Technical Engine problem need help

Currently reading:
Technical Engine problem need help

Glad you stopped driving it before it snapped the belt, even if the outcome looks bad. Could be much worse.
Didn't have the choice on the 100hp engine, as it was totally knackered before I got my hands on it.
However, in this case I would probably lean towards replacing the head with a good second hand one, providing the car is generally in good condition. (I would also replace the engine mount as its been stressed in unintended directions)
It's a fairly simple job (apart from the cam belt, which people seem to regularly invent new ways to screw up). Least amount of dismantling to fix the problem.
I would consider a complete engine swap if it needed a clutch, or it had any other problems which could be fixed at the same time.

In terms of time taken a replacement head would be my option as there's no work to fix the threads ?

Yes.. Indeed

I'm just wondering if the threads can be reworked with the motor still intact

A head removal on a 500 is probably 5 hours labour..

And another @£200 in consumables
(some of those have been bought..)

Having posted the GUIDE about the jobs... I am aware of the space limitations

But you don't need much more room then a screwdriver

Well covered thread but thought I'd pitch in as have direct experience of this issue.
I changed my cam belt and stripped several of the bolts in the mount. The issue I believe is that there are three sets of bolts. 2 are steel into steel but the bracket into the engine is steel into aluminium. There are erroneous howtos out on the internet that use the same high steel into steel torque settings for the bracket to engine bolts. The correct torque from memory is about half (25Nm). But please double check this against the manual. I really wish I had.

I tried to fix my screw up by using a 90 degree drill adapter, jacking the engine right up and tapping helicoils. I'm ashamed to say I bodged it and had to take it to a workshop. Came away £500 lighter. But at that point there was nothing I could really do. The difficulty is the very limited access you have and being able to get your new holes perfectly at right angles to the engine in both dimensions.

Good luck with the repair.

JB Weldit epoxy glue. Truly good stuff. I glued the broken shaft on a stainless steel hoe 15 years ago and its still going. They say you can use it on cylinder heads.... On clean aluminium I am pretty sure you could fill damaged holes, drill and tap and I would back it to work. I dont know if this is helpful but I can testify to its strength where I would certainly not have bet on it. You might be able to remove the mount to give access and it would be a more straight forward drilling job. Might be worth a thought as a last result before head removal and workshops.

Back