Technical Engine diagnostic tool

Currently reading:
Technical Engine diagnostic tool

murvisteve

I am a newbie and this is my first post and it concerns my quest to find a small portable diagnostic tool for my 2005Murvi Fiat Ducato 2.8 JTD. I am fairly certain that the management system is OBD II, the socket for which is to the right of the steering column (RHD). The socket itself appears to a 16 pin socket, but does differ in appearance from that on my 2013 Vauxhall Zafira. (See pic)

I have purchased an unbranded equivalent of the Autel Maxiscan 309. This unit works on my Zafira but on the Ducato the device powers up and allows you to go through the setup process but you cannot get any further into the diagnostic process as it fails to connect. I have since found out that this device does not work on diesel engines.

I understand that there are several different protocols for OBDII mostly concerning the pin connections. It is easy to get to the back of the diagnostic tool plug, so I’m wondering if it would be possible, and indeed, if anyone else has done this, to modify the plug wiring to allow it to talk to the engine management system. Or am I way off beam!

Alternatively, can anyone suggest a small, cost effective, portable unit that will allow me to carry out diagnostics and clear the fault lights whilst I am touring. I have looked at the MultiECUScan package, but do not really want to lug a laptop around with me.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Attachments

• fiat-ducato-2-cover-obd2-connector.jpg
    fiat-ducato-2-cover-obd2-connector.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 67
Alfaobd android and an elm327 work ok for basic engine diagnostics

EOBD wasnt a requirement for LCV diesels until January 2007. It's not eobd standard on the 244 you can get data from some endpoints but the data is not in the correct format or requires math to make readable.

Back