Technical Diffrence between euro 2 or euro 3 cat

Currently reading:
Technical Diffrence between euro 2 or euro 3 cat

deafmazter

Hi Guys,

For my current punto hgt, I am looking for the large catalytic converter (euro 3). I myself have two hgt's one euro 2 and the other euro 3. The car with euro 3 has 3 different catalytic converters, two small ones and a larger one. The euro 2 has only one catalytic converter and that is the big one. When I do an internet search I only come up with one catalsyator. Is it true that this catalyst can go under both the euro 2 and euro 3 standard, and that the euro 3 standard is obtained by the two small catalysts in the manifold?

I am not really sure of the reason or purpose to this question but the basics of a catalytic convertor is the gases go in one end, the CO reacts with a "catalyst" hence the name with in it. Usually things like platinum and palladium, which when they react with the gas turn the gas into CO2 and this is what comes out the tail pipe.

The bigger the surface area available for the reaction to take place the more carbon monoxide you turn into carbon dioxide and so the extra catalytic convertors likely does nothing more than giving you more surface area for the reaction to take place resulting in lower CO emotions at the back end.

I am not really sure of the reason or purpose to this question but the basics of a catalytic convertor is the gases go in one end, the CO reacts with a "catalyst" hence the name with in it. Usually things like platinum and palladium, which when they react with the gas turn the gas into CO2 and this is what comes out the tail pipe.

The bigger the surface area available for the reaction to take place the more carbon monoxide you turn into carbon dioxide and so the extra catalytic convertors likely does nothing more than giving you more surface area for the reaction to take place resulting in lower CO emotions at the back end.
Because I need a new catalytic converter for my hgt with the euro 3 requirement for the dutch car inspection ring. However, nowhere on the internet is there a catalytic converter specifically for this standard, only one for the euro 2 standard. Hence my question whether this is the same one.

According to ePer the same part can be fitted to both EU2 and EU3 HGTs - the part number I found is 46760966.

The reason for the smaller front catalysts is that Fiat met EU3 by better controlling cold start emissions. Catalysts need to light off before they work - in other words, they need to get hot. A smaller catalyst brick = quicker to warm up and easier to package closer to the exhaust ports. The larger second catalyst can then control what the smaller catalysts cannot (which is more than CO).

According to ePer the same part can be fitted to both EU2 and EU3 HGTs - the part number I found is 46760966.

The reason for the smaller front catalysts is that Fiat met EU3 by better controlling cold start emissions. Catalysts need to light off before they work - in other words, they need to get hot. A smaller catalyst brick = quicker to warm up and easier to package closer to the exhaust ports. The larger second catalyst can then control what the smaller catalysts cannot (which is more than CO).
Thanks for being so helpful!

Back