I attached to the black wire in the multi plug. Assume when you say “earth” that the black wire should have gone to a ground point on the car ie Earth? Or do you mean the negative side of the battery

I thought that it would go to both terminals on the battery?

Might be wrong with what I did, I hate owt electronic!!

Found a fan I think so am ordering today

Keep all comments and advice coming it’s really useful

Cheers all

Back