12313916_1678782445706544_2945075987315921875_n-2.jpg

500 (Classic) Enzo the Cinquecento - RestoMod

Introduction

Enzo the Cinquecento - 500L 110F RestoMod

Hi Everyone,

I bought a 1970 FIAT 500L in November of 2015 with my goal being to have a classic car that I could restore over time, and make some modern improvements along the way. Ideally the car will be a car driven only maybe 1 or 2 days per month, but also be improved so that I can do classic rallies, hill-climbs and social motorsports.

I've always loved the Abarth cars from that era, so the exterior aesthetic styling will be Abarth-based, and the interior will be a more modern GT-style (neat and functional).

The existing 126/650cc engine in the car has been plagued since I bought it so I have now taken the car off the road to commence a large chunk of the work.

Planned works include:
  • Motor
  • 780cc IL Motore competition motor - ORDERED
  • External oil cooler with logic-controlled thermofans
  • ELX ignition
  • Transmission/Driveline
  • Assess gearbox for actual current gear ratio set and final drive
  • Look at options for differentials/LSD
  • Exterior
  • Roll guards to avoid tyre scrub on outer edges (145/70,12) but upgrading to 165/55, 12
  • Install Abarth badging
  • Install raised engine cover
  • Research composite aerodynamic hard roof options for competition spec
  • Abarth Corse mirrors
  • Abarth wipers
  • Bonnet catches front and rear
  • Interior
  • Strip all existing carpet
  • Replace with new carpet or alu/composite floor plates
  • Remove original seats, replace with 2 fixed composite SPARCO bucket seats
  • Remove rear seat entirely, create replacement panel over firewall with sound and heat insulation
  • Replace steering wheel with SPARCO 3-spoke, small dish suede wheel
  • Modify gear shifter to allow for shorter mechanical throw but with more clearance of seats with SPARCO gear knob
  • Replace dash with custom layout, composite wrapped in alcantara
  • Install Race Technology DASH2 (oil pressure, oil temp, air-fuel ratio)
  • Install 2 x HANHART mechanical chronometers for classic rally
  • Modify SPARCO pedals and look at options for brake BIAS adjustment
  • Chassis
  • replace current (lowered) leaf spring suspension with adjustable 2 or 3-way coil-overs (need to research options)
  • strut brace for front towers
  • need to establish rigidity in rear frame and asses if brace required in rear
  • Brakes
  • 4-wheel disc brakes
  • hydraulic handbrake
  • Electronics
  • Strip and re-wire the entire car with a custom mil spec loom
  • Include loom pairs/plugs for sensors (engine, chassis, brake etc)
  • Fuel
  • Remove small fuel tank and replace with larger capacity rated fuel cell
  • Electric fuel pump
  • Wheels and Tyres
  • Yokohama A048 165/55,12
  • Currently has genuine Borrani 4.5,12 wheels. Will keep these for the road.
  • Create custom "turbo-fans", need to assess base wheel for this modification

I have already laser scanned the car to work on some component design, and to do 2D and 3D CFD on the body to look at aerodynamic options to improve engine performance (RAM air box), and also engine cooling, plus optimised location for oil cooler.

I won't have a lot of time to constantly update this, but I will do my best to upload shots as key things are ticked off the list.

I hope to get advice from other owners on a few key parts, as there are a lot of shops out there selling the same stuff, but in my research not many people seem to be using it!

Some of the purists won't like what I'm doing to the car, but my goal is not to jeopardise the shell at all, as that's where this cars value is. I'll be keeping most of the original parts I take off, so I can always restore it back to normal in the future. But I hope everyone appreciates what I'm trying to achieve with this project.

Cheers,
Renato (and Enzo)
Re: Enzo the Cinquecento - 500L 110F RestoMod

Having looked into it - there are many universal engine dampers available for under £30.
The clever bit will be the design and security of the bracket to the inner wing
The connection to the engine block will be where the engine lift hook is bolted to the cylinder head and so a straight forward fabricated bracket is all that's needed - engine end.
My thanks for inspiring a solution.

If you find one of those kits that looks well made, I'd appreciate if you could share a link, as even paying in Australian dollars, £30 is a lot less than I was thinking I'd have to spend!

The dampers are under £30
I'm in conversation with my fabricator regarding the bracket required to mount to inner wing.
When I have a design - I will have several brackets made and I will put together a kit for sale at a reasonable cost as there appears to be none available to buy.
Are you interested ?

Last edited:
The dampers are under £30
I'm in conversation with my fabricator regarding the bracket required to mount to inner wing.
When I have a design - I will have several brackets made and I will put together a kit for sale at a reasonable cost as there appears to be none available to buy.
Are you interested ?

Thanks for the offer, but as with pretty much anything for me, the cost of freight on a small part like that is usually far more than it would cost me to make it locally.

I've got free access to a water-jet cutter, so I will likely CAD something up and get a prototype made. Plus I'm consering the option of making one out of Carbon-Aramid, but that will take a bit more of my time. Let me know how you get on though, as I'm keen to see what you come up with!

Short update, working on a custom fuel tank with my fabricator. Not fussed about losing front boot space, as without back seats I'll have plenty of space for overnight bags etc.

Test profile to get a feel of free space etc. I will keep about 100-150mm gap on the side nearest to left wheel arch to allow space for better placement of fluid reservoirs, additional fuse box etc.

I need to relocate the standard fittings to make room for the adjuster on the new dampers.

With this profile and the target width, we should be able to get 35-36 liters, which will allow me to cover a little more ground on the highway without having to stop at every petrol station I drive past.

Tank will be aluminum, internally baffled, with 5 zones, and modern fuel sender unit, rollover valve, and foam-packed.

IMG_1470832110.974890.jpg
IMG_1470832169.001016.jpg
IMG_1470832181.425745.jpg

Fuel tank body is nearly done. Will need to do a proper fill-test for exact volume, but on my high-school maths we're looking at 35/36 litres. Now just trying to source a suitable filler spout, flange, spill tray etc

Thinking a Monza filler will look best on the brushed alloy.

IMG_1471139482.061333.jpg

I picked up some parts from the powdercoaters yesterday.

Original Logotech/Wheeltech 12x5.5 +18 wheels. These are no longer available and I contacted the manufacturer to see if they knew where I could get some. They had a set sitting in storage that didn't pass quality control back when they were manufactured due to poor painting. I got them for a very good price, got them x-rayed at an NDT lab, then zinc-coated, and powder coated "Gold Tarnish". They look brand new and will look great on the finished car!

I also had the voltage regulator cover re-done too. In a hi-temp black powder coating. Looks very good, but also shows a bit of it's age with a slight wear on the letter/numbering, which I'm really happy with.

There was evidence of at least one engine fire prior to the one I had when I first got the car, so this cover was an absolute mess beforehand.

Attachments

• IMG_6388.JPG
    IMG_6388.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 148
  • IMG_6386.JPG
    IMG_6386.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 90

Agree, they look good. So Axel Gerstl has stopped selling them I take it. That's a shame.

btw - not sure that an X-ray on a steel would have been very productive. I've always found a lump hammer corrects any problems with a steel wheel. ;) ;) ;)

Agree, they look good. So Axel Gerstl has stopped selling them I take it. That's a shame.

btw - not sure that an X-ray on a steel would have been very productive. I've always found a lump hammer corrects any problems with a steel wheel. ;) ;) ;)

Yes, AG don't have new stock but did help me source this set.

I had to X-Ray to check the welds as the wheels had failed quality control at the factory in the past. Structurally they were ok, however they needed to be completely stripped and recoated so I could do a visual inspection too.

More progress shots.

Nowhere in Australia stocked the screw-on flange required to mount a Monza-type filler cap, so we went with something retro race car instead.

IMG_1471434662.936739.jpg

Picture doesn't show final filler location. The filler will be dead center of the tank, with breather and pick-up lines routed to the back. Steel straps wrapped in rubber will be mounted using existing tank tabs.

VDO tube-type fuel sender unit will be installed driver-side front corner.

Breather pipe will be routed through the drain hole at the base of the A-pillar.

Pick-up bag in baffled swirl pot, and rest of tank will be foam-filled.

Tank is aluminum and will be finished in a longitudinal brushed scotch-brite.

IMG_1471435025.552009.jpg

Final seat-fitting completed, whilst lowering steering rack slightly, we re-centered the wheel to the new seating position. I'm 6ft1 (183cm) tall and I have perfect arm position now, clear line of sight to instrument cluster, and about 4.5-inches of head-room.

IMG_1471435065.921634.jpg

The anchor points for existing/original seat belts have been integrated into new tether points for the floor-mounts, and using the existing mount on the b-pillar.

Bar-work now sent off to powdercoaters to be finished in satin black.

So there has not been much progress. I am still renovating my unit (very slowly) and therefore my little FIAT has not had much love. During the final install of the bucket seats we stripped back the floor tar to do a final check of the body and found some bad rust. To have it at this point and not fix it would be silly, so we cut out the sections, welded in some new fabricated channels to match, and gave it a hit of primer.

The footwell area located just along the door will and adjacent to the wheel arch.
IMG_1477904327.257593.jpg
IMG_1477904346.178114.jpg

Paper weights, anyone?
IMG_1477904384.873418.jpg

The new fabricated piece
IMG_1477904409.368570.jpg

Welded in place with a shot of primer
IMG_1477904429.027896.jpg

A good match to the original I think.
IMG_1477904457.375198.jpg

The underside re-done with stone guard
IMG_1477904478.679073.jpg

I have tiling, painting, and carpet going in next 2 weeks, and then I can move all my furniture back upstairs and have a garage back. Only 7 weeks until I need it for my wedding.

Cue the mission impossible music.....

Interior bar-work back from the powdercoaters and installed. Upper pick-up points for original seat belts have been retained; bolted in with bars.

IMG_1478252434.441223.jpg

Petrol tank nearly complete. VDO fuel-sender unit installed, central baffle chamber, fuel pick-up Matt, and full foam fill. 34.9L capacity!

IMG_1478252543.347693.jpg

IMG_1478252567.419179.jpg

IMG_1478252585.777984.jpg

Just need to install the Ae:ROFLMAO:ow plumbing up to the old fuel line.

Try 'Holden Vintage and Classic' (www.holden.co.uk) --they do a 'Monza' style fuel filler-cap (part numbers:- 015.184/015.181/015.185/015.182) They may be able to help you out as per the required flange--the thread size of which is 2" or 2-1/2" (depending on the size of filler cap) 16TPI.
thumb.gif
smile.gif

Try 'Holden Vintage and Classic' (www.holden.co.uk) --they do a 'Monza' style fuel filler-cap (part numbers:- 015.184/015.181/015.185/015.182) They may be able to help you out as per the required flange--the thread size of which is 2" or 2-1/2" (depending on the size of filler cap) 16TPI.
thumb.gif
smile.gif

I used them to get door handles etc for my Austin7 delivered to Australia
Very good service.

Seats and bars finally installed.

IMG_1480397315.822229.jpg
IMG_1480397335.621292.jpg

Fuel tank plumbed in, new hard lines front to back.

IMG_1480397387.392584.jpg
IMG_1480397404.179805.jpg

Engine bay stripped of all old tar and matting, re-sprayed with pressure pack for now.

IMG_1480397453.811546.jpg

Sadly it's all but stalled. A combination of renovating my (small) apartment, having my first child (18 months ago), and running my own business has meant all of my free time has been taken up. I am trying to clean up my garage at the moment with a view to get things back on track at some point later this year.

I have been knocking off very minor design jobs, and spending a lot of time over-thinking ways to do things, so hopefully when i get time to work on it i can just start ticking things off the list.

Sadly it's all but stalled. A combination of renovating my (small) apartment, having my first child (18 months ago), and running my own business has meant all of my free time has been taken up. I am trying to clean up my garage at the moment with a view to get things back on track at some point later this year.

I have been knocking off very minor design jobs, and spending a lot of time over-thinking ways to do things, so hopefully when i get time to work on it i can just start ticking things off the list.

That sounds like my Austin 7 resto story . Took 8 years in the end but was worth it...

Back