Technical Loud fan from Engine Bay

Currently reading:
Technical Loud fan from Engine Bay

connormarshall

Hi all,
I have had my 2015 500S for a few months now and as I was leaving London, sat in traffic yesterday afternoon what I believe to be the radiator fan started turning on and running very loud for 5-10 second bursts. I thought it may have just been because it was warm but as I made my way down to Somerset the car continued to do the same thing when idling. I managed to take a quick (and quite poor quality) video and when I pulled into a lay-by somewhere along the A303. For context, as the fan/blowing has started it has made the entire car vibrate I.e. steering wheel, dashboard etc.

Is this something I need to be concerned about or is there a quick fix out there?

Attachments

• IMG_2338.mov
    23.6 MB
Hi all,
I have had my 2015 500S for a few months now and as I was leaving London, sat in traffic yesterday afternoon what I believe to be the radiator fan started turning on and running very loud for 5-10 second bursts. I thought it may have just been because it was warm but as I made my way down to Somerset the car continued to do the same thing when idling. I managed to take a quick (and quite poor quality) video and when I pulled into a lay-by somewhere along the A303. For context, as the fan/blowing has started it has made the entire car vibrate I.e. steering wheel, dashboard etc.

Is this something I need to be concerned about or is there a quick fix out there?

Hi 🙂
A 8 year old fan failing isn't unheard of.. But not complex to fix 😉

So..
on a 100 mile trip it shouldn't have run constantly..!

Is the coolant level holding ok?

There are several options with the fan.. Tell us more 🙂

No AC on at the time. It wasn’t running constantly, just when I came to a standstill, it would come on for 5-10 seconds then die back down again. I have topped up the coolant and will be driving back to London later today so will see how things go.

No AC on at the time. It wasn’t running constantly, just when I came to a standstill, it would come on for 5-10 seconds then die back down again. I have topped up the coolant and will be driving back to London later today so will see how things go.
Do let us know 🙂

When did it last need coolant?

A low level MIGHT have been the issue here..
But coolant on the FIRE ENGINE is very important.. 😉

Last edited:
Previously I found the air inlet pipe that bolts to the slam panel was loose and made quite a noise. Tightened that up and was fine.
The current issue I have (above) still needs looked at, but it's scotland and getting colder now so the fan becomes a bit under used.

Back