12313916_1678782445706544_2945075987315921875_n-2.jpg

500 (Classic) Enzo the Cinquecento - RestoMod

Introduction

Enzo the Cinquecento - 500L 110F RestoMod

Hi Everyone,

I bought a 1970 FIAT 500L in November of 2015 with my goal being to have a classic car that I could restore over time, and make some modern improvements along the way. Ideally the car will be a car driven only maybe 1 or 2 days per month, but also be improved so that I can do classic rallies, hill-climbs and social motorsports.

I've always loved the Abarth cars from that era, so the exterior aesthetic styling will be Abarth-based, and the interior will be a more modern GT-style (neat and functional).

The existing 126/650cc engine in the car has been plagued since I bought it so I have now taken the car off the road to commence a large chunk of the work.

Planned works include:
  • Motor
  • 780cc IL Motore competition motor - ORDERED
  • External oil cooler with logic-controlled thermofans
  • ELX ignition
  • Transmission/Driveline
  • Assess gearbox for actual current gear ratio set and final drive
  • Look at options for differentials/LSD
  • Exterior
  • Roll guards to avoid tyre scrub on outer edges (145/70,12) but upgrading to 165/55, 12
  • Install Abarth badging
  • Install raised engine cover
  • Research composite aerodynamic hard roof options for competition spec
  • Abarth Corse mirrors
  • Abarth wipers
  • Bonnet catches front and rear
  • Interior
  • Strip all existing carpet
  • Replace with new carpet or alu/composite floor plates
  • Remove original seats, replace with 2 fixed composite SPARCO bucket seats
  • Remove rear seat entirely, create replacement panel over firewall with sound and heat insulation
  • Replace steering wheel with SPARCO 3-spoke, small dish suede wheel
  • Modify gear shifter to allow for shorter mechanical throw but with more clearance of seats with SPARCO gear knob
  • Replace dash with custom layout, composite wrapped in alcantara
  • Install Race Technology DASH2 (oil pressure, oil temp, air-fuel ratio)
  • Install 2 x HANHART mechanical chronometers for classic rally
  • Modify SPARCO pedals and look at options for brake BIAS adjustment
  • Chassis
  • replace current (lowered) leaf spring suspension with adjustable 2 or 3-way coil-overs (need to research options)
  • strut brace for front towers
  • need to establish rigidity in rear frame and asses if brace required in rear
  • Brakes
  • 4-wheel disc brakes
  • hydraulic handbrake
  • Electronics
  • Strip and re-wire the entire car with a custom mil spec loom
  • Include loom pairs/plugs for sensors (engine, chassis, brake etc)
  • Fuel
  • Remove small fuel tank and replace with larger capacity rated fuel cell
  • Electric fuel pump
  • Wheels and Tyres
  • Yokohama A048 165/55,12
  • Currently has genuine Borrani 4.5,12 wheels. Will keep these for the road.
  • Create custom "turbo-fans", need to assess base wheel for this modification

I have already laser scanned the car to work on some component design, and to do 2D and 3D CFD on the body to look at aerodynamic options to improve engine performance (RAM air box), and also engine cooling, plus optimised location for oil cooler.

I won't have a lot of time to constantly update this, but I will do my best to upload shots as key things are ticked off the list.

I hope to get advice from other owners on a few key parts, as there are a lot of shops out there selling the same stuff, but in my research not many people seem to be using it!

Some of the purists won't like what I'm doing to the car, but my goal is not to jeopardise the shell at all, as that's where this cars value is. I'll be keeping most of the original parts I take off, so I can always restore it back to normal in the future. But I hope everyone appreciates what I'm trying to achieve with this project.

Cheers,
Renato (and Enzo)
The engine looks fantastic. Any chance the car will be heading to AutoItalia Canberra or the Fiat Nationals next year?

Yes, I hope for both. My goal is to have the car finished by this December for use on my wedding day, and then afterwards just enjoy the car and attend club events and shows etc, to meet other owners and learn more about these great little cars.

Yes, I hope for both. My goal is to have the car finished by this December for use on my wedding day, and then afterwards just enjoy the car and attend club events and shows etc, to meet other owners and learn more about these great little cars.

That's good to know. I look forward to seeing it, and also watching the progress. It's also nice to see your planning for the wedding includes the need to get a bigger engine for the 500. ?

Really good looking engine---but I noticed that there is no 'under-carb' support?
confused.gif
smile.gif

Really good looking engine---but I noticed that there is no 'under-carb' support?
confused.gif
smile.gif

Yes, he builds very solid engines. Both he and I don't feel the need for the support. With the 5-bolt manifold, it's very strong and there's no evident deflection. This is nearly his 200th competition FIAT motor, so if he's happy to run without it, I'll take his recommendation; but I do see a lot of people putting support brackets on between the cooling tins and the lower side of the Weber body.

If I have concerns, I will look at laying up some carbon-Kevlar that mounts to the lower screw for the trumpet, and the tin. As a lot of the aluminum ones I've seen look very bulky and quite over-engineered.

Did the motor builder run the engine up before sending it out to you?
What power output his he stating for the build spec. you have ?

From the information I discovered its recommended to change the rear panel for a 500R and use a gearbox support bracket - have you carried this out?

I've upgraded the driveshaft's and couplings in preparation for some swift get-aways !!!

Did the motor builder run the engine up before sending it out to you?
What power output his he stating for the build spec. you have ?

From the information I discovered its recommended to change the rear panel for a 500R and use a gearbox support bracket - have you carried this out?

I've upgraded the driveshaft's and couplings in preparation for some swift get-aways !!!

Yes, dyno and bench test was done at his workshop. 55hp at 7,000 as a safe tune, based on normal 98RON bowser/pump Premium unleaded petrol. It will be good for over 60 no problem, but I have no need to push beyond 7,000rpm; it's been built to have plenty of head-room so that I have a motor that will last.

Yes, the car already had the 500R rear clip, as the previous owner already did a hatchet job of putting a 126/650cc engine in it. I expect some fitment issues with the rear mount (as everyone I see has some sort of clearance issues etc) but I have a couple of springs and some lowering plates/spacers I've made up so I have a few options to play with.

I have not bothered with the extra mount on the gearbox (yet), as I'm not at the install phase, however from the assessments I've done prior, I feel an engine torque-damper is far better as a preventative measure, than putting a lot of stress on the gearbox case with a brace it wasn't designed to take the load of.

Re: Enzo the Cinquecento - 500L 110F RestoMod

Sounds like some wise ideas there!
I have kept with the 500L rear panel but with an 18mm lowering block and uprated Spring. I have fitted the 126 gearbox support which bolts through the gearbox support cradle and a new fixing through the floor in the internally mounted removable panel. It prevents the box twisting...but it's not connected directly to the gearbox casing.

Sounds like some wise ideas there!
I have kept with the 500L rear panel but with an 18mm lowering block and uprated Spring. I have fitted the 126 gearbox support which bolts through the gearbox support cradle and a new fixing through the floor in the internally mounted removable panel. It prevents the box twisting...but it's not connected directly to the gearbox casing.

I don't think I've seen that mount. If you get a chance to get a basic pic of the part, or of it installed, I'd like to see how it looks.

I'm still going to go with the torque-damper though, I prefer the preventive approach to dealing with stresses and loads [emoji3]

Sure thing - have you any images of the damper you have in mind?

Here's a quick update of some of the fabrication work I have underway.

Original seat rails removed with spotweld drill bit, profiled and honeycombed rails fabricated to optimise fixed seat rail position. This will rust coated and left in primer as I plan to put a carpet back in (got to have some creature comforts, right?!)

IMG_1470662343.562624.jpg

Unstitched and fabricated a replica steering shaft clamp that is lowered 25mm to straighten steering column and optimise steering ergonomics for new seat position. This will be rust coated and left as is for now. It will be concealed by a carbon fiber shroud I will lay up.

IMG_1470662366.523912.jpg

Rear bar-work mocked-up for racing harness shoulder strap attachment points. This bolts into the original shoulder strap anchorage points and then three points across the rear bulkhead, with backing plates with captive nuts, allowing removal of the whole bar assembly in less than 5-minutes. The bar assembly will be finished with a powdercoat satin black. This is also built to a spec to allow for continued road car registration in Australia. I didn't want a full cage (illegal) or half-cage in the car.

IMG_1470662531.224333.jpg

Do you have a supplier of the stabilizer bar for the engine unit?
Want one
Want one!

Does anyone know where I can buy one of the aforementioned engine dampers ?

Does anyone know where I can buy one of the aforementioned engine dampers ?

I was going to make my own, so light-gauge alloy for the brace on left, and then a single valve damper off a lightweight car; like an old Formula Ford damper or hillclimb special etc. the valve will give me a little range for adjustment, and I was going to have 3 or 4 holes to adjust the leverage on the chassis end, so I can find a sweet spot.

Having looked into it - there are many universal engine dampers available for under £30.
The clever bit will be the design and security of the bracket to the inner wing
The connection to the engine block will be where the engine lift hook is bolted to the cylinder head and so a straight forward fabricated bracket is all that's needed - engine end.
My thanks for inspiring a solution.

Back