Technical Engine swap, 16v question

Currently reading:
Technical Engine swap, 16v question

I must admit that i was wrong then, i was absolutely sure i wasn't supposed to mount it in the engine bay...

Since the wiring is already done and it looks relatively neat, i will mount it in the passenger compartment as planned. mounting it in the engine bay would have been much easier though, should have read the manual again then. :)

Yeah, the first run was ":D", had a great adrenaline rush :)

Missing a few bits and pieces to be able to finish it but it's all coming together nicely.

Hi all.

I'm kind of ashamed that the car is not yet finished, but I insist that the project is not scrapped! (I just happen to have another daily driver so it wasn't a priority)

Since my last post, I finished the cooling system, made a turbo manifold, installed the turbo (not connected to the throttle body yet because I'm mapping the engine, but it's a matter of slipping a hose onto the turbo). Another thing is that it's now covered in dust, so it's in desperate need of a good wash. New battery in, and hopefully I'll have everything finished by summer.

Here's a vid:
My dad insisted on filming me instead of the car :D

I'd appreciate it very much if you megasquirt guys could point me in the right direction regarding the spark advance angle tables for a 1.2 16v (I'll use it as a starting point only because the engine is decompressed using a copper head gasket)

Thanks!

Can't help you with the ignition for 16V (or, not within the 5 degree range, this you can guess yourself), but two things:

1. Do not run the turbo engine without the turbo outlet connected. Mr. Rallycinq here tried it on Burple with drastic results. The compressor needs to have resistance. Moreover, there is totally no justification for that, if you do not want boost and have low loads, simply do not press the pedal too quick and too far (y)

2. Folks in PL say that copper gaskets in these engines are a big no-no. But I cannot tell you why, I do not know simply, but I am very curious whether it will hold up for you.

Will take your word for it and connect the turbo. As for the copper gasket, the compression is good, no leaks, no oil in water or water in oil, so my guess is - so far so good. I'll re-tighten the head bolts after a few 1000 km.

The trouble with the turbo is that I'm not running a BOV and didn't want to introduce too much resistance to the compressor = surge.

Appreciate the advice!

EDIT: In the clip, you can hear a metallic noise that could sound like knock, but it's actually two metallic tighteners on the exhaust pipe rattling about... That was the first thing I was worried about!

Last edited:
The trouble with the turbo is that I'm not running a BOV and didn't want to introduce too much resistance to the compressor = surge.

Not having resistance is equally bad. But then, simply get the BOV sorted (y)

Back