Technical exhaust/CAT problem immediate help required :O

Currently reading:
Technical exhaust/CAT problem immediate help required :O

supajosh

hey guys.

re mk1 punto (99)

im really stumped for what to do so ive come here for your more then worthy advice.:)

whist in tesco some lady reversed into me all be it only slightly she bumped my exhaust tip and it has split the pipework completely underneath just before the muffler. i wasnt in the car at the time (shopping) but she left her contact details which i though was nice , turns out shes denying all knowledge of it so shes obviously thought twice about paying out for it.(n)

essentially now im stuck with the bill. i put it in a garage hopeing that the pipes could just be welded togeather although ive just got off the phone to a quote of 204 pounds since i need all new piping and a replacement cat apparently ?

at the moment the car seems to drive ok , i stuck one of those bandage things on it and got to leeds and back fine and only since then has that diy job failed on me. after baout 150 miles .

mot is coming up in a few months and i know my rear shock has already gone to the sum of 160 quid so ive decided to sell the car. however i really need it for this next week and am just wondering what the implications would be if i was just to bandage it up or get a freind to bodge weld it back up and obioulsy decct the aprox cost of a full repair from the final sale value .

so would it be safe just to bodge it up again baring in mind 'apparently ' i need a new cat ? ( i need about 100 miles out of it that all )
\
i know this is alot of info but i truly need some quick help any advice would be highly appreciated:eek:

Dont worry about the CAT, unless;
*the MOT is coming up
*it scraping against the ground (been there, done that!)
*or is so knackered that its internals break up and restrict or block the exhaust gases of the engine (been there too).

Although the whole system can make some right irritating noises, especially on a long journey.
Also: A favorite tip of mine is to check that the pipe leading to the back box isn't broken or about to break through, if it does the back box will rotate slightly and the rear pipe will rub the near side tyre with possible dangerous consequences.

thakns phil ;)

ive spent 12 hours today with all manner of tools fixing my baby up . and safe to say its the best bodge ive ever done feeling fine about it all now thanks alot :slayer:

Back